Universal Vectros [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jan 16, 2013.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just played again with sound and tilt on the phone is actually okay. Would seriously need other controls i think for ipad as half walls come your way and it's a pretty rapid tilt needed to bring your ship to the vertical to avoid them. Hope there's a bit of variety later on but another control mechanism would promote this to my iPad.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well heres their website (cant find a contact email though)

http://vectros-w.ne-net.jp/

More people who contact them asking for other controls the better

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Agree, the best 3D effects achieved in the Virtual Boy IMHO. Oops, off-topic... Except my username, which is fully on-topic for this ;) Okay, okay, I stop now.

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Still on air slamraman ?
    Does tilt work only by holding the device flat, or is there a calibration
    option ? And how many levels does a stage have ? Thanks already.

5. Seems pretty cool, but can't quite get a good feel of in the youtube clips. Cool looking vector graphics though.

6. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    #26 slamraman, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Hey there - sorry, wife's birthday. Calibration at the start and you can recalibrate any time after when you pause. Only done the first 2.5 stages (sorry, wife's birthday) and each stage gets longer. It's a shooter on rails. I actually really, really like it in my phone. Don't mind tilting the phone. You've only got to hold the fire autofire. Not too sure of how many Stages in total but looking at the size of screen it may be around 24 or so. It's 3 quid in the UK, which although crazily it does seem expensive, it's the price of a Mastertronic game 30 years ago.

Quick edit - it's also rock hard (unless i'm just getting rusty)

7. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for that ^^^

Bit confused about:
    Another five stages are scheduled for version 2.0 in February,
    2013, to be added in addition to the five stages included in the
    current version.
    But screenshot 5 shows eleven stages, already ?

Gotta sleep over first and, who knows, the Devs join in to clear
    out a few things. Happy birthday wife !

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can't believe games don't have auto rotate!

The game itself I really love. If this was relative touch it would be brilliant. Not keen on tilt but love the graphics in this

9. nullterm

nullterm Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 30, 2009
    Really fun and love the retro vector look. The scale of the opening ships is rally cool.

As other mentioned, the controls would be nicer with options. For me, I'd like a pitch invert. But at the same time as a dev I understand the decision to stick with one scheme for all for simplicity.

Definitely needs a virtual pad for iPad. iCade would be cool too.

10. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    iCade would be pretty wicked too come to think of it.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Okay, If Connector can be the Offical Head of the TA Dead Trigger Defense Squad, then me (I have a VB and, except for a few I lost, the entire game catalog) and VirtualboyFreak deserve to be granted offical titles as Chairmen of the Virtual Boy Fanciers Fraternity.

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I`ll give it a try :D

13. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I just stuck this on am iPad mini and it plays well with tilt. For some reason I keep going back to this. Stakker's Humanoid would be the perfect soundtrack. I really do think it's worth a go if you like vector games or shooters.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #35 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Yeap, agree. I have all the games (US and Japanese versions) plus two Bound High carts and several other goodies :D Anyway, back to topic, how's Vectros compared to Red Alarm and other similar games? Is it worth it in the end?

I've just watched Sanuku's video and if I had to bet, I'd say the dev was involved in T&E soft's Red Alarm for the VB (or the dev is a great fan of Red Alarm.) The similarities I see (aside from vector graphics :p) are:

1. Intro is similar: your ship on a platform exiting the base through a tunnel. You can see several ships identical to yours in both games.
    2. HUD layout is quite similar.
    3. Those 90-degree direction changes are similar to some of the paths you had to take in Red Alarm.

There are also things which are different, such as the explosions with coloured polygons. In Red Alarm, everything aside from the HUD was vector graphics. Nonetheless, there is something behind Vectros which reminds me a lot of Red Alarm, and I've played that one a lot, believe me.

15. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Game is AMAZING!!! Fun to play and nice difficulty ramp up. Tilt controls work extremely well and are very responsive. The game plays like the Starfox battles from within the motherships. Love the vector graphics! And for those fearful to part with their hard earned $5, nows the time to pick it up for a buck! Passing it up, would be a HUGE error.

16. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Bought! Thanks demod1!

Strangely, this game seemed to wither on the vine when it came out in early 2013, with the only update in the same timeframe. So I was concerned that it wouldn't be compatible with an iPhone 6 Plus. But there's a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jXUBtYxNQ showing that it works just fine - including correct aspect ratio. I can add that there are no issues with iOS 8.4.1.

The video also shows that the controls are flight sim-like (pushing your phone/table top away from you results in the spacecraft pitching down). I happen to prefer this, but I would be calling for the option to invert pitch if the control was reversed. Also, it may be my imagination, but it seems that yaw control is available too by pushing the sides away from you, as opposed to roll by rotating clockwise/counterclockwise.

And yes, the sound can not be adjusted, but the soundtrack is by the founder of Taito's Zuntata!

Finally, there's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nstxBsHm_w) that shows more than the first level. I haven't seen them yet (wanted to post), but there are asteroids to dodge, capital ships, and a requisite core.

Needless to say, highly recommended.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I bought this game about a year ago when I first got the iPhone. I still play it. I do with they would invert the controls but it's an awesome game. It reminds me of the old Star Wars arcade game you sat in!

Billy

18. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    It didn't catch my attention and/or i simply didn't understand the words what they mean (not english native and i didn't use LEO as much as i do these days): "I'd like a pitch invert."

This game was by far the oldest on my wish list, more than two years, and i hardly ever check that list. What a surprise to see a price fall from $5 to $1, for the first time ever. Also, after a rather quick update back then, nothing more happened to this game. Seeing less than 4k on the leaderboards says enough of how bad this game was sold, and my guess is, we'll never see any update.

I bought the game before i read the new posts about the "wrong"inverted controls. I call them wrong, because i simply cannot handle the sim-like behaviour.
    To be clear: up is down, down means going up and left is left, right is right, at least.

No screen orientation, the homebutton is on the left on my 5s. Here i'm lucky.

I also can't find an email adress, and pushing instructions in the app leads me to an unknown sign/log-in page. Nope, not one more.

Recommended?
    Only if you get along with the these gyro controls. If you don't mind them, you're in for a nice treat with a great visual vector spectacle.

19. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Not working (for me at least) on iOS 9