iPad Vir2L Base Jumper

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wiesse, Apr 19, 2009.

1. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
  2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #2 djflippy, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    Nope

I didn't and the fake reviews were the reason, if I recall correctly.

Edit: I stand corrected. I checked and this isn't the recent game I was thinking of. That one had like 15 reviews on day one, most of which mentioned the developer's name and used all the obvious buzzwords, with no suggestions for improvement. This currently has 5 5-star reviews, which isn't unthinkable.

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I have.. I like the game better than the other 2 skydive games.. still need to play it more though.

4. Wow... and Vir2L Studios is a subsidiary of ZeniMax, a big media conglomerate. And they're engaging in fake reviews?

Just sad.

Gives me an idea for a new column, though...

5. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I bought it...skydiver, one day basejumper here, so I can't resist games like this.

it's TOTALLY lame. 3 1-minute levels, that may as well be pre-rendered. all you do is use the accelerometer to steer through rings on a pre-defined course to the target. you can't crash, you can't change course. it's totally on-rails and isn't even very pretty. I would give it a 0.5/5. (It is slightly fun...but isn't even worth $.99 for the _3 minutes_ of content, let alone $1.99)

Glyder is MUCH better IMHO at giving a base jumping "experience"...which is sad, because it's a fantasy game about going through a dimensional rift. lol

6. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Eh, well that's disappointing. I'll definitely avoid this one.

7. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  8. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    #8 writingsama, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    people actually go spend 3 minutes just shooting hoops.

in the Urban level, the rings don't even follow the course. They float out in front of you as you as the buildings rotate around you. in the grand canyon level you practically fly straight. it has nothing to do with base jumping but is a quick crap-out-and-capitalize-on-skydiving-games piece of junk.

Glyder, iSkyDive and FreeFall'n are *all* better alternatives, and *all* less expensive.

Moreover, Glyder actually gives an experience much closer to the video you posted. this game does not.

it's totally stupid and a complete waste of money. spend $1.99 on an episode of Lost, it will entertain you for 15 times as long.

Don't believe me? Look at the iTunes description. "Base" is said over and over. it's BASE, morons, it's an acronym. the devs didn't even bother to learn THAT about the activity. it reflects in the gamelplay.

I've done 5 tandem and 2 solo jumps in real life. I actually *know* what it feels like to fly through the air. This game does NOT reproduce the experience in the least. it is like you are flying through rings with a movie of flying through an environment around you. it's stupid and expensive.

9. Grist

Grist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    VP of Marketing
    Massachusetts
    I bought this game...

...and removed it five minutes later. It's junk.

10. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Hybrid Mobile Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm almost tempted to buy the game to leave a 1 star review.

11. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Most of the reviews do seem fake, given that most reviewers have only reviewed this game and no others.

I wonder if that Rich_952000 guy is fake too? Veeerrrry suspicious! LOL just kiddin man :D ;)

12. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm really confused...why did you quote me? I didn't say anything about fake reviews. I just gave my own views after having purchased and "played" it.

perhaps you're referring to my un-capitalization of base. notice how little I capitalize anything? including most acronyms. however, their official webpage and iTunes page show mostly correct grammar, yet repeatedly say "Base jumping" instead of "BASE jumping," which indicates they actually think it's Base, which it isn't.

13. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    You guys caught me, I'm really a rich corporate executive, engaging in decieving unsuspecting......

14. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    At least I am not the only one that likes this game better than the other 2 games.. Glyder is the best but it is more of a relaxing game.. not the same feel at all.

15. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    iBASEjump is out for $1.99 might be better for those that don't like this game. :)
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=312276937&mt=8

http://www.ibasejump.com/ Screens
    "B.A.S.E. stands for Building, Antenna, Span, Earth. BASE jumping is like sky diving but you jump off a land structure instead of out of a plane. This make BASE jumping much more dangerous, since you literally only have seconds before fatal impact with the ground. Plus you don't have a backup parachute! Some say these reasons make BASE jumping the most extreme and death defying sport humanly possible! Who wants to safely sky dive when you can risk it all BASE jumping ... and attain true happiness. Nothing else compares. iBASEjump allows you to experience the rush in first person perspective in over 12 world class locations."

16. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I KNEW it.

@Writingsama: Ya was referring to the capitalization of BASE (you gotta admit it's a little ironic;) ), not fake reviews. Other people mentioned those and I was agreeing with them.