US iTunes Account outside of US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Ph4ntom4, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    #1 Ph4ntom4, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    Sorry if you're not allowed to discuss this here, but recently when downloading a free app from the US (Dance Dance Revolution Lite, not available in UK), I saw that the ToS has been changed and at the top it says they use electronic software to catch people who have US accounts outside of the US and they can do stuff to you.

Is this something to be worried about? I downloaded the app anyway because I think it's just to scare people and stop them doing it, I don't think they'd actually do anything. If it is the case however, what could they do if you got caught?

EDIT: Ok, I found the part:

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    me and my brother use the same account and he's in Europe, while I'm in the U.S. I haven't had any warnings or problems:)

3. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm in Australia. I have a US iTunes account that I set up last year for free music and podcasts not available here. I've since used it to redeem a few promo codes. And I used the account today to download Bobby Carrot using a promo code I was given. I saw this message too. I "agreed to the conditions" and effectively just ignored them. I continued on and downloaded Bobby Carrot anyway. I do know and I have heard from reliable people that Apple will and do close accounts if they are aware that you are using them from outside your region/country. In all of the cases I've heard about, the people effected were Australian users who had purchased iTunes gift cards for the US Store. And it turned out that those gift cards were purchased by the sellers of the gift cards with stolen or fake credit cards. Apple closed the US accounts and did not refund any money. They did not close the Australian accounts of those people. Just the US accounts for those people. Has this stopped me from using my US account to download free stuff from the US store? No. Has it stopped me from buying gift cards for the US store and purchasing content through the US store. Yes. I wouldn't take the risk that I would effectively lose my hard earned money.

4. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    As long as my UK account is safe then I'll continue to use my US account because I only use it for free stuff. Thanks guys.

5. I have a US account and a Japanese account. Just switch from them all the time. I don't buy anything with Japaese account but need it to download some apps that aren't available in other countries app store.