Universal VALKYRIE PROFILE: LENNETH (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, May 28, 2018.

1. ctathemarius

ctathemarius Well-Known Member

May 11, 2018
    Is it possible to choose between Japanese and English as the character voice in this game? What languages does the voice currently support in this game? Thanks in advance to those who tried and replied.

2. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    is this the PS1 or PS version?

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Member

Jan 4, 2017
    what has been "improved" to HD ? backgrounds ? sprites ? UI ? some of these, all of these ? it would be mega nice if someone could provide some in-game screenshots. I really really hate this habit on the appstore of showing 3 tiny screens in a single preview picture, it shows nothing of the actual game.

lezrock likes this.
  4. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #24 nyanpass, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Here is what I commented on the last time.

Comments on HD graphics improvements about this game.

PSP ver :

https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/upcoming-valkyrie-profile-lenneth-by-square-enix.317479/#post-4089461

Mobile ver :

https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/upcoming-valkyrie-profile-lenneth-by-square-enix.317479/page-2#post-4092536

https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/upcoming-valkyrie-profile-lenneth-by-square-enix.317479/#post-4090947

Videos uploaded to the developer's official SNS can all be played on the links below.
    Check if you are interested. :)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsHA74V3bmZ60V3ga6H0fStwArB_gIY_3

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As nyanpass alluded to above, this is an enhanced port of the PSP version, which was itself an enhanced port of the PS1 version. This is a similar version history to FFT.

One thing that should be noted is that this version fixes the terrible loading times (from what I’ve read) of the PSP version.

6. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Member

Jan 4, 2017
    thanks ! not bad for an improved version. obviously not a remaster but not bad (like FF tactics, which is a "true" remaster with HD sprites). I know the game is incredibly good, but in my eyes it has aged terribly. some games are better off remembered if you already played them.
    still, people should try this one, one of the best stories of the psx era.

now if square enix could grant us a vagrant story port, this one is a massive hidden gem, far better than valkyrie profile IMO.

7. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    #27 nyanpass, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    The tri-Ace RPG features user-friendly elements(unique Yarikomi) and excellent game system. A typical advantage of tri-Ace rpg is a fairly exciting battle. In addition, the OSTs in the game are great. Because of these, the game became known as a masterpiece in PS1 game history.

But the majority of positive reviews of this game for the mobile version are likely to be old gamers who remember the past. As you can see, there is no guarantee that past experiences and feelings are the same after time has passed...

Anyway, this game is not perfect, but the mobile version is also not bad. It is meaningful that the users can enjoy the ending of this game called the masterpiece without the fatal error on the mobile version.

8. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    I wanted Japanese voice & English sub, but confirmed that the global version is English voice & English sub...

9. ctathemarius

May 11, 2018
    Thank you for letting us know about it. I expected to hear the voices of the game characters in Japanese. Because they are professional actors, their voices make the game more interesting and increase the immersion of the game. I hope that Square Enix will allow users to choose from options. FFXV Pocket Edition had such a feature. They have the ability to do it.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’ve read that the problem is usually licensing. It is likely that the Japanese voicetrack was licensed only for Japan, and after 19-20 years it’s not worth it for them to track down the original actors (and pay them). On newer games like FF15, it’s likely that they paid for international licenses on the Japanese voicetrack.

11. ctathemarius

May 11, 2018
    Thank you, sir. I did not know there was such a licensing issue. I came to know something new.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No problem. I was surprised, too, but it makes sense if you think about it.

13. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    For mobile users, the release of this game is welcome. For one thing, it is a good start.

[​IMG]

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thanks for posting this and reminding me to go rate it. Here comes another 5 stars!

15. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Anyone know if it takes up the full iPhone X screen? May be at the hospital tonight so may download this before anything happens to me! (Priorities lol)

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    This version keeps the proportions of the original, so it has decorative borders. The floating controls work on the border, though, and the menus are basically full screen.

Harti likes this.
  17. yorrick

yorrick Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I am so glad that someone else remembers this classic game!
    The rhythm combat and melding of weapons, armour and skills was a wonderful balance. I have not seen any other game like this since the PS1 days!

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Considering it’s set in the same universe as FFT, it would only make sense for it to get an iOS port :).

19. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    #39 drmad, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Can anybody elaborate about the partial controller support?i dont want to play it on ipad pro 12.9 with virtual button,?what’s supported with the controller support?i own a nimbus.... i dont have a capable iphone right now...sigh

Menu touch only, in game movement controller supported?

Can the virtual controlle UI hidden?

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Bought this last night and have been hooked. Someone said this hasn't aged well in the comments and I completely disagree. I'm a huge RPG fan however there are many classics I haven't played, including this one. Then I started playing it and haven't been hooked this much in a while on a mobile RPG.

It's not perfect but it's amazing. Main issues are the controls are wonky. I don't like the floating stick which actually makes the platform parts harder. Since you can easily screw up moving your character with a floating stick, they should have added an option for a immovable stick. I'll probably put that in a review. I'm assuming the original game used a walk and run button? It's extremely hard to side step traps in the mobile port since your character just runs like crazy everywhere. This would definitely be less pravalent if they didn't have a floating virtual stick.

Also the tutorial in the game itself is pretty bad. I had to look up guides on Youtube and learned so many things. Hell I got stuck in the first dungeon because they don't explain how to use ice crystals correctly. I guess they don't want to hand hold you but some of the features are unintuitive.

My favorite part of this game is the combat. It's refreshingly fun and I wish more games had something similar. It's turn based but it's "active" in that you have to all attack the enemy to combo them to death. It's really cool. Then the sprite work in the game is really special. Flowing hair, great movements, beautifully drawn. Love it.

drmad likes this.