Universal Viking's Journey: The Road to Valhalla (by creators of Dungelot)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixeye, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Benholio

Benholio Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2012
    When you defeat a combat enemy, your highest stack of coins is collected.

I agree with many of the points here regarding the pacing, random bad luck that is insurmountable, etc., but it hasn't stopped me from playing over and over so I guess they are doing something right. :)

The only tip I have to offer is to spend on the Digger upgrades (coin runes) early and often. Not only does it give you the obvious benefit of increasing your income (the first purchase doubles it), it also helps make the rune-changer items much more powerful. When your coins start at 3 or 5 or whatever, you will always have stacks of them laying around that you can convert to swords/shields/etc. to great effect.

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I thought Dungelot 2 exceeded the original by far once the tweaks were made.

3. Benholio

Jul 13, 2012
    Another tip that isn't obvious - well it wasn't to me anyway. The shield item will block the damage that you would take when your board fills up and resets.

4. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #44 Lazer Kat, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    You mean using the item that blocks the next attack?
    If so, that's a great tip.
    That is usually run ending.

I'm so thrown off by the seemingly random nature of this game.

When you don't have enough shields to ride the ram you never know what will happen.
    It could fill the board if you barely miss the goal, or you could just get one block if you miss it by a ling shot.

And yes...I agree...they have done something right because I keep playing as well...which is why I increased my rating from 2.5/5 to 3.5/5. The game still has a ton off faults.

I'd much rather the upgrades and stats have been done differently...

5. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Really? Good to know!!

6. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, I'm not aLone who looked for new content in Dungelot 2. After all the fixes it's great and very eye-pleasing game, but dev don't want to continue it. Maybe we should kickstart new content?)

7. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Whatever it takes!

8. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    #48 MasonHurst, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Hmmm... You mean simply having the item down in your collection will stop the pain when the board resets?
    Or do I have to use it right before the board fills completely?

Never mind - I know what piece you are talking about using now.

I don't mind the randomness as I expect to have to play a lot of short games before I have a satisfying one... still the gold flow is pretty slow even with an upgrade in that dept. I wonder if it was designed earlier as a pocket picking FTP title originally as then the glacial pace would make sense.

About gold collection... I've noticed that if I open a chest I DON'T get the highest value coin available. I had a piece worth 8 and I think it only gave me 2.

So maybe the chest is an exception?

9. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    I really don't understand the haste and anger of some gamers that put 1/5, 2/5 to game just because they don't get much coins as they want.

This is simple matching game and as for me it's fun to play.

We work on update to add new stuff and of course I'll make slight changes to balance. But hysteria is annoying.

Cheers.

10. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #50 Lazer Kat, Nov 5, 2014
    I rated it 2/5 at the beginning (but have changed it to 3/5). It's not because I don't get as many coins as I'd like. It's because:
    - the games economy was balanced improperly which makes the constant grinding of early gameplay boring/annoying
    - you planned a coin-doubler which makes us pay (again, we've already bought the game) to fix the games unfair economy. This means you purposefully balanced the economy wrong, so we would pay to get an appropriate amount of coins.
    - the games core mechanics seem poorly thought out.
    - the game is random in all of the wrong ways. It unfairly gives you challenges that are simply impossible. This is frustrating at best.
    - to me this seems like another case of you using the paying public to beta test your game. I may be wrong, but going off of my past experience with your games, and now with this one...it feels like you release the game thinking "I will see what everyone says about it after they pay for it, and then fix what needs to be fixed.", instead of doing a comprehensive beta stage that fixes the obvious issues.

There are a lot of positives. The game has so much potential, but it just isn't there yet.
    So no - I didn't rate it poorly simply because it doesn't give me as many coins as I'd like. I rated it poorly because I feel it deserves a lower rating.

11. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I don't mind the pace, it keeps you working towards a goal.

Don't forget about Dungelot 2....it got great reviews once some things were fixed and a content update would help some new people discover it, giving it a true second chance and helping to put the previous debacle in the past for good.

12. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #52 Lazer Kat, Nov 5, 2014
    Pixeye - how much do you plan on charging for the doubler?
    Also, Looking at the ratings in the US App Store (currently 2/5), all of the ratings say the same thing. Do you think that there may actually be an issue? All of those people are saying the exact same thing I'm saying. We paid for a game, but the economy is balanced worse than most freemium releases.

