iPad Vector Tanks EXTREME! [by BlipTime Studios]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Feb 25, 2010.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I'm playing on a iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 and without jailbreak, if that helps.

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Anyone else with my specs? 2G Touch with 4.1 OS playing this game? I'm sure it runs fine on everyone's shiny new 4G device, but it's sloooooow on my 2G. E-mailed the dev yesterday but no response as of yet. :(

3. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    My 2G+OS 3.13 (with sound working in only one ear) runs VTE at normal speed, but occasionally fails to register a firing tap. My 4G iPT+ OS 4 runs VTE almost in slow motion;iPad+OS 3.2 runs VTE at a consistently high framerate.

4. Kramer

Kramer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Can we have an option to flip the screen please. When using headphones, the jack sticks in your palm on iPhone 4.

Game Center update would be brill, but I doubt that will happen.

5. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Ah, so this is an iPod issue I guess, since it runs on my iPod in near slow motion as well. Interesting. One thing though, since the latest build is only compatible with 3.2 and above, how are you running it with iOS 3.1.3 on your 2G? I guess you are using the older build that is compatible with 3.1.3 and that's why it runs at normal speed?

6. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    I believe the current build of VTE is installed, considering that no VTE icon appears under the list of app updates. The OS is still 3.13 on that device, so possibly the support was unintentional.

7. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    My 4G iPT+ OS 4.1 runs VTE perfectly, Grubjelly.

8. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    I'm not sure whether it's a case of my 4G iPT having had low available memory the last time I played it on that device, or whether setting "Airplane Mode" to "On" (just noticed that option a little while ago) did the trick, but I just played two games of VTE (the second was ~180K, and is designated 4G on the leaderboard) with very minimal slowdown - maybe 6-8%, that was evident primarily when up close to many tanks firing at each other in Insanity mode.

Maybe some of the more avid fans will be able to gently convince the dev to clean up the leaderboard so that fewer repetitions of the same names appear. I have no problem with having my ~200K iPad score been bumped out of the top-10 in the world by 5 iterations of a player with nicknames "skip" and "that didn't end well," (seriously, 400K by a list-wrecking bad attitude in a game with save-state - show me an iota of skill), but it does grate a little that even my lower scoring runs litter the lists by uploading when I opt not to do it; the reason it grates being that it bumps other players out of the top 25, 50, 100, etc.

On the other hand, the fact that such an exceptionally well-executed and conceived mobile game costing a couple bucks would have online highscores at all would have astonished just a year or two ago. So props to Peter Hirschberg for accommodated the less Titan among us by extending the highscores beyond the standard 5 or 10.

9. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Glad you got it resolved. I almost always have Airplane mode on, maybe that helps.

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Doesn't work for me. :-/ Damn, I need a new device.

11. peterhirschberg

peterhirschberg New Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Greetings! Thank you all for your input and feedback, and I apologize profusely for the performance problem that cropped up. I will be submitting an update in the next week or so to resolve this problem.

I also want to apologize to anyone who is trying to download the app and getting a "no longer available" message. This is caused by a problem renewing my developer license (ahhhhhh!!!). It should be solved in the next day or two and the app again available for download.

A gigantic THANK YOU goes out to Touch Arcade for listing Vector Tanks Extreme in their 2010 list!!

Again, my apologies for the troubles!

-Peter Hirschberg

12. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Peter -

Thank you for such a great game! I was one of those who back in the 80's could play Battlezone at the Golden Dome in Greenbelt all day on one quarter. Great to relive the experience with VT Classic and also enjoy the amped up Extreme version.

- Greg

13. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    #113 Grubjelly, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    Funny how you don't call when they......need something. Congrats on the kudos, and good luck getting your app store affairs in order.

Edit:

Once again it appears that vectortanks.com and its extended leader boards are no longer available. Did Peter Hirchberg let that expire too? If that be the case, then VTE effectively has no leaderboard system. Not one of the duplicate, spammed in-game entries in this save-state supporting game has provided any video proof, so they may as well be all the same person. At least with the extended system, established players unwilling to underclock or save-scum in order to defend the top spot still have a system for competing.

14. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    It may be that I tired, but I have no idea what you just said.

15. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    this has to be killing you. I've been trying to buy VT:Extreme for 3 days now and its still down. Bad timing considering the TA mention in the big GOTY listing on the front page...

16. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I was going to purchase because the original went free and I discovered that I liked this type game. Let us know when it becomes available again. I will be purchasing it. Definitely bad timing with the publicity on touch arcade.

17. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    It is available again. Price reduced to 99 cents too. I just purchased it. Thanks.

18. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    #118 Zevious Zoquis, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    Excellent. Will grab mine tonight... :)

...erm...the game that is. :eek:

19. Pete the Geek

Pete the Geek Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Math Teacher
    North-Western Ontario
    It's back and it's Groovy.

I just got Vector Tanks and Vector Tanks Extreme! and they are *awesome*. I particularly like the control scheme, it is very responsive. The first time I got the cracked viewfinder I had a flashback to the 1980s and started looking in my pocket for another quarter!

20. Deamon34

Deamon34 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    This game is awesome, love the old style graphics & LOL @ the video!