iPad Vektrax

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Oct 17, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I thought it looked interesting enough to try for $.99 and it's surprisingly fun.

Anyone from my generation (I'm 25) or older will appreciate it a lot. The style is like a early 90's virtual reality game, but the sounds are very reminiscent of the 80's. The gameplay is is a little of both, though you control by tilting, which works amazingly.

It's simple in it's style, but it's fast and a lot of fun, especially for anyone who used to play games in the 80's and early 90's.

If you have any interest in a game like that, you'd be missing out by not paying the $.99. Totally worth it.

2. #2 wastedyuthe, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    Beat you to it mate. Already posted about this game here.

I think it's a great game.

[EDIT] As we are starting to post on this thread now, I will post the link to the game here , and here are my screenshots from the other thread so people can see what we are talking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I see...

I made a post over there too. At least I'm not the only who liked it.

4. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    #4 ReformatPlanet, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    I was just about to post about this as well. Awesome for a buck. Seems like it could really use an "interactive" soundtrack. Reminds me of N2o from the first generation playstation.

1891051 -high score on hard so far.

5. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I like it too

I just bought this too.

Im quite happy with it. I love the vibrant colors and the ever changing tunnels.

could use some improvements but overall im quite happy.

Some music would be nice. If it could evolve as you pass checkpoints like in Rez it would be awesome.

6. I personally would like a subtle sound effect when you use your fuel/thrust. I think the developer made the right decision to not have the gun sound, as it is constantly firing it would get on the player's t!ts.

7. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    A bit like System Rush Evolution

If you own an n-gage phone from nokia (i know this will be rare since most here own iphones :p) like me, then you most probably have system rush evolution. Vektrax reminds me alot like it, but system rush evolution's graphics are much more modern.

8. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

I hate this game.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I love this game.

Somehow I think it's really friggin addicting. The sounds remind me of Metroid.

10. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

It pisses me off. I can't control the shooting, etc. At least it was cheap.

11. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    How does it compare to Tempist (if at all)?

12. It's similar to Tempest in the way that you are in a tunnel shape, being able to steer left and right in it (and being able to go all the way round when it is a complete tube) and steering so the enemies fly into your gunfire. But I think that's where the similarity ends. In this, other than graphical differences, you are actually flying down the tunnel with the option to thrust faster (shooting enemies increases the amount of fuel for this). The faster you go, the closer you get to the next checkpoint (which you need to get to before the timer runs out), but the more chance you have of missing enemy ships. Not only that, but the tunnel, as you can see from the screenshots on the first page, constantly changes shape, direction, and colour. It's quite a ride!

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Are tracks randomly generated? It seems every time I start they're different.

I can't wait to see what updates will bring. I love the retro style, but some gun variations or fast enemies would be interesting. I know the focus is on making it to the checkpoints, but I think power-ups (and downs) could make it even more fun.

14. Yes, the tracks, like Torus Trooper, are randomly generated. I don't know- I am not sure if adding more stuff would actually make it any better. As it is now it is very easy to get into and is good for a quick blast. Torus Trooper was the same, ie simple but addictive. Only in Torus Trooper you did have 2 weapons- your usual guns and a smart bomb, which went further the longer you held the button down. However Torus Trooper didn't have the thrust control and there wasn't an emphasis on reaching checkpoints as in this variation. I do miss the smart bombs, but the thrust control adds it's own element of strategy as to when's best to use it.
    I'd say the only things I'd like to improve the app would be a few more sound effects (like when you use the thrust) and perhaps a background (like stars and galaxies or a nebula or two. I personally am happy with the gameplay itself.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #15 NotYou, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
    I agree about the thrust sound. I think it would add a lot to the game.

I really love the concept of killing enemies to get the necessary speed bursts. It makes for pretty unique gameplay.