iPad Vase Craze

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mehware, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    #1 mehware, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    Vase Craze is the third iPhone game I wrote.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vase Craze in the App Store Click Me!

Be sure to check out http://mehware.com for more details!

I am giving away 10 promo codes to Vase Craze, pm me for a code. You must use the code in the US App Store, have firmware 2.2. Thanks.

Vase Craze Description:

You are a warehouse worker whose only job is to catch all of the falling vases from the conveyor as they are manufactured before they hit the floor. Watch out though, this warehouse gets pretty crazy!

Game Features Include:

-3 skill level modes
    -10 levels per mode
    -Energizing music tracks
    -Realistic physics
    -Beautiful 3D graphics and effects
    -Addicting gameplay
    -Tons of replay value

Vase Craze Help Splashscreen:

Goal:
    -To collect the predetermined number of vases before the predetermined number of drops is reached.

Rules:
    -"Touch/Tap" whichever belt you want the cart to go to next.
    -If 2 vases of the same color are caught in a row, then you are awarded 1 drop back.

Menu System:
    -Ability to pause game from the toggle button on the bottom
    -Select the main menu by clicking Vase Craze banner in the back of the warehouse.

2. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    #2 mehware, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    Here is a video of gameplay! Version 1.0

Thanks. :D

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I think this has the potential to be a really fun game. I've only played through the first 3-4 levels on easy, so these are just initial comments.

- Transition between menus and game screen is a bit sluggish
    - The back two conveyor belts on the first level are hard to hit

On the plus side, I can already see where this will be challenging in a good way, especially at higher levels when playing with multiple rows of conveyors. I will provide a complete review when I've had the opportunity to play some more.

4. Well I tried it but felt sluggish. Maybe allowing swiping of conveyor belt to speed up vase to drop off quicker so one doesn't have to wait. Many times I'd move away before it dropped. Or failing that have it where you tap and can queue up multiple locations. But don't let the bin left without collecting the dropped vase. Perhaps have two bins one on left and one on right side so you are multitasking.

5. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    Thank you very much for both of your feedback. We are working hard on an update to take care of some bugs and polishing up gameplay making it faster overall.

6. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Ive only had the chance to play relatively briefly, but Here are my thoughts
    -as everyones mentioned it is very slow...the first time I played it I rebooted my iPod thinking it was frozen
    -the controls right now, are frankly unplayable imho, it is way too hard to click on a belt, particularly for the speed and precision needed for the game - I would suggest making it so you press clearly defined areas below each column of belts. This would be easier to touch, plus there's no difference between touching a top or bottom belt of the same column
    -I really like the two bin idea, maybe that could be added ability level?
    -I also like the idea of being able to speed up coveyor belts, it would add more action and strategy
    -I do not like the qeueing idea, because the game should be about speed, this would take away the skill involved in a quick bin movement
    -just thought of another potential control scheme...maybe the bin could just follow your finger, wherever you drag it across the floor (though at a consistent pace, not however fast you drag your finger)

All in all this game has a lot of potential, the graphics are nice and I love the GarageBand music. if fixed up a bit, the gameplay could get quite intense...thats all I gotta say for now, will post back if I have other though

7. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    We dropped the price to $0.99! :) This should help sales a bit.

8. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks again for all your replies. We made gameplay faster, tighter, more fun and enjoyable in version 1.1 and ironed out bugs.

We have a new control scheme as well. There are now two carts. You control the left one with your left thumb using the left switch and the right one with your right thumb using the right switch. When you let go of the switch the cart stops.

Below is a screenshot. Again the price has been dropped to 0.99cents.

[​IMG]

iTunes Link to Vase Craze

http://www.mehware.com

I will be posting a video shortly aswell as giving away 10 promo codes when the app is updated.

Performance is much better in this new version and it was compiled under 2.0 so the people that haven't updated yet can play it be it their iphone or ipod touch.

9. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    have to agree....too slow....way too slow....

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Has the update been submitted yet? I can't wait to try this new version.

11. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    The update was submitted yesterday it should be available mid-late this week. I captured a video of the game and threw it on youtube. The quality is decent, I used my iSight. Tougher than you think to make a movie with it. I highly recommend iShowU HD as screen capture software. I overlaid music in the video. Its not music from my ipod.

Here is the video showing off the updates and new gameplay.

What do you guys think?

12. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    looks much improved, can't wait to try it :D

thx for being so receptive of our advice

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It looks quite interesting, and certainly eliminates the back row clicking problem :) Of course, the true test will be hands on time, since you've in some ways created a brand new game here :)

14. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    Alright guys and gals, version 1.1 of vase craze is up!

Click to buy! (App Store)

I am giving away 10 promo codes to Vase Craze 1.1 to the first 10 people who pm me.

Thanks

15. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    reminds me of the game "root beer tapper" on the commodore 64

i'll have to peep this

16. mehware

Nov 22, 2008
    Heh, root beer tapper was an influence on the game.

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I definitely like the new interface better. However, is there a way to get the carts to stop at the middle conveyors? I can get them to "hover" per se, but they're still moving a bit one way or the other. Also, it would be nice if when you beat a level the game progressed to the next level instead of going back to the main menu. Jumping back to the menu after every level is such an abrupt transition and it feels like the game is broken rather than that it's supposed to happen.

18. You might do good in Russia appstore. #1 entertainment app (well #2 currently) is Crazy Eggs and also iCatcher and GW Egg are top sellers too. All just like Vase Craze.

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Hey mehware, you still around? I was just playing this again today, and I think you have some issues. I noticed that in the App Store description it says that you use the switches to move the carts, and when you let go the carts are supposed to stop. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the case. In fact, I can find no way to get the carts to stop under the middle conveyors at each side. I have to keep pushing the switch up and down to cause the cart to somewhat "hover" in the middle spot.

Also, there are times where I push the switch up, and the cart stops just a bit before it reaches the far conveyor belt, so I can't get the vases falling off the far end. Sometimes when the cart is at the front conveyor it seems to jerk a bit if I'm still pressing down and ends up in the wrong spot so I can't catch the vases on the front conveyor.

The save seems a bit weird as well. I had beaten 5 levels on newbie, and then decided to try tolerable. After playing 3 levels there I went back to newbie and suddenly had only 3 levels listed. I also had 3 levels listed in hardcore, which I hadn't had a chance to play yet. I exited the game, then went back in, and suddenly I had 5 levels open for each of the skill levels. I'm pretty sure the "catch 2 in a row and get a drop back" feature isn't working quite right, either.

This really has the potential to be a fun game, and I was enjoying it until I started running into all of these quirks. I hope there's a chance you'll make some tweaks to the game and update it in the App Store. Thanks!

20. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Mehware

There's no real way to say this politely, but Mehware is possibly the worst name for a game company that I've ever heard. This is entirely unrelated to the quality of the game, of course, which I hope is good and does really well for you. Seriously, though, put yourself in the position of a potential buyer; what inspires more confidence and generates excitement, Digital Chocolate, for instance, or...Mehware? Chocolate is sweet, delicious, and addictive! Was the name "Don't Buy This" already taken or something?