Still - I have hope that this game will live up to it's potential (which is high).

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am generally supportive of developers here, but it would be better to listen to your customers rather then criticize them; particularly for a paid game. I am on the fence with Lost Viking, so hopefully Pixeye will pay attention to reviews and balance things better or perhaps this is intended to be paidmium all along.

14. Benholio

Jul 13, 2012
    I've been having a lot of fun with this game, but I think I just ran into a progression-stopping design flaw.

I had a particularly good run that took me into the second area. Cool! I didn't make it very far into it, but that's okay. I spent some of my earned coins and then headed back into the fray. It started me right at the second area. Great!

Except now, starting from a blank board in the second area, it is virtually impossible for me to defeat the first enemy. I have 225 health and my sword runes start at 3, and I can't beat the first guy. If a ram spawns, it requires 86 shields - a completely impossible amount.

Before unlocking the second area, I was making a nice 1000-2000 gold per run. Now that I am starting in the second area automatically, I'm making 0 gold per run and I have no way to advance my character any further. Unless I'm missing something, I'm completely stuck.

15. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #55 Lazer Kat, Nov 5, 2014
    +1

I'm sure you aren't missing something. We paid to beta test this app, so hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

16. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I think there is no need for huge changes, just some tweaks in the beginning rate of collecting coins; after playing around 30 games and having bought some upgrades (coin rune power is fundamental in this regard) the flow of cash is more acceptable.

I would suggest to make the quests easier at the beginning so that you can complete one almost every run and get those extra 50-100 golds; the way they are now it just doesn't work going straight to quests that take 10+ runs to complete (or 20+) like running 20,000 meters or slaying 250 enemies; making them progressive would greatly help (run 5,000 meters, then 10,000 then 20,000).

By the way i have a quest now that requires to buy 20 upgrades and it's broken; not only doesn't take in consideration upgrades bought previously (as it should be) but doesn't register new ones.

Regarding the coin doubler i have to admit that thinking about it i changed my mind; this shouldn't be the solution to a broken game economy; as the game is paid for it should have a working economy and then eventually there could be an option for a coin doubler for overly lazy people or just to tip the developer for the good job.

I'm still confident the developer will work on the game and improve it with time but i would suggest to get some better beta testers next time as it's quiet obvious from also previous experiences with your games that the ones you are using now are not doing a very good job...

PS: i understand the frustration of being criticised after working for months on a project, doing your best; i also understand that some frustration might still be a consequence of the issues with Dungelot 2 and the consequent stress; however the vast majority of the posts in this thread that were complaining about the game economy were not harsh nor rude nor unfair; there are some experienced gamers here that paid for a game and have suggestions to make it better in order for it to succeed; i suggest you listen to those people; if we find the time to write suggestions or critics it means we care about the game; we think this game could be really good but as it stands it might fail by pushing people away; if it fails we will not get a better experience from it either as the game will be dropped and not updated.

As for the people that don't criticise constructively, but for the sake of it,just forget about them; the world is full of as...les and it's unlikely people here will listen to them anyway; reputation goes a long way to choose whose opinion listen to and whose not...

17. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Can someone please tell me exactly what distance the second area occurs, so I can try to be extra prepared befor entering?

18. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Any game where you can earn more in game money by posting to facebook than it takes to play the game has the balance completely off. on a side note, you post to Facebook but you don't seem to get the coins, it seems that being broken has inadvertently fixed the balance.

19. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    How invasive is the Facebook component? What rewards does it reap? Also, any word on the doubler and how would that help? I have yet to buy the game and realize it's not much, but have grown tired of buying games and never playing them...

Thanks in advance and apologies if asked before...

20. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    It's not invasive at all. It's a button...that's it. You can use it and it'll post once and you get 150 coins. I have a fake FB account for moments like these and I actually used it for this. Worked fine.

In a way the game already HAS a coin doubler...then a tripler...then...well you see where I'm going. If you upgrade your coins value they do a lot more than double.

That said - the upgrades also keep rising in price so it's still on the slow side.

I see this game as great to noodle on while you watch TV or something. It doesn't demand that much of your attention and is meant to be played over and over. I like the mechanic and the random factor.

I don't mind the slow pace as I don't want the game to be over too soon anyways. I was bummed when I finally had every item and upgrade in D2 so I'm not in any hurry.