VIDEO - Enable Japanese Emoji for 59p/0.99c

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by razorianfly, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    ok iphones and touches....my bad :)

And now my firefox can see them! thanks razorianfly

2. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

Everbody use Firefox!!!! So you can see these!

3. razorianfly

razorianfly Well-Known Member

Trying to get the story onto Mac Rumors or Engadget.
    They're not listening. :rolleyes:

R-Fly

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    after using emoji i deleted the app and everything is still working

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Same here... Awesome!!! My cousin is wondering how the hell I sent him a txt to his iphone with bombs guns and an itallian flag...

6. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Doesn't work with firmware 2.2.1

I posted this in the other Emoji thread and thought I should also post it here.

I still can't get this to work. I've tried everything bar standing on my head!

So I did a google search. It's being reported that this doesn't work if you install this app AFTER you have updated to firmware 2.2.1. It will still work if you installed it prior to updating the firmware.

Apparantly the dev is trying to work out a resolution.

I found this quote in the comments for an article on how to use this app to get the Emoji working:
    --> No longer works under 2.2.1. Why, Apple, why?
    --> SCOTT'S REPLY: That's actually not Apple. According to the Frosty Place site there's some sort of incompatibility they are working to address in 2.2.1 and will have an update available soon.

So if you installed this app after you updated to firmware 2.2.1 don't waste your time trying to get it to work. And if you now want Emoji and you have firmware 2.2.1 installed then hold onto your $0.99 until a resolution is found (if ever).

7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    So what exactly is the point of having Emoji if nobody else can see it? I know exactly ZERO people in Japan who have the iPhone and I've seen a grand total of 3 people with an iPhone since its release, way back in June. And I live in Tokyo!

8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Oh and by the way, is Emoji banned by Apple for some reason? Why all the secrecy?

9. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    iGewappnet has the answer!

Thank-you so much for pointing out this app. Despite several google searches I didn't know about this app and its Emoji easter egg! It was so easy to do and it was free. Fantastic!

Like you I don't know anyone else who has an iphone. None of my friends understand why I like it so much! When I first heard about Emoji I couldn't care less. After all, who on earth was I going to send messages to with Emoji in it? But now I am addicted to that great new app called Distant Shore. And I've been receiving some messages with Emoji in them. And I want to have it too! (I know it's really immature of me so like a 3 year old who sees it and wants it) As for why Apple don't want everyone to have Emoji I don't know why they seem so anti Emoji. I don't see the harm in it at all.

10. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Every iPhone user will see the Emojis! You don't have to enable Emojis on the iPhone to see them, only to use them yourself. So send a SMS to another iPhone user all over the world and he will see all the used Emojis in the SMS or mail.

Yeah, what about Apple not enabling the usage of Emojis on western iPhones? Maybe they licensed the graphics for the Japanese market only.

11. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
  12. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
  13. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I guess my thinking was that this was something that people in Japan would use only. And since no one in Japan has an iPhone (ok that's an exaggeration but for some reason all the iPhone owners always decide to ride on a different train car than me) then what would be the point in having it. Although I guess it makes sense for people in the west to be able to send emoji to other iPhone owners in the west. Is Emoji a Japanese only thing? Do you Yanks not have that over there? I think the entire nation of Japan would spontaneously explode if Emoji somehow disappeared. I've never really gotten into it myself-my phone emails look so dull and drab compared to the average Japanese person's email.

14. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Oh I get it. This isn't some user-created content, this is the actual official emoji from Apple. These programs just unlock it. Ahh I see. In that case, most of the emoji should be able to be displayed on non-iPhone handsets (in Japan anyways). And I guess being in Japan (if I had an iPhone) I wouldn't need to buy this app as my Emoji would already be unlocked.

15. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    It is 0,99 now.