Universal Vampire Survivors (by Poncle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anotherkellydown, Dec 8, 2022.

1. TheRealist82

TheRealist82 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2016
    „Yet, other than 20 Minutes, every other one has some sort of consumable IAP. Despite the entirely opt-in ads, this doesn’t have a single one…

…not even one for ad-removal, which, kindly, if anyone has a Twitter account on here, please hit up poncle_vampire and ask if they’d consider adding one, please.“

Graphics bad, gameplay dull, game rounds too long. Vampire Survivors would be good if there weren't already countless better games. Even without in-app purchases, these can be played wonderfully. My favorite is definitely Survivor.io until now. I can only recommend!

2. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    i have some bug on ios, cannot close ad, progress not save if you kill the app.

i agree, there are a lot and more polished game like this on the store

3. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    There are no better representatives. Because this is the original game that has defined a new genre. It‘s no wonder this game was nominated in the game awards last night in the category best debut game. Vampire Survivor is also the most developed of all the games in this genre and survivor.io or 20 minutes till dawn are just fast made copycats. All other games just tried to jump on the same train with much less to deliver. And then there are a lots of others with with f2p models and consumable IAP that i don‘t want to mention.
    I played them all and i can assure this game has a lot of content. The further you play, the more of the world you will unlock. I played through survivor.io in a few days and it was shallow. I played through 20 minutes till dawn in a week and it was a bit better but still very shallow.
    Vampire Survivor was never about great graphics. It was the concept that was outstanding. The whole package is just damn good.

elcrazy and Rocco SE like this.
  4. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    #24 Rocco SE, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    That comments hurts my indie mobile gamer heart, A LOT.

Survivor.io to me is one of the better made cash grabs that has no chance in any department compared to Vampire Survivors. VS was the genre defining game (after being inspired by a very similar mobile game on Android), that still does everything better than the competition. It‘s the right amount of challenging (unlike Survivor.io which is way too easy for way too long just to throw you at some soft walls), the maps are huge, varied and fun to explore, hunting for destructable items and treasure is really fun. Weapon upgrades are also super fun, and especially during late game mayhem really intense. Presentation is cool, with tons of enemy types and various attack patterns. There is no fat, no ugly freemium menus. It‘s all about brilliant gameplay. I played this one all night. I also played EVERY single VS like on iOS, with Gothic Survival, Demon Survival and 20 Minutes Till Dawn being my favs so far. But in the end, Vampire Survivors just checks a few boxes more. To me, the mix of all elements at work just plays brilliantly.

Easily one of my fav mobile releases in 2022.

5. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Totally agree... well-said!

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Welp, it was nice knowing you. EAT THIS BANHAMMER! *makes whooshing sound*

I kid. TA is built on civility and your opinions will always have a place here. But you're wrong. >:C

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Just curious — are people playing portrait or landscape?

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Portrait all the way!

Rocco SE likes this.
  9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I played this first on Xbox, so I got used to landscape. Portrait makes more sense for one-handed play, so I will have to give it a chance :).

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Coming from PC myself, and yeah, I dunno…maybe it’s the fact that it’s a one-handed game, but something feels off when playing in landscape for me personally. Maybe I need to turn on the virtual joystick when in landscape? Hmm!

11. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    This to me this is the definition of a made-for-portrait game. The original inspiration also was a portrait game. It‘s controlled with one thumb. It cannot get more portrait friendly than this. That‘s why it‘s such a perfect mobile title.

metalcasket and squarezero like this.
  12. TheRealist82

TheRealist82 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2016
    You have problems... ‍

Anotherkellydown and metalcasket like this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    @Rocco SE Tried tweeting Poncle, noticed others have too, and know you've talked about an ad-removal IAP, and it breaks my heart that there's no response. :(

14. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Played first on Game Pass but got distracted by the constant flow of premium, free games on the service. Having this on my phone just shows how much more I’ll play a game if it’s always with me. My new go-to when I’ve got 20 minutes or so.

Portrait all the way here! It’s great that there’s an option for both.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #35 tops2, Dec 10, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    Just played a few rounds. Totally forgot how slow, but hard the early game is! Still fun (but I probably won't grind since my Steam version has a lot unlocked from the early access days before burning out). If they could somehow transfer the save over... ;) Lol. But better it stays on the laptop so I won't get hooked again.

Edit: So much for not playing it on the phone. Just did a bunch of runs… lol

Edit2: Had to delete the game. Started to feel the addiction kick in again! Lol.

sebgo likes this.
  16. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    I somehow can't play games with such primitive graphics, sorry. It was never different for me before.

Greetz Chris

17. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I play portrait with touch controls and landscape with my Shaks S5i controller. The game is incredible!

18. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

This is the best Vampire Survivors clone there is. Oh, wait...

At first I thought it was too slow to make some decent progress. Fast forward a few runs and the thought was gone. I went to bed at 5 a. m.

I've been playing it mostly in landscape mode, since it shows more info on screen during character selection (or at least I can't see which stages I've completed with each in portrait mode).

It's definitely my favorite mobile game this year. I had never tried, or even seen in action, the game that inspired so many clones, including 20MTD which is now my second favorite game this year.

I love the retro Castlevaniesque style and the way visual intensity goes up (now I understand the photosensitive alert), to an almost insane level. Laying waste to so many enemies on the screen at once is a lot of fun, even if it's repetitive gameplay.

There's a huge amount of unlockable and upgradeable content in this game, it's insane, although I'm currently a bit stuck in some stages that I haven't managed to complete.

Several characters with skin selection, bestiary with more than 100+ different enemies, grimoire, many different weapons (the amount of possible combos is huge), secrets...

I think I definitely have to check Survivor.io, if it's better than this, as some say.

(ˆڡˆ)

metalcasket likes this.
  19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Oh wow, gameplay has a real ending!!!
    you have to survive for 30 minutes, when all enemies on screen literally die and disappear, and a single creature (death?) comes and kills you in less than 4 seconds, without leaving any chance of survival.
    what an amazing game we have here…

sebgo and Anotherkellydown like this.