User generated content

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Mar 11, 2011.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

I'm working on a game where user can create their own racing tracks with editor and share with others via some global repository.

Looking at the App store one can see that the simplest games UI wise are the most successful (ala Tiny Wings) and I'm wondering if this is the right thing to do?

Would users be interested in creating their own content, in this case racing tracks?

I'm just afraid that I'll spend a lot of time and create another flop. :(

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Fantastic Contraption has at least 25,000 user made levels and 30,000 user made designs. It could work, Labyrinth 2 being a more recent example. I for one would pay a lot more for a game if it has user made content.

3. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
  4. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Tiki Totems 2 features in-game editor and we have received well in excess of 15.000 e-mail level submissions

How does that translate to sales ? No idea, but having user-submitted levels makes updates hell of a lot easier :D

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Whatever user generated content you allow - a user will only be interested if he can see the results right away.

This is a minor point that we missed in Go Native!, we let users submit content which was then placed for moderation, then placed in the database (if approved). There was no guarantee the player would EVER see his question.