iPhone Vendetta Online by Guild Software, Inc.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    lmao!!

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yup, a Mini is a 2...might be slightly upgraded actually. And the 3 is a special case...while technically more powerful, it didn't ship enough of a hardware upgrade to go with the immensely higher resolution screen. So there are a good number of apps that run better on a 2/mini than on a 3.

3. Phaserlight

Phaserlight Member

May 28, 2012
    If mining is at all your thing, be sure to check out the Corvus Mineral Research Event today at 19:00 UTC (~5.4 hours from now). I'll be there, running it. It's going to have some mining, some combat, probably some back-stabbing, and Akan knows what else...

Here's the event description you see when you log in:

4. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Ahhhh I so would but that is around 5am for me. If you do something like this again please post about it in here :)

5. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    What kind of stuff can you do in-game? Are there quests, crafting, guilds etc.? Is there enough variety in activities to not get boring? Sorry again for all the questions!

6. Phaserlight

Phaserlight Member

May 28, 2012
    The number of things you can do in-game is virtually infinite; there is an Eve-like depth to the expansion of one's sphere of influence over time. However, a key difference between this game and Eve is that there are no artificial skills to be "trained" as such: all skills are real (depending on the pilot).

I've written about Vendetta Online at length over on mmorpg.com; some might call it a bit of a mission. Some of these posts are older (some were written before the Lite sub was even an option), but most of the info in them is still good:

"LF MMO" response:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5656122#5656122

"Looking for a game where people actually interact":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5636912#5636912

"PvP Psyche":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5268862#5268862

"For those of you who liked "Tron" (a new organized event)":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5223312#5223312

"Lucid Dreams (video)":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5160963#5160963

"Escapades on Xperia Play":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4555663#4555663

"The Varieties of PvP Experience":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4258723#4258723

"Get involved in the Player Contribution Corps (PCC)":
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3303143#3303143

...ad infinitum

The "quests" in Vendetta Online are actually called "missions", and you can only have one at a time. You won't find any "collect 10 rat tails" mission; even the missions bearing some resemblance to this type of thing have more going on beneath the surface, and actually lead somewhere. There is often more than one way to complete a mission, multiple paths through the same mission, mission trees with different outcomes, missions that appear based only on the failure of another mission. It's... complex, but it's something that I've been helping create for the past six years and more. The game itself has kept me occupied for nearly a decade.

7. retrogamer83

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Sounds awesome, thanks for the links.

8. Kabuloso

Kabuloso Member

Apr 19, 2013
    yes, yes, yes, yes to etc too, and yes to not getting bored. :)

Getting licenses is the easiest part. The game really starts after you learn to handle your ship, and that has nothing to do with licenses.

And another thing, is that the game doesn't tell you what to do after the training. Its up to you to choose and try out a really big amount of different missions types. And missions vary from station to station, from system to system, as they are dynamically created.

I confess that I still haven't tried out all of them. The ones I prefer are the military, at Deneb: lots of fighters and capital ships fighting to get control of sectors.
    And the Hive ones, to get the sectors cleared out of their presence.

9. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Oh man, all these comments are sending me over the edge!
    My biggest factor is time (or lack of spare time to be more precise) so a question I'd have is, is it possible to get anywhere and do anything remotley of worth to help out in the "universe" if I only play a few hours a week?

10. retrogamer83

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Will I get owned by mouse/keyboard players?

11. Kabuloso

Kabuloso Member

Apr 19, 2013
    #151 Kabuloso, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    You will get owned by players who already learned to fight.
    And as long as I know, learning curve with touchscreen devices is a little harder.

Beware to not go shooting everyone, anywhere. Killing in monitored space makes you loose faction standing, if the target is not hated by the faction.

The most important, is to practice and don't botter being killed. It took me a lot of time, just to be able to kill some of the easiest hive bots.

Edit: before trying combat stuff, do a few trade missions. They pay well and set you to travel a lot.

12. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I agree. Thinking about attacking others is so far away from being an objective. There are missions that teach you what space to avoid, teach you combat, mining, commerce and the list goes on. Some of the fun comes from knowing how vulnerable you are. You can't just float around. The galaxy is alive.

As far as I can tell player skill is a huge factor in combat. You can only build that up from playing :)

13. retrogamer83

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies Kabu and LD. But what I mean specifically is, as an iPad player, will a PC/Mac player using a mouse/keyboard, experienced or not, have a much easier time killing me as I will them? I'm just assuming mouse/keyboard will ALWAYS be much more accurate than any touch screen control method.

14. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Geez man. Yes probably. If you go into combat with a pc player with the same exact same ship, weapons, thrusters as you and you both have the "exact" same skill level then maybe they will win as the mouse is more accurate.

There are so many variables though. Dude it's a dollar. There has been a crapload of info laid out for you over the last couple pages. Maybe just give it a try. You might not like it from the start which would alleviate you of any concerns around mice and keyboards :)

15. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
  16. Kabuloso

Kabuloso Member

Apr 19, 2013
    #156 Kabuloso, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    No, not always.
    Even Android being also a recent release, there already exists some very skilled players using tablets and phones.
    One of them, from RED (a SERCO Nationalist Guild) even killed a skilled PC veteran a few times in a row, once. Using a 5" phone with no additional controllers.

If you want to be good, the key is to be persistent. Don't give up if after a few weeks or even months, it's still very hard to score a player kill in 1x1 dogfights.
    Damn, it took me almost a week to be able to kill more than 5 Dentec Collectors (a weak hive NPC) in a row.

17. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Wow this made me feel better. I did two rounds of 5 but limped back to the station with 15% hull damage. Go tablets :)

18. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
  19. okdoc

okdoc New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I want to give some initial impressions. Lovin it. I have spent an hour with the tutorials and I am already salivating at all the possibilities. Throw away your old ideas of space combat. I love the WWII inspired combat of Star Wars, but this is going to something to really sink my teeth in to. With all the cartoony games dominating the App Store, I am so glad to get something for the closet hard core gamers out there. The days of me getting to waste hours on end in front of a desktop are over (how I miss those days). The action was sometimes jumpy, but I only have 2.5 mb speed on my home Internet. The mood is immersive. By the second tutorial, I am already docking with a capital ship and then having a choice of which one of the 20 turrets on board that I want to control! These battles are going to be epic. Even the small details such as holographic billboards in space show the attention to detail that the devs are trying to achieve. Can't wait to start the slow journey of doing some Freelancer type commerce and really learning the ropes and building up my character. I can tell this is like starting really good novel.

20. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    #160 Lost_Deputy, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013