Universal Vigil RPG (by Aggro Magnet Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AggroMagnetGames, Nov 11, 2014.

1. AggroMagnetGames

AggroMagnetGames Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Repulsa, awesome, glad you're enjoying it! :) Hit me up if you've got any specific questions!

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi Jonathan,

This is a really fun game. I hadn't heard of it beforehand, but I bought it a while ago while on sale and only now am I starting to play it.

Any hopes for a sequel or something? :)

Best.

3. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks, I'm glad you like Vigil RPG!

I wrote Vigil RPG because it was the kind of game I wanted to play, yet couldn't find on the App Store: A light, quick, 1-hand RPG for iPhone that nevertheless featured interesting decision-making in the combat system.

A sequel is not in the works yet, but it might happen in the future, especially if I once again get the itch for a particular gameplay feature that I can't find elsewhere on the App Store!

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks. Yes, that is precisely why I like it so much as well.

I'll keep an eye out for what you come up with in the future :)

Thanks!

5. Discostallion

Discostallion Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Please, Sir, I want some more.

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but glad to have found it. I think that from a game mechanics point of view, this is one of the best, & most innovative RPGs I've played. Amazing job AggroMagnet!

My one request is somehow, someway bring us more content built on this superb engine :D

6. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Discostallion, thanks, I really appreciate the kind words!

One thing you could do to help, next time you have a spare minute, would be to leave a review for Vigil RPG on the App Store. I aspire someday to not have the "We have not received enough ratings to display an average for this app" message appear on the Reviews tab. :)

(I didn't put any kind of review nag into the Vigil RPG app itself because I don't like review nags in games, and I decided that I wasn't going to put anything into Vigil RPG that I don't like!)

Edit: Discostallion, I just checked, and I see that you already left a review. Thank you! :-D

7. Discostallion

Discostallion Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Sometimes I need a reminder to leave a review. My biggest beef with those prompts is that they tend to pop early in a game, before I have had a chance to really evaluate it.

Having a simple "Review" button on the title screen that links you to the AppStore would work well I think.

8. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
  9. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    I bought this because of the interview. A great game! I love that player knowledge directly translates into better character performance.

Has anyone ever gotten 5 stars on some of the earlier quests? Or all the quests? I'm a little obsessed with writing down all the mobs' combat patterns to see if I can perfect a play through. Has anyone else recorded and posted that info?

10. Styrixa

Styrixa Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    PA, USA
    and I left a 5 star review on the App Store.

11. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks so much, Styrixa! :)

It definitely is possible to get a "gold 5-star" rating on all of the quests in the game! Probably not on a first playthrough, though, where you don't know all of the enemies' patterns (and the most efficient routes through the dungeons) in advance!

If you have any questions on the behavior of specific enemies, ask away, and I can provide (spoiler-tagged) tips!

12. mdthielen77

mdthielen77 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this. It is simple and challenging but also fun. Thanks for doing the interview on how you developed the game and the various resources you used. I left you a review on the App Store.

13. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome, mdthielen77, I'm glad you're enjoying Vigil RPG, and thanks for the review!

If you have any questions about the game, whether it's strategy, technical stuff, or whatever, just reply here and let me know! :)

14. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    To celebrate Vigil RPG's soon-to-be 5 years on the App Store, I'm excited to announce a huge free update coming soon: Vigil RPG Special 5th Anniversary Edition!

This will be Vigil RPG's first update since 2015, and it's a big one! It adds:
    • Universal (iPad) support!
    • Full native resolution on new devices including iPhone X and iPhone 11!
    • New and reworked enemies, making Vigil RPG's trademark "even non-boss fights feature meaningful decisions -- yet are still quick and respect your time" battle system even more interesting!
    • New music!
    • Oodles of new in-game commentary, tips, and humor from your favorite root-beer-serving bartender, Bo!
    • Local high scores! Challenge your own best times!
    • Lots more!
    Own the full game now for the lowest price at which Apple allows me to sell it, US $0.99 or your local equivalent!

The price will be going up when the new update comes out, so now is a great time to jump in and check out the game that everyone's favorite RPG reviewer, Shaun Musgrave, called one of the best 10 JRPGs available on iOS!

Anotherkellydown and athros like this.
  15. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    The Vigil RPG Special 5th Anniversary Edition update is now live! Grab it on the App Store here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vigil-rpg/id911657250?ls=1&mt=8

To celebrate, I'd like to give up to 10 people the opportunity to get a free App Store promo code to unlock the full game! I'll send a private message with a code to the first 10 people to reply to this thread with something you learned and thought was cool from the thread posted earlier today to the Aggro Magnet Games account on Twitter about a minor change that was made to one of Vigil RPG's enemies in the Anniversary Update. It needs to be something unique -- not the same thing as any of the prior posters. :)

(Offer valid only while Vigil RPG is still actively on the App Store -- which it should be for the forseeable future, but with Apple, sometimes you never know! It also may take me a day or two to review responses on this thread, but I'll do my best to check as frequently as my schedule permits!)

16. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Excellent, thank you

17. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    Why is not available in korean appstore?

18. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    You can deal with incoming spells by using interrupt

19. AggroMagnetGames

Nov 6, 2014
    Software developer
    Michigan, USA
    Per information in Apple's app submission process, for an app to be listed on the Korean App Store, there's a special requirement called "Trade Representative Contact Information", where you need to provide a physical street address for contact information for the app. Since as a solo developer, that would be my home address, I wasn't entirely comfortable providing that information, just in case someone decided they REALLY didn't like the game for whatever reason. :)

Nice work tracking down that thread, Dailon80! DM sent to you with your unlock code!

That interrupt mechanic is actually one of my favorites. I really enjoyed, in my early days of playing World of Warcraft, venturing with a group of friends into the Wailing Caverns, and experiencing the serious havoc that could occur when a party member was hit with an enemy druid's Sleep spell -- and then figuring out that the Sleep spell was the one with the "glowy blue hands" casting animation, and that it could be prevented by hitting that Druid with a Shield Bash while it was being cast.

That mechanic ended up translating really well to Vigil RPG! If you can anticipate that the foe is going to cast a spell in the upcoming round, you can use an ability with the Interrupt property, and the enemy's spell will be nullified, and they'll effectively lose their action for that round!

This ties in with the whole Vigil RPG mechanic of figuring out how to tell what the enemy is going to do next. In the case of spellcasters, in some cases, an obvious message will be shown at the end of the prior round like "[Foe] starts casting a spell!" -- although you'll want to try and figure out the way to tell *which* spell they're casting, and whether it's worth spending your own limited MP to interrupt it!

For some other enemies, there is not an explicit announcement in the prior round, but there will still be another way to know that a spell is coming. (The Twitter thread mentions the trick of how to tell for the Goblin Mage enemy!)

If you listen to the tips from the bartender character in town, he'll often give hints on how to anticipate the moves of whatever enemy types you'll be facing on the quest(s) you are on currently!

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Normally rpg’s like this are instant buys for me, but from all the screenshots I have seen I believe that this game will just look like a bunch of squares on a large screen, such as my iPad Pro 12.9”. :(