iPad Vans SK8: Pool Service v1.1 now available + temp price drop

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dubane, May 7, 2009.

1. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

#1 dubane, May 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
    I just received word that the v1.1 update to Vans SK8: Pool Service has been approved and is in iTunes.

I've already talked a little bit about the tweaks with this version (re-posted below), but I also wanted to let everyone know that we've talked with Vans and decided to temporarily lower the price to $2.99 as a way to thank everyone for their support, and to hopefully convince even more people to enjoy the game.

The biggest change in this update is that we’ve addressed the control issues that some players have reported in the initial version. We’ve done this by changing the timing of when calibration occurs (it now happens when each run starts instead of while it loads), as well as introducing an option to adjust the tilt sensitivity for players that want even tighter control of their player. The net result of all these changes is that users should find their skater much easier to control and navigate around the pool, especially in events like Pool Cleaner.

In addition to those control tweaks we’ve fixed a few other minor issues and added a restart option to the pause menu as requested by several people here.

I'm also happy to announce that we’ve begun work this week on development of a new pool environment. We don’t have an ETA for when this will be released but it should be included for free to all owners of Vans SK8: Pool Service with the next update.

Finally - we posted up a new trailer for the game a couple weeks back that I don't think I ever mentioned here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr32TcO7fmM&fmt=18

[hqyoutube]Nr32TcO7fmM[/hqyoutube]

If you don't already have Vans SK8 here's the iTunes link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309138776&mt=8

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, I just read earlier in the other thread it was close, now that's quick as poop:D

I will be awaiting it's USA arrival. Thanks to you Dubane for keeping TA up on the current.

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Will be DLing tomarrow.
    It was a needed update chase the controls turned me
    Off.
    Now Ill start playing :)

4. Korean

Korean Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    i dont see a price drop?? still 4.99...

5. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Another pool in the works and a sale? I like it :)

I'd say jump on this folks if you haven't already.

6. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

Price drop is showing on some iTunes pages for me, so it should start appearing soon. Probably should have waited until it showed up to post originally but I wanted you all to be the first to know :)

7. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Awesome - just downloaded the update. This is by far one of my favorite games

8. ksl2006

ksl2006 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Gamer
    Planet Earth
    I'll wait for reactions on the controls from the update..

9. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to hearing what people say too. I know in our tests and talking to people, we should have the issues addressed, but I'm never completely sure until I see what everyone else says :)

10. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Insane game, great update!
    But all things said, I have a framerate issue now, it seems my iPod Touch 1st Gen 32 G is struggling and having some seizures. Am I the only one? I have reset my ipod touch once, will do it once more to make sure it's not the issue.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    The perfect test for the control sensitivity was the pool cleaner mission. I turned it all the way up, played, I got a new high score the first time.:)

12. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

Really? We haven't noticed any issues here. Normally I'd say you should restart but it sounds like you already did. I'll PM you and we can try to figure out what's going on.

13. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Will do!

I'm really having a blast, I'm somehow much better at this than I was before. On my son's 2nd gen ipod touch it works great! maybe I just did something wrong on my 1st G ipod...
    callibration works great, good to see more and more apps are beginning to introduce this! Camera tilt is subtle but I find it makes a big difference, I can see what I'm doing and time my tricks better.
    I think I won't be mistaken for an 8 year old so often anymore! :D

14. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    This game is by far my favorite skateboarding game. I enjoyed it a lot even before the controls were fixed. The only thing that I am perplexed by is how to do aerials that are over 3000 points? Does it have something to do with the multiplyer? Anyway this is a great game and with the sale, an even better deal. Can't wait for a new pool!

15. dubane

dubane Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoy the game!

You're right, the only way to get above 3000 points in an aerial is with a multiplier. You might want to try performing your trick and then landing into a grind by touching both fingers while you're still in the air. The resulting multiplier will apply to the trick you just did.

16. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    O ic now. K thanks :)