Universal Vainglory - (by Super Evil Megacorp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Solstice Arena. Quite different from archetypical MOBAs, but durned good.

For true LoL-style MOBAing, there is only Heroes of Order & Chaos. But unless the server issues, loading times and crashes have been resolved (very possible), I would not recommend downloading it even for free. Also, the experience is so very similar to LoL, but with far less character, depth (thanks to a limited number of champions. The actual mechanics are actually quite similar), and communal support (of course) that I'd rather play LoL the few times I'm around a computer with time to spare (which is rarely, almost as rare as the times when I WANT to play LoL ;) ).

2. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    The large reviews haven't compared it to FF yet. Anyone want to chime in on one vs the other? Pros and cons of each?

3. appusan

appusan Active Member

Jul 19, 2014
    That's mainly because Vainglory hasn't released Worldwide yet and is still in its beta.

Having played both Vainglory and Fates Forever for quite awhile I can definitely say Vainglory is the better game overall though in still in its beta. These are my reasons

Fates Forever

Pros
    - Fast gameplay
    - Characters centered around a universal theme
    - Great user interface
    - Great Dev support at forums
    - Great background music and character voices
    - Unique and racy art style
    - Fair currency system where you can play as much as you like and save up on in game currency to get characters than buying them through IAP.
    - Ingame voice chat and chat boxes before and after a match

Cons
    - Less strategic gameplay compared to Vainglory
    - Uncreative and incomplete Map (a direct copy of 3 vs 3 LoL map), useless jungle
    - Lags, bugs and crashes occurs frequently. It requires restarting of iPad once every 2 to 3 games
    - Frequent server crashes
    - Item shop not well thought out
    - Usually only one viable way to play a character
    - Characters' not balanced out completely
    - No boss monster
    - No other mode of communication in game other than voice chat

Vainglory (beta)

Pros
    - Unique and creative map that offers a much more deeper experience compared to Fates
    - Better, deeper and more sensible item shop compared to Fates allowing multiple viable builds for characters
    - Better realized characters in their concept and role
    - Presence of boss monster in jungle
    - Smooth and almost lag free matches
    - All characters free, no IAPs currently (but it may change soon)
    - Great Dev support and interaction at the forums, more community involvement by organizing meet-ups
    - Characters balanced out overall
    - Great art style with console like graphics comparable to its PC counterparts
    - Pings like "Go here" "Avoid" etc to facilitate in game communication
    - Availability of a website that has tutorials and runs down everything regarding the game.

Cons

- Lack of any other mode of in game communication besides Pings
    - Lack of music currently and voices are available for a some characters only (more are getting added in each update)

That's all I can think of for the cons for VG really, even those are already being worked on by the devs. I find Vainglory still the superior game even though its in beta and FF is not, that goes to show how much better it is.

4. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Thanks

5. appusan

appusan Active Member

Jul 19, 2014
    A new update will be hitting next week, where we get a new character: A Mech and its rider, can't wait! This is so far the best MOBA on iPad, wonder why it wasn't covered by toucharcade during its soft launch?

6. appusan

appusan Active Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Vainglory was featured on the first few minutes of Apple's keynote presentation and is now confirmed coming out for the iPhone 6 as well as iPads.

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So now I wonder if only for iphone 6 or all iphones soon? Interesting it's their highlight product for this year.

Though I imagine people on ipads will have a huge edge over people will smaller screen space.

8. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    hmm...searching in the Singapore store but not seeing it

9. Domisan

Domisan Active Member

Aug 27, 2014
    hope it is coming soon to europe region... can't wait to play this! i am a huge fan of dota2 but i am on ipad/iphone only concerning gaming now so....

10. Cagey75

Cagey75 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Imagine the proper RPG, with an actual story! that could be made using graphics like this!

I'm just so done with the LOL/Dota clones, there's one every other day lately :(

11. Domisan

Domisan Active Member

Aug 27, 2014
    we only need just one good clone! maybe this is the one...

12. appusan

appusan Active Member

Jul 19, 2014
    #32 appusan, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    There is some maintenance going on, it will be back in the appstore soon.

Though it may seem like that, Vainglory is one of the most unique MOBAs I've come across. You will notice it on seeng the map and also while playing, seeing through the item builds.

13. Singer

Singer Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Vainglory for iPhone 6 and iPhone Plus

Vainglory was featured on stage at Apple's press event and will be supporting Apple’s new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus and Metal technology - and iPad

You control a single hero in a 3-player vs. 3-player battle. Your goal is to shatter a giant crystal (called the Vain) in the center of the enemy team’s base on the opposite side of the map. Their goal is to shatter your Vain crystal.

You’ll travel down the lane from your base to the enemy base in attempts to reach their Vain crystal before they can reach and break yours. Along this path, you’ll encounter stationary turret cannons that will shoot you and your teammates on sight and kill them. You also have turrets on your side of the lane that will shoot down enemies. Enemy turrets are very dangerous to you; they will kill your hero in a few quick cannon shots. Yet to advance, your team must take down these turrets one by one.

Always keep in mind, Vainglory is a race between both teams to see which team can level up and buy the most powerful items the fastest; the more powerful team will have a distinct advantage and a greater likelihood of victory.

14. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Only for iPhone 6?

15. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    the game will be universal

16. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Release date? Any estimate?

17. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Soft launched in Singapore in June (iPad).
    Guessing it gets a universal update and worldwide release around the 19th when the new phones are in store.

18. Singer

Singer Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    out in October

19. jetveetlev

jetveetlev Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Super Evil Megacorp. Congratulation guys, featured in apple event!

20. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    According to their forums we will have some word today when the maintenance is over. Yay.