User Reviews Rules

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by TheFamousEccles, Feb 26, 2010.

1. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    As you all probably know, you can't post on user reviews. My question is, why not? I just wrote a review recently, and I would like to have feedback and critiques of it. How else can I tell if any of my points are valid, or if my effort is appreciated?

If someone is completely off mark or is just shilling, members should be able to say so to give more balance.

Discuss.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You can post the review in the game's main thread too and anyone can comment if they want.

Also you can report a review by clicking the report button (red triangle on top right) if you believe there's something wrong with it.

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The reason responses aren't allowed in the User Review section is to prevent that section from becoming cluttered. You've seen how cluttered the main forum can become with useless posts.

If you want feedback, post your review in the appropriate thread. Trust me, people will tell you if you suck.

4. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I've posted 4 reviews in the user review section, and without feedback, I don't really even feel like posting the reviews at all. It would be nice if we could post a reply to reviews. It's still unclear to me why it's against the rules to post in the User Reviews section.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've posted two reviews in the User Reviews forum, and had feedback from both members and the developers of the respective games... in the topics and via PM.

6. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#6 Will090, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    I've posted several reviews in the user review section, I really wish readers of it would use the 5-star rating system for threads on them. While not actual concrete feedback, it could gauge how seriously people are taking my reviews

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Because everyone has different opinions on a game, and they're probably going to flame your reviews.

8. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Also so the section won't be full of your one sentence posts.

9. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    I've posted two reviews and I know they were at least decent because just hours after the first one went up I got a review request from another developer in exchange for a promo code.

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    You should be confident in what you've typed up already. The user reviews forum isn't for comments and critique, it is for well thought out reviews for other users.

11. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    @ImNoSuperMan

Wouldn't it be easier to not have to bump old threads? Generally that's frowned upon.

@Big Albie

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by becoming cluttered. As for the useless posts, well, it's the internet. The review section could be moderated more strictly if necessary.

@dogmeat
    Professional reviews can still be commented on. And when you're confident in your writing, that's when you stop improving.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    If you ain't confident, get the hell outta the User Reviews section. If I want to read rubbish I'll go to the release thread.

13. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    3 words--Look Around You! If that's not clear Eccles, you'll be famous for something else soon enough.

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    the reason it was set up like that was to avoid spreading out discussion about games across too many different threads.

arn

15. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #15 Twiddle, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    I know people appreciate my reviews. I've gotten 2 requests to review games in the User Reviews (both offered promo codes), and I've gotten 2 requests to help review in different websites. Still though, I would like some compliments in the thread itself, so I can learn from the feedback and get better.

EDIT: A possible solution could be to implement a rule that the comments must only be about the review itself, and not the game, or something of the sort. Any thoughts? Think it would work? If not, post your possible solution.

16. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Can't you just add a footnote in your review post to have people pm you if they want to give you feedback?

Opening up comments will have people arguing about why your opinion is wrong and all that, and it won't be any different from what's going on in the discussion threads. If you are so eager for reactions, maybe you should post in the game thread and not the reviews section.

17. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I'd like to be able to post on reviews.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The biggest problem I can see aside from simply being cluttered, is that the main incentive to reply to a review is usually because you don't agree with it. They're arguments waiting to happen.

19. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    A simple way to get reader feedbacks is to do what Albie used to do: post in both the reviews section and main game thread. If people don't agree with you they'll most certainly tell you.