Universal Viking's Journey: The Road to Valhalla (by creators of Dungelot)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixeye, Nov 1, 2014.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #21 rIcHrAnDoM, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    If you have the amount required when the ram attacks, you can mount him and he charges you forward several meters :)

2. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm going to get this purely as a "thank you" for D2. He had some issues... never gave up on it and it's the best at what it is. I'm also hopeful for a couple more dungeons eventually.

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Ah, thank you.

4. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Agreed! D2 is the best! This game is good too. I am curious to see what new stuff is added to this one.
    I'll always support Red Winter.

5. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    I like this game. It's slow going at first but the occasional good runs and quick game times make it a "one more time" kinda affair.

The Facebook connect doesn't work for me either # I wouldn't normally care but with this game you need the coins.

IPad Air 2 w/8.1

6. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    The game is great and fun. It has a 2048 feel mixed with RPG. The only thing is that it takes too much runs to get the second upgrades if everything. I make around 50 per run, which means 10 runs for one update. Else I like it.

7. Anteros

Anteros Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Pretty stupid that you can't use your runes to save yourself after your last move. I find that the most annoying aspect of the game. I also think you should get a choice of runes skill.

8. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    It would be nice to not have to wait for a campfire to appear to use your meat. This principle goes for the rest of them - using the runes you have available during each battle...

9. spsummer

spsummer Active Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Quick question, Does this game require an internet connection to play? Thanks

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Quick answer, no.

11. MasonHurst

Jan 9, 2013
    So what upgrade(s) do you think I should get first? My FB connect doesn't seem to work so I've got only a small amount to work with so far...

I'll follow your guidance #

12. skidz26

skidz26 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    As much as I like this game, without a coin doubler its a grind fest. I've upgraded the coin rune x2 and the max life to 75 but it's still proving a mission to save up enough for other upgrades. I think I'm drawn to this game because I can see its potential and I'm a sucker for punishment (Wife and 2 kids). Without some tweaks to gameplay or a coin doubler ASAP or daily rewards a lot of people will be turned off this great game.

13. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    EXACTLY! It's a lot of fun but the upgrade path is a tremendous grind. Please, please, please be more giving with the money!!

14. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #34 Lazer Kat, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Awesome idea
    Cool graphics
    Lots of potential...
    But I feel like I just paid for a half baked beta version of an idea that's still in motion. I feel like the gameplay mechanics aren't fleshed out yet, and surely this was an accidental release.

Yes. I know it wasn't. That's how I feel. This idea has so much potential, but they stopped...here?

And yes. The money comes SLOW. Like freemium slow.
    There's no sugar-coating the fact tha you guys purposefully blocked the currency in gameplay, and instead made it available for social network sharing.

That maneuver is only acceptable in free games.

Oh...and the orientation is stuck. That's the worst.

As it is: 3.5/5

15. skidz26

skidz26 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    With all due respect Lazer Kat I think calling it half baked is a bit harsh.
    After some grinding I've upgraded the following:
    Digger level 3
    Life level 2
    Rune master level 1
    With these upgrades the game is ALOT more enjoyable and runs are longer. I think I'm getting more satisfaction by earning the upgrades via grinding then just buying them with real money but having a coin doubler available is still recommended.

16. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I have to agree with this; the game is fun and enjoyable but the progression is a bit too slow; a coin doubler would be good and in general some more money per run in order to be able to buy upgrade faster; at the moment even the first missions are hard to achieve (kill 10 monsters in one go etc).

A couple of more tweaks would be nice too, as it stands now if you get a ram straight away at the beginning is almost impossible to match enough shields to avoid it and the result can be disastrous for the run; sometimes i got like 5 stone blocks for being hit by a ram.

Aside from those points the game is fun and has a lot of potential; i've been playing Dungelot a lot and D2 some (that game had issues from the beginning and never really managed to overcome them all) and i have a lot of respect for the developer so i know he'll work to improve the game; hopefully some fixes will come out fast as i believe in this state the game might push away some people for having a too slow progrssion.

17. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #37 Lazer Kat, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    A coin doubler, in this scenario, is simply admitting the in game economy is not balanced properly, and then asking us to pay to adjust it.

One thing that would obviously help...explain exactly how to collect coins. As it is I just try to get the highest number I can while still focusing on the objective. The tutorial doesn't explain how coins are handed out, and all I know Is that I get very few (sometimes between 2-10, sometimes 20 or 30) in an average run, yet any meaningful upgrade starts at 500-2000.

I've considered the fact that maybe I just suck. However, I have achieved the 2048 tile (multiple times), and my score in Three's was always respectable compared to my friends. I think it's just the game is tweaked for masochists.

One thing I will give the game credit for is I haven't given up. That says a lot about it.

18. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I bought Dungelot on iOS and Android, great game, I played Dungelot 2 but that was just.... well not the best experience.

I'm willing to give this a go as but I'll wait for more feedback, before I pay for it. Was going to try one of the promo codes but the go to quick to get one.

Good luck with the game and I hope its a better experience than Dungelot 2 was, hope its more in line with what Dungelot the original game was, that was great and simple and I played it to death.

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I've been literally playing this one to death! My GF has seen me playing so much that she even bought it...and has gotten pretty good at it too :)

20. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    As i see it, the only way to get gold is as follows:
    If you slay an enemy, you always get the piece of gold with the highes value.

I don't know of any other way to get gold.

Maybe there are some other ways later on.....

i'd like to know if you always buy upgrades as they become available or save the gold for later upgrades?