iPhone Vendetta Online by Guild Software, Inc.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 17, 2013.

1. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    @Taeles

hahahahahaha I'm a fan of EVE too (though haven't played for a while) and that graph F'ing rocks. Thanks for making my day. (For those interested, it's on page 3)

I'm going to pick up Vendetta and see how it compares to EVE online.

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Same here.

3. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    #43 Cg2005, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Has anyone else attempted a subscription purchase within the game? I'm still running into the same problem as before. I tap on the 6 month option, the confirmation for purchasing the IAP comes up, I select buy, I get the message that I've already bought the IAP but that it hasn't been downloaded yet and then I get an error message: "Your purchase has been aborted." This message comes from within the game, not from the App Store.

4. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Just about to boot it up again. I'll let you know

5. crazychimp

crazychimp Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I would be surprised if this ever went free to play. Unlike Order & Chaos this isn't limited to iOS devices. I'm sure if this went subscription free on iOS there would be lots of angry Windows/OSX players.

6. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Well this game is free to download for Android. I would wait until its free on iOS also.

7. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    They very clearly said it only works on iPad 2nd gen and above... i dont get it why 1st gen users usually leave bad reviews expecting it to work on their ancient devices lol not to say that Cromwell would, but i see it all the time in most games.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Straight on. VO has been subscription-based for more than 8 years, and the devs have been very specific in their intention for it to stay that way, and that the portable release will NOT change this.

No. 8 hour trial, then subscription fee (1 dollar, capped to level 3 licenses, and limited guild options, or 10 dollars for the full game, just like iOS. Only difference is that the initial 1 dollar purchase price is waived in favour of a time-limited trial).

Reiteration: Vendetta Online is a hardcore desktop MMO that has relied on the same business model for the past 8 years. This model, and the lack of freemium/free-to-play mechanics, is one of the major attractions for much of the small player base, and one thing that clearly separates it from the current MMO paradigm.

An iOS port will not change this, as desktop is still the primary target audience, and the game makes no concessions for the mobile format (neither in business model nor gameplay mechanics). The developers care little for mobile pricing trends, since they continously develop and price the game with the desktop market in mind.

As for the Galaxy on Fire 2 comparison, you might as well compare Mass Efect: Infiltrator to Mass Effect 1/2/3, or Aralon to to Skyrim :D

Oh, wait, I forgot, both VO and GoF2 take place in space. My bad ;)

9. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Seriously , you can't compare mass player vs player fleet fight with capital ships around to GoF NPC battles

10. jkilla

jkilla Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I love Galaxy on Fire but come on... The ships don't even remotely control the same in Vendetta after you turn flight assist off -- this is WAY more like an online Freelancer than GoF. I had a blast checking this out last night, can't wait to play more. Runs like a champ on my mini.

11. Incarnate

Incarnate Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Hi everyone. I'm the founder of Guild Software and the creative director of Vendetta Online. I'm glad to hear some people are enjoying the game. A couple of things:

- Very sorry for any confusion about iPad1 support, we thought we had excluded the game from even showing up on the AppStore for iPad1 users, but we updated our description as quickly as possible last night.

- Although we do NOT, and will never officially support the iPad1 (the device just doesn't have enough ram), we did some work early this morning to possibly (?) make the game run on those devices for a little while, to help mitigate the situation for those people who had already mistakenly purchased the game. We don't actually have an iPad1 for testing, so we don't even know if our "absolute minimum" detection settings are working; or if they do work, for how long. Even if it runs at all, the play experience is going to be poor, but we're trying to give people who already spent the $0.99 something for their money. (So, if you already purchased accidentally on an iPad1, try re-running the game now, preferably after a fresh reboot with NO background apps. You may need to re-run it more than once). This is totally blind, shooting-from-the-hip development, but again, just trying to improve things for people if we can. PLEASE don't go buy the game on an iPad1 based on this post, it probably doesn't work well (or for long) if it runs at all, and it will be ugly as sin (textures all set to minimum).

- We DO support the iPad2, iPad3, iPad4 and Mini, with iOS 5.x or better. If you have any issues with those devices, please post to our Bugs forum or iOS forum on our site (or submit a Support Ticket if you require privacy).

- The "Lite" vs "Premium" subscription models were designed to offer a lower entry price point that would still work across platforms. We're one of the few MMOs to have a single universe accessible from a broad number of platforms and devices (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iPad, WinRT/Win8, OUYA, Kindle Fire). We've always been cross-platform, Windows/Mac/Linux since 2002, and we've always had users who transitioned from one platform at work to another at home and so on. I didn't want to lock people into only experiencing the game on one type of device, so a generally-usable "Lite" mode seemed like a better option. The only differences are a level cap later in the game, and the inability to create guilds or serve as the leader of a guild (but you can still join guilds). The level cap is meaningful, but not crippling, as our game is "twitch" skill based, and the available equipment at the Lite levels will still allow you to challenge other players. In general, the entire game universe and the vast majority of gameplay content is available to Lite subscribers, including participation in the big space battles in the contested Deneb system, and so on.

