Universal Venture Kid (by FDG Mobile Games GbR)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 13, 2016.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmm... so I tried with my MFi controller... while it worked alright, there were a couple of things I wanted to bring up -

The screen went dark. I had to keep touching it or turn the Auto-lock off to keep the game going with the controller on and active.

Outside of that, and this is just nitpicky - it'd be great to be able to map the jump and attack buttons. I prefer A for attack and B for jump (instead of A and X like it's mapped here) - but that's nothing I won't be able to get comfortable with.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Is there some reason to put The Kid into the space? I tried and he does fit but he just falls back down. I this type of game I think you have to try everything but there's no way to tell if you're just doing it wrong.

3. JarvisJackrabbit

JarvisJackrabbit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2011
    The reason I was trying to jump into the space was to get an ever-so-slightly better sense of the lateral boundaries of the character because of what I was perceiving as hits being registered farther away than my platformer intuition was allowing.

4. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #104 sobriquet, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Ahh, got it. Stupid me.

Speaking of how wide he is, does anyone else think he looks like Cartman from Southpark?

Edit: one other thing. Has anyone been able to get to the extra life in the second (City) level? I can't figure out how to break the cracked block to get to it.

5. JarvisJackrabbit

JarvisJackrabbit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Go pick up the bomb to the right, bring it back to where the 1up is, and throw it on the left side.

6. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    What!? That makes sense now that I know. I've been avoiding that bomb like the plague. Thanks.

7. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Mega Venture Man Kid, anyone?? I LOVE IT! This is the game that I have been waiting for on iOS. Many games have come close but none have quite nailed it like this one. Big props to the dev for this badboy! Thank you! #✌

8. caseyhicks6

caseyhicks6 Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Where the heck is the treasure in the first stage! Lol

9. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    It's very gratifying that this game has released -- it was the only upcoming game on my watchlist for a LONG time, and I was convinced for about a year that it was dead. There were a couple of times I resurrected the game thread, holding out hope against hope. Congrats, FDG! And, it looks (and sounds) just wonderful, and the community feedback seems unanimous.

I'm not playing it, though. As several posters have noted, the game is quite hard, and I've never been all that good at platformers. But, that's fine! What bothers me is the IAP. $0.99 is, indeed, a steal for this game, and something like an orb doubler is a great way to show support to the devs. But then, seeing various currency packs...

I can't help but wonder, at any and every challenge, if it's included as a design decision, or if it's actually a subtle nudge toward purchasing extra "help." It breaks the game down for me; I'm in constant doubt whether I'm playing or being played (okay, that sounds a bit dramatic). Even good design decisions are brought under an air of suspicion. It's the reason I've never played, for more than a few minutes, ANY game with consumable IAP. But I was looking forward to this for so very, VERY long.

I'm not trying to make any bigger point here about IAP, and I'm certainly not trying to attack this remarkable game. I just don't know where to go from here. Anyone have any input, or advice?

10. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Mega Man 2 is one of my all time favorite chip-tunes soundtracks EVER!!

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You'll notice from syntheticvoid's post that the IAP is very much unnecessary. Dude's reached the forest level on nothing but the initial $0.99 price. The game IS hard, but yeah...the IAPs are pretty pointless for the most part.

I bought the doubler and sometimes have to resort to buying the 2x life thing for 200 orbs, and on more than one occasion have lost the entire second set of lives by merely touching a spike in the mines. Gone just like that. Yeah, the IAPs could very well get you out of a sticky situation, but at the end of the day you're going to go absolutely nowhere if you can't actually...you know...play the game.

Also, I think I'm going to go insane thanks to the twins (boss) in the mines. ****!!!

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Basically, you get the full game with the $0.99 purchase, but you can buy Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A or Power Overwhelmings using real money if you're really having a hard time.

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Welcome to my world, lol.

My best was down to one bar, and yeah, i definitly need the extra lives refill.
    If not before already, a lot of players might quit at this boss fight...maybe. I can't imagine the boss fight in hard mode, ouch.

14. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I would add to this logic by saying that the IAP for orbs are pretty much useless. The orb count on these purchases are so small they really won't get you anywhere. 4.99 for 1000 orbs is only $1 less than the 2x orbs so buying it would be silly. The 2x orbs is the only one worth getting imo. Sure it's kind of pricy but hey this is an awesome game and worth every penny.

15. TheGanner

TheGanner Member

May 18, 2014
    Is there an option to turn off sound that I'm not seeing? Would love to spend some time with this, but not without being able to play an audiobook or podcast in the background.

16. b864mer5

b864mer5 Member

Dec 12, 2011
  17. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Damn brother, that was fast. You are either a platform master or you've been playing nonstop since release.

Thanks for the video. I haven't watched it but it's stored away for reference when I need it.

18. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    You want to listen to a podcast while playing this? Lol. The Music is great

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woohoo! Yeah, just beat the Mines.

And I hadn't even looked at the orb pricing, but I've gotta agree that they do seem a little light. $3 for 500 orbs?
    Not that I really care too much, the only reason I'd buy an orb pack is to support the devs & FDG. Thinking of it more like a tip jar. =oP

20. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    Nope, doesn't seem to be an option to mute the, really rather good, audio.
    I hope it would at least be a fast paced, exciting audiobook :p