iPad Video of Katamari for iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zztfox, Dec 14, 2008.

1. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    This is not my video, I am just using this for questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdDOR8gelsI

Video by parislemon

Is this as laggy as everyone says it is?
    If so, I may get this because if this is all the lag there is, It does not bother me.

About the calibration issue, can you reset the neutral point by tapping the Katamari, because that would fix the only issue I have heard that would really hurt the game in my eyes.

2. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks for this :)

3. Nice find, thanks. Here it is-

4. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Don't thank me, thank parislemon for at least a glimpse of the game.

Still wonder how it would play on a 2g iPod Touch.

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I love square Youtube videos. Thats why I have to embed everytime, since all of them have gone HD. Why Google, why.

6. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    it does seem to run quite sluggish..I can see the frame-rate issues people are talking about.

It's not something I would be comfortable playing with to be honest.

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    No that is not all the lag. The game works really well as you start out but once the katamari moves up to the next level (10cm) it becomes progressively harder to control due to the lag.

No you can't calibrate at all. Tapping then holding the katamari slows it down then holds it in place without moving. Tapping it repeatedly charges the spin so you can dash.

Hope that helps. If you want to know anything else just ask

8. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I thought people said it lagged when the ball got really big...

9. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies!

I wish there was someway to contact Namco and get them to address these issues, I REALLY want this game to work....

God, it is tempting to just hit the buy button, but I must resist!

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Lag becomes noticeable once the first level up happens. It's not unplayable just a little frustrating. Around 30cm it became a chore for me to roll around.

I also noticed that there are some issues with collision detections as I rolled over items I could pick up but they wouldn't "stick" to the katamari

11. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #11 Chase, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    Well, If you wanna get technical, the old YouTube videos used to be a 4:3 ratio, which is the standard ratio for TV's and such. Newer is 16:9, which is the HD standard. :B

ANYWAY... I didn't notice any lag on his iPhone 3G, even with my computer usually playing YouTube videos pretty crappy (It's an old PowerBook G4). I'm seriously considering getting this game.

12. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #12 Wasted, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    I only played the first level, but when the ball grows the image freezes and slowing down to a few frames per second. Its a real shame because I really love the franchise so I hope they update it soon.

13. zztfox

zztfox Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Could everyone who has played it list the Ipod/iPhone they are using and also if they reset before play, etc...

Thanks!

14. Wasted

Wasted Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I installed the game, then when it finished I immediatelyrestarted. I'm on a 16 gb iphone 2.2

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It has nothing to do with resetting or even system memory. It's an issue with the game itself.

I'm on a 1stgen jailbroken iphone with a 1 gig partition for system memory.

I've heard that the 2nd gen touch doesn't have issues but the lag doesn't happen til I play for about 3-4 minutes (that's how long it takes me to get to 30cm). It may just take them longer to see the lag then for the 1st gen devices

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Running it on a not jailbroken iPhone 3G 16GB, rebooted before and after installation but after the first level-up it's becoming veeeery choppy. :(
    I hope soooo much for an update!

17. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    My biggest issue is the callibration of the accellerometer, I'll be sitting straight up one minute and the next I'll be hunched over with my iPod flipped 180degrees. You can sit back straight and press the prince, but it takes a second to recallibrate and while you're waiting you helplessly roll backwards. I don't understand why it progressively recalibrates, but it's a pain.

18. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    i'm on a 3G iPhone 16gb 2.2 and yes it gets laggy and yes the controls get messed up.. An update will make this game worth 2x much as it is now, but as it stands it's worth half..

19. Oma

Oma Well-Known Member

Looks quite neet.

20. VL-Tone

VL-Tone Member

Sep 28, 2008
    I played it on my 2g iPod touch and it's well... playable. It's a fun game which I always wanted to play (never had a PS2 or PSP).

As others mentioned, the worst frame drop happens when your ball gets "power up" or something to that effect. There's some kind of motion blur effect when that happens, and the games literally drops to 2 fps. It's a shame that they've released the game with this kind of problem. Didn't anyone noticed how bad the framerate was when powering up during development? I guess that they wanted to fix that before the release but had a deadline.

Aside from that, the framerate itself doesn't drop that much, but it seems like the whole game slows down as your ball gets bigger.

One thing is that I only recently realized that it's not on the karamari icon that you have to tap to get it to run, but rather on the in-game character itself in the middle of the screen.