- We're looking into the reported IAP problems. We tested IAP cleanly yesterday, with no issues, but it's always possible there's some edge case we missed. We'll straighten it out as quickly as we can in any case.

- Many thanks to Ayjona for providing information in my absence :).

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

IT IS A DOLLAR.

Jeez.

And you don't have to pay the extra, at all. You can choose to if you wish to access more in depth areas. For a dollar a month, you are getting more than enough.

And whining about a 9 years old MMO? Really now? You do realize WoW has been alive for 9 years. Would you have a tempter tantrum if it came onto the iPad and charged $10 a month?

Honestly now, your comment is so massively head shaking its not even funny.

Heaven forbid a game try to bring itself to more platforms without compromising itself in any way. It's the same game, at the same cost and on another platform. Why should we pay less when we aren't getting less?

Just because we are on an iPad doesn't mean we should feel entitled to pay less just because it seems there's a huge majority ofnpeopl who can't help but whine about things being too expensive.

As others have said, you can't compare a MMO to an offline story focused game. I think the Infiltrator versus the console ME versions is petty accurate.

It's a dollar to try, and a dollar a month. It's been around for years with a defined subscription model that isn't going to bend its whims for iOS gamers too cheap to pay a well deserved price.

If wow came to iOS, would you expect them to do the same? This isn't o&c, which was made for iOS. It's a port of a game established first many times over, and we are lucky it's available to us here.

Maybe you should stop looking at it in that respect and star looking at it the way it deserves to be looked at.

13. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    I've only scratched the surface, but ya...AWESOME game!

Thanks to Incarnate and his small team for their hard work in porting this to iPad!!

...like I said before, I am NOT an MMO player (or PC gamer for that matter) and I can see myself actually making time for this great game. Even though I know I won't have much time to invest, I am still more than happy to support these guys for a measly 10 bucks a month.

Oh, and the comparison to Galaxy on Fire is laughable.....

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Welcome to TouchArcade :)

15. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA

Someone has some anger issues. The lite version is $0.99 and the full version is $10 a month. I have played many PC MMOs. Never play WoW because I wasn't interested in paying the monthly fee. I played Order of Chaos for a few month and opted not to continue the monthly fee. If I have no interest in Vendetta and the $0.99 fee for the lite version nor $10 for the full version, that's my option. I haven't recommended that people play or not play. I simply stated my opinion. Get over it.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not angry. I just find the mentality of your post worth highlighting and commenting on. If I was angry, you'd know.

Have you played the game? From the impression I got from your post, you haven't. Clearly you are passing without trying. Therefore you stated an opinion that isn't valid nor does it have any basis. It's like crapping on an album you've never listened to, a book you've never read or a movie you've never seen.

Because you've never played, you don't have concept on your comments about a "lite" version. The developer was clear commenting just above that the major difference is a level cap and the inability to head up/create guilds. It's a way to experience the world and if you really want to get deeper into the game, you can do so by spending more. Sadly you are looking at the word and immediately assumed what it meant.

When an opinion is based on massive amounts of incorrect information and assumptions, well then it isn't an opinion, is it?

As for the "deception" - the text specifically says "after which subscription options start at only $1 a month"

All your comments are based on not knowing anything about anything, making you come across well, I think that goes without saying :)

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Nope. You stated things that were either misguided or untrue. This isn't a deceitful pricing structure. Read the devs comments.

Also age has nothing to do with it. It's not the same product that was released all those years ago.

Your opinion is that it's too expensive. Cool. Don't get it.
    But maybe try to consider the "actual details" of the product when blurting out your almighty "opinion".

18. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Right I want to play this but there is conflicting information. Is it £1 a month or £10 a month? That is a big ass difference.

19. pope22

pope22 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2008
    On the App Store, there was no mention of it lacking support for the ipad 1. I agree, the device is old. If it had stated it wasn't supported on the store, then that's my fault for buying it. But to suggest that I should seek out secondary sources for device support is a bit silly.

Granted, I'm only out $1, but it was still an unfortunate experience with the app. Based of the information provided, a poor rating for poor performance on a device that it was listed as supporting seems reasonable.

20. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    Reading the game description in the App Store, no where do I see any mention of the full version being $10 dollars a month, fact. Go to the various gaming websites and you will find many mention that the game is $0.99 per month, another fact. Opinion: they seem to be under the impression that it is a dolor a month for the full game. Another fact, I never stated that $10 was too expensive. I mearly mentioned that I opted not to participate. There are your "actual details" of my statement. They to educate yourself better before responding.