iPad Using the "Home" button as an actual button in a game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sense Field, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Sense Field

Sense Field Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    My understanding is that the home button responds to two things:

A single press and a double press

I wonder if these can be used in game...perhaps, instead of click home to quit a game they could have an option in the menu that quits the game. Navigating a menu is a small price to pay for having the use of the home button as an actual button in a game.

I'm not a developer, so I really have no clue how much control you might have over that stuff. I assume that Apple probably doesn't allow you too utilize it in that way but I figured it was worth asking and probably worth apple considering if they want to look at the iPhone and Touch as a gaming machine.

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I doubt the SDK would allow developers to have this option, and I don't really think apple will do this. Not a bad idea though

3. triela

triela Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I'd actually rather have the volume rocker be allowed as a control (and it would give you two buttons), keeping the home button for, you know, maybe exiting the game?

4. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Wishful thinking

I hope they change the home button to a small chrome joystick and scroll wheel, but unfotunatly it seems Apple really dislikes hard buttons. That's my biggest wish for the next generation.

5. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I'd rather have the power buttton as a shoulder button.

6. Yes I doubt Apple would allow the use of the Home button as such. The one thing I would like, if we are to keep the Home button's function as exiting an app to return to the Home screen, is to have a confirmation dialogue before exiting. Quite often I have pressed the Home button by accident while getting a little too excited playing a game, and would appreciate the option to have a confirmation appear built into the firmware.

7. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    #7 rootbeersoup, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    I'd rather be able to plug my old SNES controller into my iTouch

8. Oma

Oma Well-Known Member

It's called an iPod TOUCH for something!
    Why stick with the old geeky stuff like controllers?
    Touch is IN now!
    It's amazing how cool menus they can make with touch, and it doesn't actually exist that long yet...

More will be comming, i think.

9. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Oma's back! Alright, now we have a forum.
    Regarding the home button thing being used in a game, well, all I have to say is: hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaah, stupid idea, hahahaahhaahahahahahah

10. dag

dag Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    This is kind of a useless idea since ipod touch 1g users like myself don't have volume controls, but, if held on its side, with the home button to the left, the volume control could be used as as a button similar to the "r1" button on a ps2 controller.

11. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Bad idea: Nokia creates the Ngage, a cell phone gaming console that looks just like every other cosole on the market and provides no new or innovative ideas other than merging a phone and gaming platform. Sales are lackluster.

Good idea: Apple once again proves itself to be a pioneer and innovator by creating a device based 95% on touch control that also proves to be a powerful and capable gaming machine as well as cell phone (and then some). Sales are UP!!

Bad idea: Apple takes the innovative ideas behind the iPhone and adds support for game pads, button interfaces, thus destroying all originality in a cell phone that doubles as a powerful gaming console while doing NOTHING the way consoles have done in the past. Not gonna happen, people. Shouldn't happen either.

12. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't be so naive... Apple could do whatever they want and still make money

13. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Controllers are geeky? Dude, TOUCH SCREEN is geeky. Not that it matters, but still.

Anyone remember those old macs with the touch screens way back when? THOSE were geeky

14. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Controllers ARE geeky. Don't argue with Oma, whatever he says is the law...

15. alta219

alta219 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Right now the home button is not available to apps, and of course as you know pressing it from within an app quits the app and takes you to the home screen. That happens at a layer upstream of where the app runs.

There were requests to let apps disable the home button, but I don't see that happening -- it's got a pretty well defined role in the OS.

16. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I vote for keeping the button as it is. Say I'm a naive newbie that just downloaded a game by DS Effects. I realize the game sucks. A lot. I press the home button. A picture of a pixelated monkey will show up if I know DS Effects at all. Is it crappy programming, or is done on purpose... hmmm...

But seriously, if I want to exit an app, I want to exit it then and now :mad:

17. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York

+1 :)

18. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Drink that Apple kool-aid

19. kramszed

kramszed Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    the home button is a Mechanical button, wherein when it's used too often, it will loose, and on abuse = completely destroyed.

i don't think its a good idea to abuse the main button on the ipod.

20. Sense Field

Sense Field Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    OK...how about this other idea for controls...

Ok...so scrap the button idea...I like the idea of the volume switch being like and R1 button for a game. I don't see why that can't happen, after all you can map your in-game volume controls to it. Of course then you would have to put volume in the games pause menu.

Here is another idea...actually I thought of this before the whole "using the home button" idea...

I'm going to predict (or possibly give Apple the idea) that in some iteration of the iPhone, the black areas to the right and left of the screen when holding it landscape, will have touch sensitivity.

This would keep all the controls touch based but allow you to map controls outside of the viewing area. Of course games could have two sets of controls, one for those with the new "extra" touch area and one for the old devices that wouldn't support touch sensitive off screen areas.

Just and idea, I'm a Designer...I spend the majority of my life solving problems and the one problem I have with a lot of my games is the fact that my fingers cover part of the screen when playing a game. It's not a horrible problem...but a problem none the less