iPhone Vendetta Online by Guild Software, Inc.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 17, 2013.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

And that's why bob marley didn't shoot the deputy ;)

$1 a month for the version that has level caps and one where you can join guilds, but cannot create or lead them.

$1 to start is a pretty stellar way to see if you enjoy it. The amount of play for a dollar can't be stressed enough.

2. andsoitgoes

It says it starts at a dollar. That generally means the price goes up from there. There is no reason you can't play and enjoy it at a dollar.

You are also leaving out every other argument we pointed out, skipping only to the details you feel like discussing.

Regardless, this tread needs to get back on topic. Let's talk about the game, and leave it for those that actually own it, rather than this pointless continuation of incorrect information. Trying to argue with you is like trying to convince the pope there is no god.

3. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Good for you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I never argued your opinion of the game, you argued my opinion on not opting to get it. I simply supported my opinion which you blew out of proportion. You spend your money as you like, I spend mine as I like. You opt to purchase the game, enjoy it. Simple.

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    For sure.

I poured so more time into this last night and its awesome. I can see it becoming massively addictive.

I do find that some of the UI can be a bit ugly at times. Mainly with options being in counter intuitive spots. Hard to explain but let's say the iphone usually has a back/return option in the top left of the screen. I've found it hard to get this consistency in VO so far. There isn't a intuitive pattern. I'm sure it's just me though. Ill give it a big run today.

I'm also having subscription issues with not being able to pay. I've only tried paying once though so again ill try a few different things today with it.

In game is a blast.

Also cool seeing all the chatter from other Vendetta players talking about going between their ipad and PC. Well done to the Dev and thanks for being active on TA.

5. andsoitgoes

Anyone have tips for just using the touchscreen? I can't turn my ship like I could by tilting, but I don't want to have to heft my iPad around to turn my ship, so now if I'm cockeyed, I can't fix it.

And crap, if the iPad goes to sleep, the entire app closes. What's with that?

6. andsoitgoes

Also, did you guys get to choose a username? I signed up, created an account and it just gave me some weird messed up username that I can't seem to change.

So far this is very interesting but MAN is it rough. Trying to pick the ship color was damn hard, and the crashing is getting frustrating. I'd just like to get past the stupidity of the username.

7. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Haha ok mate sure. Read back on what you said. If you have actually convinced yourself that you in fact you "merely mentioned that you opted not to participate" then I cannot contend. It's like debating water.

Ill try to educate myself better as soon as possible.

Meanwhile if you're not interested in this old deceitful game can you leave it to those who are please.

8. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Just tap the name screen up the top left and it will bring up the keyboard.

It hasn't crashed on me yet. What are you using?

9. andsoitgoes

No, that's not what I mean. I'm saying thst it picked a username and I can no longer change or modify it. It forced me into something strange.

And I'm using an iPad 4, it crashes every time I let the iPad go to sleep with the app open.

10. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I use the touchscreen. Hate tilting my ipad. What tips you need? Right controls are steering. Left arrows are your thrusters with strafe etc.

11. andsoitgoes

But the problem is that the ship can twist off angle, normally you use the tilt controls to straighten out. You can't do that touchscreen only.

12. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Urgh. Yeah not sure. I had a bug on the 1st training level so I just set up another character. If your a fair bit in tho that could be a pain.

I think it is based on Internet connection (I'm waay out of my depth with MMOs so this is a guess). Most large online games I've played on ios quit when the connection drops. So when your ipad sleeps does it revert to a celliur network?

13. jkilla

jkilla Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Even with touchscreen controls selected you still tilt to roll your ship. All your turning is done with your right thumb -- tilting is for rolling. I had some problems with the training missions -- basically I walked away and my ipad went to sleep which dumped me from the game immediately. Upon relaunching I was taken straight online with no tutorial. I quit and was able to find the option to retake them so no issue there.

Only problem so far: I play on an ipad mini and damn if some of these buttons aren't really tiny. Picking colors was hilarious.

Minor gripes: Sucks that I can't rotate my ipad. Also, my mission button keeps lighting up red and blinking just to notify me that I've made a kill and have X more to go -- annoying.

And there was nothing that I could see in the training about targeting or picking up loot. I was thinking I needed a tractor beam like GoF, but apparently you just crash into drops to collect them?

14. Incarnate

Incarnate Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Hey everyone, a couple of things:

- Anyone who is having IAP issues, please open a Support Ticket on our game website (log in with your game account). If we can correlate the problems to specific users it'll help us track things down. We have not been able to isolate the issue yet.

- The "single-click" account creation process gives you an automatically-selected username. We did this because our experiences on other mobile platforms told us that people expect the absolute minimum amount of time before "the game", so we tried to strip that down to as little as possible. Your game username does not impact your character names (which you can choose yourself), and it isn't visible in-game. It is visible if you post on the public forums, but that's it.

- iOS forces any network application to time out immediately when the device sleeps. After the app sleeps, you should be seeing "Connection to server timed out", but the app itself should not be exiting. Also of note: iOS forces any network app to disconnect after 30 seconds in the background. So if you task out to browse the web or something, the game will be disconnected from the server after 30 seconds. There's nothing we can do about this, unfortunately.

- Regarding the pricing structure: I really did not expect iOS people to be upgrading to premium tier accounts anytime soon, if at all, so we didn't mention it on the description.. nor is it even an option via IAP. I figured discussing it in the description would just confuse people. I didn't think this was nefarious or misleading, the Lite mode is a pretty solid level of access and priced pretty.. low.

15. andsoitgoes

The iPad is wifi only. And the character name isn't the issue, when you quit out and to all the way back in, that's the username. If you didn't specifically select a username, which is not the character name.

As for the controls, there are 3 options.

Touchscreen steering only
    Tilt to steer
    Touchscreen steering, tilt to roll

I want the top, but need to know how to tilt and adjust the ships angle.

16. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC

First of all, thank you for the response on IAP issues. I will be putting in a ticket soon. Overall, I am glued to this game and am pleased (to say the least) with what you all have done with the port.

Secondly, the IAP is not misleading nor is it even remotely close to being over-priced. For $4.99, you can get 6 months of a Lite subscription, which is a steal. Also, if this wasn't already made clear, you pay $.99 to try the game out for a month with included Lite membership. After that, you can then choose to purchase either the $1/month subscription or $4.99 for six months. It's not complicated, nor is it out of line.

Thank you for being an active dev in this forum.

17. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    #77 Morgan01, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Boy, you just keep on going. Have you convinced yourself?

18. jkilla

jkilla Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The app itself is exiting. ipad sleeps for a split second and the whole game has to be reloaded. No "server timed out" warning.

19. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Oh man, I really wanted to get into this game, but just from struggling through the first two tutorials with all the flying I can tell I am going to suck too much to continue. Didn't realize so much flying would be involved - my lack of control coordination on touch screen devices is too hindering for this game, lol.

Bummed. Looks like a decent port of the game though - and if there were 'lite' subscription versions for desktop, I'd be tempted to continue, but without a physical controller for mobile I'm too lame.

20. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Righto. We weren't debating this:

That said on iTunes: Your game purchase includes a free month of access, after which subscription options start at only $1 per month.

As the dev said there is no immediate need for $10 a month if at all. The Lite option is the default iPad option.
    Also not sure what sites you were using but on the Vendetta fact sheet it says the subscription options.
    http://www.vendetta-online.com/h/faq_general.html

We were actually debating this:
    You were implying that it is $10 flat monthly subscription for the game on iPad and its an old game. Adding that is was deceitful of the dev.

then..

Followed by...

My initial quote:
    Yep.