iPad Virtual Pool

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arn, Sep 10, 2008.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Virtual Pool

Having tried it yet. looks interesting. $9.99

arn

2. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Looks interesting. Let us know what you think of the controls, and whether they're actually any good at that "ground-level" view.
    I got PosiMotion's Pool awhile back, with only an overhead view, but it's pretty good.

3. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Yeah, looking forward to your feedback.
    In my opinion, what makes this game so attractive is there appears to be somewhat of a "season" mode with different competitors and such, in turn giving this game a lot of potential longevity.

4. camsoft

camsoft New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    I've not bought this yet, but I had this for my WindowsMobile a few years ago and it was amazing, I loved it.

I've just bought it so will let you know.

5. camsoft

camsoft New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Ok, just tried it.

It falls short of the WindowsMobile version. It seems rushed out and a little buggy. The graphics could be better and there is no music like the VM version.

The menus are hard to use and need to be re-designed to better make use of the iPhone interface. They have taken the WM version and ported it to the iPhone but I think they could do better.

The actual game play is very good and it has a good campaign mode.

Hopefully some updates will come out to improve this. I just wish developers would stop rushing out applications to make a quick buck.

6. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Thanks for your review/comments camsoft. Based on the need for updates and the appearance that it was rushed, I won't be downloading this now. As a matter of principle for me, I try not to support rushed games and then hope for an update to improve. I have to currently assume that the game will remain 'as is', and based on your comments, doesn't seem like it's worth $9.99.

7. camsoft

camsoft New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is great, but it does appear to be a direct port of the WM version and I think they could do better.

8. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Fair enough. But because it's on the highest end of pricing at this time, it just doesn't seem worth it at this time. Thanks again for your feedback so far.

9. I love this game, although it isn't without it's faults. It plays perfectly, with the speed of your drag affecting the speed of your shot. The table and ball graphics are excellent- even the balls have got a marble-type reflective texture.
    The downside is the menu buttons are a little hard to press sometimes, and the top-down view of the table is extremely buggy- there are no graphics for the floor, so when you are able to move the top-down view around, you just see copies of the table graphics overlapping themselves behind it. Plus, when you nominate a pocket in the top-down view, it is represented by a rubbish yellow square (why??), and not only that, but you have to press the confirmation button TWICE just to go back to taking your shot (and even then, the cue mysteriously appears on the table for some silly reason).
    Overall though, DEFINITELY the best Pool game so far, as I love it's graphics, realistic gameplay, and career mode. But it really does need an update to sort the rubbish top-down view out.

10. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Just wanted to give a little update about the online update...

from a post on another board dated March 4th:
    followed by:
    So, believe it or not Virtual Pool with online play is still coming soon....

11. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    this is the BEST pool app out there.

the map rendering is retarded but the controls, physics and design of the pools and balls are INSAAAAANE!!!

12. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    If you're looking for a straight pool game without all the fluff and clutter, VP is it. And you get to play through various circuits.