VERY Junior developer help

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 5ku112, Jul 29, 2009.

1. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Tell me about it. I had to buy a new computer, monitor, cables, software, hardware, desks, and chairs. All of that together isn't cheap at all, but it was well worth it ;)

Best of luck to all of the young programmers!

2. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle

Hehe, that's why I applied to get a grant from the film board. Another 15k coming my way...

3. jammertk10

jammertk10 New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Hey I'm in for the dev group thing. My dad is more than willing to help as he is interested in the iPhone platform. Give me a name and I'll PM then with info.

Also I sympathize on the money. I had to buy a new intel mac put of my own pocketbook.

Best of wishes, Jammertk10

4. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    @The Game Reaper

Oooh! Film Board grant! What an awesome idea.
    We're not youngsters like the other fellows in this thread, but I hadn't even thought of that. We might even qualify for a tech grant since our coder developed engine tech that lets us do 99% of the development on PC. Must look into that.

@rest of thread
    As for the young developers getting organized, that's an excellent idea. It would be pretty cool if established developers could take first timers under their wings and publish under their studio as well. It does add somewhat of an accounting headache if it's not a free game, but it'll support brilliant young minds! :)

5. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Hi all.
    I'm 13 as well, and am developing/porting a game with another 13yr old. We've named the company Ingenero Software, and are basically learning by trial and error. I've done the tutorials online, didn't find them that helpful, until I found MastersOfTheVoid.com, which started me programming in C. I already had an Intel Mac, and an iPod Touch. I am planning to cough up the US$99 when I'm sure we've got something to sell. The program I'm porting is written in C++, which is fine with the iPhone (just use .mm extension for files that contain both), but the hardest part is making sure it finds all the frameworks.
    Hope what I've said is some help.

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    So all of you guys are in. What about you, Firestar?

And to make info exchange and all that other stuff easier, I'll create a group. I need a name though, even if it's temporary. Any ideas?

7. fazfznz

fazfznz Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Student
    California
    Teen Development Group?

8. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Might as well :p Teen Development... maybe we should've thought the title through a little better. Ah well, who cares.

9. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Sorry, but no, I am already in a company. Good luck to you though.

10. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    #30 The Game Reaper, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Cotton SoftWare?

I found another app made by two seventh graders from Chicago called The MathMaster. I'm impressed by the design!

11. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    you could do something like that Pong game which is VERY simple for an iphone game.
    the networking features are a little more advanced though.

If it's your first game I'd try to keep it simple just to make sure you can make it all the way through the process.

Nothing wrong with that though, there's a lot of simple games that are really fun.

12. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    very helpful is to get some books for reference and examples. There are a couple of them which are good, personally I would recommend the iPhone in Action, Beginning iPhone development and the iPhone cookbook (were to be careful as not all there is allowed by app store - but the author gives a hint at those parts). The iPhone SDK is also a nice addition.

I like books much more than online helps though they are important also for searching etc.

And the most important thing on programming is to test and test and test the program.

--
    ps: I started doing my first programs at about 12 with BAsIC and machine language(before the yP time), some years after with assembly language on the first mikroprocessors. My first book I wrote while still in the school -- so its great and important to start EARY ;)

13. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA

early ;)

14. 5ku112

5ku112 Active Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #34 5ku112, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Too generic. PixelGenGaming?

Okay WTFBBQ? You spent money for a new laptop just now? I'm still trying to convince my parents to get me a MacBook air as I'm running on a PowerBook G4 right now. You my freind have quite a bit of extra money, I only have 200$ to spare. Stupid intel. It sucks that you can't run the sdk on just any laptop it has to be an intel MacBook. Around 1000$ for me considering the MacBook, the program, the testing equipment, and my pretzels. Oh how I need my pretzels. My LOVELY pretzels.

15. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Why not code on your G4, and then test it out on your parent's computer, provided they have intel macs.

16. jammertk10

jammertk10 New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Heh, saved money, well spent so far IMO. I'll buy in to the dev program when I've got enough *well*-written code or when what I'm testing can't be run (correctly) through the simulator >_>

17. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    MacBook Air? Really? The thing's gonna be obsolete and a couple years considering it's so damned underpowered and doesn't even have an optical drive. If you're gonna spend cash, at least get a used MacBook Pro. Seriously, these things are awesome, and they'll last you a good 5+ years. Unfortunately they don't fit in manilla envelopes :rolleyes:

And I'll have the group name changed by a mod sooner or later. PixelGenGaming... that's not generic at all, lol.

18. 5ku112

5ku112 Active Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Macbook air? whoops, I ment Macbook PRO. I guess its not much of a big deal but I should get the best of the best since this is the only mac my family owns besides my G4.

I still need to actually OBTAIN the sdk first I can run the hack that allows me to run it on my G4 but I still have to download it.2 GB? Thats going to take at least 17 hr on my slow connection.