User Reviews Section

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Jun 1, 2009.

1. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Can't reply because it's a review. Discussions are for the forum general.

One thing I would like to see added:
    Even for a reviewer it is easy to be carried away with being the first review and the newness factor that characterizes so very many of the posts we get here.

I would like the original reviewer to go back to the game after 6 months and do a follow up. How well has it stood up? Would you rate the game the same now? Has the game been bettered by something else? This not only helps for that long term view but can also bump some interest into a game which is no bad thing.

2. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Having had a quick gander at the new Review section, it looks to me as though this might solve a short term problem, but it won't be long before the Review section itself is 20 pages long. Then people will be wading through those 20 pages instead of the 20 pages in the main discussion thread.

Of course, unless the Review section in alphabetized by name of game. At the moment it looks like a bit of a jumble to me.

3. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    why should you discuss the review in a completely different forum?......it makes zero sense to me.

and "can't reply because its a review"....sorry, but that makes no sense either.

4. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    #24 markx2, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    1. User posts "OMGOMG IT"S OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2. Masses of posts criticizing the cost, others saying it should be 99c, others still that they are waiting for x y or z, more asking "But is it worth it?????" and all manner of other stuff.

3. A sensible review or two are posted.

4. Masses of posts still criticizing the cost, others saying it should be free, others still that they are waiting for x y or z, more asking"But is it worth it?????" and all manner of yet more stuff.

Result:
    A good review completely lost in a dozen or more posts.

Someone new comes to the forum, can't find a review so posts their opinion on the game seeking to share their experience. They are met with "OMG can't you search???"

Result:
    An upset person who was just trying to be helpful.

Part of the solution:
    Have standalone reviews from which someone can then go follow a discussion which may help their buying decision.

So why not have discussion after the review? Because the discussion always always always starts the instant a game is out. And you can't review what you have not downloaded. And if you put the review in the thread you are back where you were. So putting the reviews in one place - and from what I understand the final format has yet to be decided so view this as being part of the solution, not the complete solution - makes perfect sense.

5. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    i can't follow you here.

if there is a review section the review will always be the first post and this means that all the comments will come AFTER the review is posted. at least in the review forum.

you are completely twisting the facts in a wrong direction.

so:

review section with enabled replies.

all the OMGOMG-posts will still be in the regular forum and finally there is room for a discussion of the review. since reviews are ALWAYS biased, its good to hear some other opinions to the game without having to read 10+ pages in the regular discussion forum. its just a MUST for the forum. its not a forum if you cannot comment on something. you can even comment on the reviews on the main page so i still don't get it.