Universal VEmpire-The Kings of Darkness (By Wolfgang Lueger)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 6, 2017.

1. hrenucci

hrenucci New Member

Jun 28, 2017
    @wlueger

Sounds promising! :)
    Yes I totally agree that VEmpire is in fact more strategic than other deck-building. Perhaps an adaptation time is needed for me given an all too familiar habit of playing Ascencion and Star Realms which may appear more accessible in nature due to the ease of card drawing over time and combo plays ;) That being said really enjoying this and the learning curve and looking forward to how gameplay will keep evolving :D

2. playplayfun

playplayfun Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2015
    The game looks beautiful. With its Vampire theme, the look and feel does give the game a creepy feeling.
    Wish you all the best with the game.

3. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Had some great games against hard AI last night, mostly winning so would love to move onto multiplayer against real people.

I’ve been over to reddit and seen a short thread about async. I’ll add something there, but the reddit it pretty quiet, so good to add here too.

I’ve not been able to start an online match in about 24 hours despite searching. This is the problem with sync .... if the player base is not huge, you don’t get to play.

The game flow does not require sync I don’t think (there are no responses to opponent actions) and async is the preferred option for nearly all iOS players from my experience. It would allow matchmaking without being sat in a lobby, and would mean far higher game usage among those I know that play card games digitally.

So I most definately vote for async being a high priority development :)

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Is there a single player mode with a story mode of something like that or is just the combat with an AI?

5. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Combat with AI ... 3 levels, hard is OK but only lost once.

So I just left my phone on player search for 3 hours (while doing DIY).... no player online. This use case alone should be good reassign for async ;)

My phone is now hotter then the sun ;)

6. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    #26 Patjelol, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    I'm liking the game, but the screen isn't optimized for the mini Ipads. I play this game on my Ipad mini 2 and it feels as if the screen is cut short. Both the right and left row are cut in half, meaning I have to select the cards to see the Guldens (on the card on the left) and the Empire points (on the card on the right). I know that the right cards are your foes, but I still want to see what they're worth.

Also the row with cards that you've played just underneath the left card row iscut short, the first 2 cards are not in sight.
    When selecting a card from your hand, the buttons (Empire, Hold, etc) are also cut in half.
    And lastly, I would prefer it if the cards in your hand were a touch higher, so I could see the points they have. Makes it easier to plan.

As I said, I like the game, but it would be easier played if the screen setup would fit the Ipad Mini screen.

EDIT2: I have started the game again twice since and now the screen fits. I have no idea why the game was kinda zoomed in the first 2 times I started the game.
    If it comes up again, I'll let you know.

7. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    #27 skoptic, Dec 9, 2017
    I’ve had another 2-3 hour session trying to get a multiplayer game remaining on ‘searching’ screen and inviting every player who showed as ‘online’, sadly without joy. I’m very keen to play more, so I’m adding some more thoughts about my opinion on async, not to harangue you, but as some genuine feedback.

I play a lot of iOS games and a fair amount of these are multiplayer. At any one time I have multiple games of ascension, star realms, Cthulhu realms, Agricola, patchwork, through the ages, waterdeep, potion explosion, cottage garden, paperback, race to the galaxy. The reason..... they fit round my life perfectly as they are all async. Even if they have a small player base, I just fire up a game request and can get on with life, play my turns and juggle everything else in life - perfect!

Looking at the online page in VEmpire I am seeing not many have played casual or matches. I haven’t had responses to invites and (despite trying) I’m not going to sit in the lobby all day...

I’d love to play more as you have put 4 years of effort into this and it is a great game. There are some lovely touches alongside the great theme and artwork too, such as, multiple AI strengths, multiple starting points, settings for music, fx, AI speed up, in game notifications, the ability to set default the AI and start point amount. It’s a joy to see all these wonderful settings and touches - thank you. Sadly this makes more jarring that async is absent. I really hope the player count and availability pick up and look forward to further improvements in the gameplay and more cards in the deck.

8. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    #28 Chiller ONE, Dec 9, 2017
    I’m a bit split on this game.
    I do love the theme and artwork and the basic gameplay is solid but it feels to me that there is a lot of wasted potential here.

The card pool is way too small, many cards are just copies of each other with different name and artwork.
    The Kings/Queens play mostly the same, seems like a wasted opportunity, I wish they would play really different each with their own specific strategy.
    The game also seems to have a snowballing effect, against hard AI (haven’t touched multiplayer yet) I either win big or lose big, rarely is there an even fight.

I don’t regret my purchase, the game was cheap enough and I’ll probably continue playing it for a while but to increase longevity there really needs to be a bigger card pool.

9. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    #29 skoptic, Dec 9, 2017
    Agreed...the card pool is small. I asked about that but the response was that is wasn’t a bug it was a feature ;) My feedback is that it Makes the game less enjoyable. Fancy jumping online? Not a sniff of a mp game yet for me, so if you show up, I’ll play...

10. wlueger

wlueger Active Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Async multiplayer will come...and more...

Hi folks!

Thanks for the feedback!
    I definitely get the point with async is required. We have to figure out what is necessary for this and will bring it asap!

Also i get the call for 'more' - there are a lot of plans and we are planing the story-mode since some time now!
    We would absolutely love to bring it, because the ideas we have - I'm pretty sure you'll love it, but anyway, i will be honest with you guys!
    We need at least the money to bring you all this in our and your expected quality, and this means we need more sales, so please share the word and love for VEmpire!

I'll keep you in the loop guys, pretty optimistic that we can add what you want soon!

cheers, yours wolf!

11. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Great to hear, happy to support and looking forward to what you have planned :)

12. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    This is easily the best game in the genre. I used to play Ascension all the time, but now this...

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Told you ;) :p

Best of luck with the sales!!!
    You can still count on me for the X thing and eventually async!

14. wlueger

wlueger Active Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Async in development...

@islesfan - thanks this means a lot :)

@pitta - yes, thanks man, we are already working on the async mode!

cheers, wolf!

15. playplayfun

playplayfun Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Any upcoming sale? :)

16. wlueger

wlueger Active Member

Jan 9, 2015
    sale...

@playplayfun
    yes, we are planning a sale for christmas!

17. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    In which languages ​​are localizations available? German?

18. wlueger

wlueger Active Member

Jan 9, 2015
    only english atm!

@DTK

Sorry only english atm, it depends on the sales, plans are for many languages!

[Deutsch]
    Aber ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, dass du das Game nicht verstehst!
    Im Gegenteil ich finde die Texte in Englisch einfach besser und passender.
    Aber ich würde mich freuen wenn wir uns das bald leisten könnten!

Liebe Grüße aus Österreich!

cheers....

19. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Been busy with work and holidays since purchasing this. Wish I would have waited given the sale.

I find the tutorial horribly, goofily written. And it doesn't explain the gameplay mechanics very well at all.

Was also hoping there'd be a basic story mode, or something. These are just vampirized historical figures on cards with a single sentence-long Wikipedia blurb.

The gameplay mechanics are pretty good. You have to make some choices early on, like build up guildens, empire, clone cards, attack. But the cards I've seen don't really do too much more than that. The artwork doesn't give you a thematic idea of what the card might do, like in Lost Portal. Most of the variation is attack, spend, and empire points.

Each game starts off too slow in terms of building up resources, attack, etc to take significant action.

Tge graphics, sound, interface, etc are all rock solid.

I feel like the art budget really held this one back, and the theme is very limiting.