Universal Viking's Journey: The Road to Valhalla (by creators of Dungelot)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixeye, Nov 1, 2014.

1. big_daddy

big_daddy New Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #101 big_daddy, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    +1

@Pixeye great game and great idea (Threes' mechanics in a puzzle-RPG), but you should warned to buyers that it was a paid beta!

I'm a very big fan of Dungelot and really love your work, but... please... take care of testing process in your app development business.

2. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I lost absolutely nothing when upgrading... Good job.

Only issue I have is the "rate us" notification simply won't go away. And I did leave a positive rating. lol

The increased coin flow is appreciated btw.

3. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I have already rated the game, and I keep hitting "never remind me again" when prompted, yet I am still harassed to rate the game after every run.

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I am on the fence about buying this game. Played Dungelot 1 but skipped Dungelot 2 because of myriad of issues.

Interested in the game despite the worrisome feedback and reviews.

Some questions:

1. Is this game meant to be played like Dungelot and Rogue, in that the player is EXPECTED to die over and over again so to come back to reattack the game levels with more powerful characters? Or can the game be won on a single run on first try if you are skillful enough?

2. Is it true that the game actually has an end when you reach Valhalla so that the game is not perpetual like Dungelot? If so, how long is the expected campaign? How large is this campaign (levels, etc.)?

3. I heard about the economy imbalance. Will you have enough coins to buy all of the gears and upgrade your character to max before reaching the final battle in a single playthrough?

5. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    You won't get anywhere on your first play... Probably be in the second area on your 50th play. There are three large areas so there is an ending.

It's the best three bucks you'll spend lately. Only issue left is the "rate us" nag screen.

6. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #106 Lazer Kat, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    1) yes. Winning first try (or 50th) is impossible.
    2) I have read as much, but haven't reached it. I have sank several hours into it and haven't reached the third area.
    3) yes. After the hour of grinding at the beginning (if you are patient enough to make it past this), the coin drops pick up.

@Pixeye - constantly asking the player to rate the game in it's current state could be a very negative thing. I suspect you'll get flooded with 1-3 star ratings.

7. Neddy F

Neddy F Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I have lost progress too since the update.

8. Benholio

Benholio Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2012
    The ratings seems broken on iPhone, too - it links to the iPad version of the app.

I'm not sure what happened to the gold accumulation rate. The bonus for unused items must be pretty large and it must happen throughout a playthrough or something. I had all of the digger upgrades before the first update and it still took a nice long run to get 1k-2k gold. After the first update, a long run gave me 30-50k gold.

9. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    We were basically called assholes by the Dev for rating the game low, now TA a gave it the same rating I've given it (and with the exact same flaws listed). Maybe the Dev will understand we aren't being mean, just honest.

10. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
  11. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Thanks - you just saved me some $$$! Appreciated!

12. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Just read the TA review. I'll be watching for news of patches. I love Red Winter's work and would buy this if it were improved a bit.

13. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    i also just read the review and i have to say, i completely disagree with the score.

the reviewer seems to like the game a lot and has fun with it - it deserves way more than 2.5 stars! (in my opinion)

after playing some more the gold 'income' raises rather quickly.

i'm having tons of fun with this game and i feel sorry for the devs because most people won't even take a closer look at the game when they see a rating of 2.5 stars..... they'll be missing a cool game.

14. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Anyone know why sometimes I cannot select items from the bottom of the screen? I had, for example, one health item and another that turns any object in the grid to a sword but neither were selectable. Is this intentional or a bug?

I also feel the rating for this is way too low. It's a really cool and fun game that deserves much higher.

Jamie

15. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    one small bug: i have 968 gold and on main menu there's a '2' on upgrades, but the cheapest one i can buy now is 1200.

16. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    I'll check that.

Well, as far as I understood reviewer looked at old version. Hope he will look at new one too!

In plans releasing android version and make new update with new enemies that shares different attack style and mechanic ( freezing runes on field and so on )

17. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #117 Lazer Kat, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    I would love to see a power up mode that is similar to the way alchemy is set up. The problem I have with alchemy is that none of them seem to be worth using. The negatives outweigh or at least balance out the positives. Why would I want 20% extra damage if all enemies have 20% extra damage? Doesn't that simply put me back to square one, with a quicker game?

18. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    I'll gather more feedback and make decision about balancing alchemy and powerups.

The main idea of using extra damage is to kill monster before he even hits. Than his extra damage won't bother you.

But this is how I thought : ))) As I said, I'll gladly reconsider powerups in future

19. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    #119 wyzau, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    For everyone that moans about getting gold too slow: :)
    (and i get ridiculous ammounts of gold for opening a chest - at least 1000g)

Attached Files:

20. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    another question: how do i change starting level?
    i see 'current world: Midgard', but i don't see the arrows like in your screenshot