iPad Vector Tanks EXTREME! [by BlipTime Studios]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Brendonian

Brendonian Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I'm loving "extreme", but has anybody else found it a bit buggy?

I've noticed that when I start the game for a second time, it seems to have some things hanging over from the previous game. I've seen a stationary, indestructible tank, heard a helicopter that isn't there, and seen direction indicators for non existant opponents. It's not a deal breaker, but I hope these things get fixed soon.

2. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #42 Grubjelly, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    Two or more scores could be from the same person playing on two different devices (e.g. an old iphone lying around), so top 5 only is a poor solution for idevices in general. I don't care about social networks, but their score systems are currently the best. Until people stop finding a way to edit score files for idevice games (not to suggest that has happened with Vector Tanks), lists should always show at least the top 25 or so.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, I usually see trucks that aren't really there. It almost seems intentional, as I've began to recognize them and know not to waste time shooting at them. It probably is a bug, though:D

That's the only one I've noticed. This is still a top notch game

4. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    But can you see your personal ranking if you are not in the top scores ?

I wish they would all merge too:) ..............Openfeint !

5. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I think it has top 10 in different categories. Personal and global. Its in my top five of all time favorite games. It's amazing.

6. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I think it has top 10 in different categories. Personal and global. Its in my top five of all time favorite games. It's amazing.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I just picked up Vector Tanks today and after playing that a bit decided to buy Extreme. Both are really awesome, but I really wish they would integrate OpenFeint. There is a leaderboard, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Also I like achievements.

Anyway, it's a great game and I'm glad I purchased it!

8. Doomboy

Doomboy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    England
    Yeah, so this game as everyone says is VERY addictive and genuinely one of the only apps I have truly become addicted to. I also like the fact that I don't have to go online to see my chart placing as I am No. 10 on the RAGE! rankings! :D

9. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I've really really been enjoying the Classic version of Vector Tanks, and although I'm probably going to cave and buy Extreme within the next ten minutes, I'm curious if there are any other control schemes avaliable in this version? Don't get me wrong, I love the controls; my only problem is when I'm in hot pursuit behind a Jeep and can't quite catch up to run it over, I have to either take both thumbs of the accelerators (so I don't spin and screw up my aim) to shoot, or bring the ipod up to my face and use my nose to press fire.

I'm sure it's just something you get used to as you play more, but would be nice to be able to tap anywhere to shoot or something.

10. that trailer was sick... did you hire an actor or is that one of the devs?

11. ra88it

ra88it Member

May 2, 2009
    Is it just me, or is there a bug in the life count? I start out with 3 tanks, then I die and I've got 2 tanks, then I die and I've got 0 tanks.

12. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Yep I have the same issue.

With Extreme the need for tap anywhere to shoot feels even more necessary than in Classic imo, if you can't drive and shoot you're a sitting duck, and the only way to drive and shoot is to awkwardly bend an index finger round.

I feel the whole game needs a tad more instruction. What is the purpose of leveling up? How does it work? (i.e. is it based on score or number of kills?) What is the difference between analogue and digital steering?

13. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Managed to get 5th place high score in Rage, only for it to be knocked down to 7th a couple of hours later :rolleyes:

Really surprised there isn't more chatter about this game, it's awesome!

14. justingamer

justingamer Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
  15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Leveling up doesn't meant that *you* level up, it means that the game levels up. Like Tetris. I.e. it gets harder. I tried the analog steering controls and really disliked them. I believe the idea is that how fast the tank track moves varies depending on how high or low you position your finger on that side. Sounds good in theory, but in practice I found it made it harder to control. I went back to digital steering and do much better with that and that's how Battlezone worked.

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Really enjoying this game.

I have one semi-complaint/suggestion (assuming the developer reads this forum): I'd really like there to be at least a short interval, after you die once and respawn, where your tank is invulnerable or takes a little less damage.

In games where I've scored a lot of points, almost all of them are racked up on the first life. When I start my second life in the middle of a barrage of enemies and bullets, I often die almost immediately. Which is frustrating.

Anyone else have this issue?

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes. That's what happens to me. For all intents and purposes, you really only have one life. Ok, so sometimes I manage to survive more then a few seconds with my 2nd life, but usually I die in about 5 seconds as I'm hit with a barrage of ammo that I can't seem to escape. It doesn't kill the game for me, but it would be nice if after you died, there was a short period, maybe just 5 seconds, in which the skill level dropped back, or enemies didn't fire, or something.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Left a 5-star review. The game is incredibly addicting. The only thing that pulls me away is Tilt to Live, but still prefer this over that.

Anyway, if the dev is reading this, he should really consider porting this to XBLA and/or PSN (seeing it and hearing it on an HDTV with surround sound wolud be incredible). Especially if multiplayer was added, I think this would be a huge hit.

Hope multiplayer is added to the iPod version as well.

19. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    #59 Grubjelly, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Just made it to #15 on the "Global Rage" leaderboard (49k, web scores), but really the app itself should display my handle in the top 10 list, since several of the scores above mine were posted by the same few people (8 of them by one person). My #7 "scorer" rank for that mode wouldn't last long in the top 10 anyway, considering how good the players of the other mode (Combat) seem to be.
    http://vectortanks.com/leaderboardRage.php

The following is a top 13 list without player duplicates for Global Rage mode:

1. Ehu 60200
    2. Dumpy 55900
    3. Dodo 53800
    4. Hidez 53300
    5. Chad 52700
    6. Kev 51900
    *7. Lukeb 49000
    8. Aeranth 48700
    9. Winegum 47100
    10. Hew 46850
    11. Yokabai 46600
    12. Sashicon 44700
    13. No. 9 44500

EDIT:
    Just made it into the top 10 scores for Global Rage! So far I'm pretty bad at the Combat mode, but haven't had the game long and jumped right into this survival mode. Probably won't last in the top 10, so here's the screenshot for that list as well as Combat mode, included out of respect for those players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2nd EDIT:
    #1 in Global Rage! mode @ 63k. Woot.

20. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    #60 Grubjelly, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Less than 2 hours ago (around midday), the app exited Combat mode just after the score had passed the 105k mark, which would have been good for a global, if temporary, #1 spot. I have no way of proving such, yet I was doing so well that it was tempting to take a screenshot of the in-game state showing score, ~half shields, and rockets equipped, because the end was surely close anyway, and because #1 had already been achieved.

Usually I refrain from repeatedly submitting new scores that are either lower than my best, or so few points excess of it that submitting would needlessly bump a player out of the top 10 or so without advancing my global rank. Going forward, I may submit all scores over 90k, just to drive those points home.

If my handle ends up being the only one in the combat top-10 list and that annoys people (it sure would annoy me), then blame the developer's choice of system, not me.