iPad Urban Tycoon going 3D this December

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchSoft, Oct 21, 2008.

1. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Urban Tycoon (App Store Link) - Will be going from a 2D isometric game to a full 3D game for the iPhone and Desktop this December. Not only will you build your city in 3D but you will also be able to walk your city streets in 3D. We have decided to use the Unity 3D game engine for Urban Tycoon and future game. Below are some building models that will be in the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

I have a few problems with this- I mean, it's great you're thinking big in terms of the future of Urban Tycoon, but it's complete bullshit how you released a game that's not even close to finished, and got everybody to buy it thinking it was something it wasn't (like a fun, challenging game). Obviously it's not. Maybe before you start working on a Desktop application, how about finishing Urban Tycoon is a way of polishing it, and making it easily twenty times better. v.1.1 really did nothing in terms of updates, except for descriptions. Still no car animations, people, etc.

Is it really that hard for a talented programmer like you?

Urban Tycoon all together had so much potential, and I think you released it too early and blew it's name- for a very long time, maybe even forever.

Big mistake, TouchSoft.

3. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    #3 TouchSoft, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    aww I'm sorry you feel that way... not only am I a first time cocoa/iphone programmer .. but it was my first time ever creating a game. (but thanks for considering me a talented programmer) :) I went from zero knowledge.. to a game in 1 month. So it's all about a learning process. I created the current Urban Tycoon by myself.. with no help.... and no previous knowledge of how to program for MacOSX platform.

Now that I've got a team that can work on multiple things at once... I'm pretty happy about Urban Tycoon and where it's headed. Sorry you can't share in my excitement ... but I can't make everyone happy, I can only try :)

PS. I didn't FORCE anyone to buy anything... I can't control what people spend their money on. But I do thank the people who did get the game.. and I'll be working hard to make this and future games even better :)

4. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I reckon you would have made many more people happy if you had delayed releasing an unfinished game until it was finished.

Rolando is a good case in point.

5. chrisjonny

chrisjonny Active Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Can't wait that looks awesome some great competition for Sim City.

6. Armbruster

I feel good for you that you've come so far, but I think you're thinking too far ahead about the desktop app. You should really make the AppStore app even better than SimCity, then focus on new ideas like that.

You didn't FORCE anybody, but you did give us all 'false' hope, it's basically a bare game, and a lot more details were given that don't quite exist in the game.

7. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    The 3D city looks great. I'll probably give it a shot! :)

8. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Trust me, I understand now... again.. this was a great learning experience for me.. I've been officially introduced to the world of commercial software. :D It's tough .. but I'm enjoying every minute.

I love to hear criticism just as much as complements.

9. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Hi Arm, Maybe you don't understand the Unity 3D game engine..... it's build once, run on multiple platforms.

So when I create the game for iPhone.. that same build (with a few tweaks) can run on the desktop. It's not like we are reinventing the wheel.

But I don't take your concerns lightly. I do appreciate your input and critiques .

10. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I will reserve judgement until if/when what is promised is delivered. ;)

11. Armbruster

Yeah, I own a Unity3D Indie Pro copy. I'm getting the iPhone Publishing soon, it hasn't been released yet, I don't think.

I understand that all, but I just don't feel it's quite important to do a desktop app after the iPhone one. Focus as much as you can on doing it for the iPhone/iPod touch and make it better. The Unity3D is going to make it cool, but it's going to lose the charm of good looking 2D art. The layout/artwork for v.1.1 has potential, and the frontend doesn't really need work. But the game needs meaning- it needs fun. It needs cars going everywhere depending on the population, people walking on the sidewalks, goals to meet, real-time crime, etc. I'd be glad to join your team to develop these, but it seems you're going in a different direction with the whole 3D thing. I can't see how you'll have cars and people going in 3D on the iPhone, I have a thought that it might look like a ghost town just like the current copy of Urban Tycoon.

Well, it is your game. Do what you wish.

12. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    It's being released tomorrow.

Thank you sir. :)

13. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    Question for TOuchSoft.
    I just bought the game last night. Is the 3-D game gonna be a free update or a seperate app?

14. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    You won't have to do anything but update for free. And new customers will still pay the $1.99. So free for you.

15. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    1) Fix iPhone version
    2) Expand

In that order :)

16. Armbruster

Fix iPhone version would take 100 fixes/additions, basically if it wants to compete against SimCity.

17. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well it should, shouldn't it?

18. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    Great! thanks for responding.

19. TouchSoft

TouchSoft Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Exactly .. that's why I'm starting from scratch with this 3D version. (we will still update the current Urban Tycoon) .. but our main focus over the next month will be to recreate this game from the ground up.

Yes, to compete with Sim City. I want my $1.99 game to give EA a run for it's money. Literally! :D And honestly right now, I can't do that with the current Urban Tycoon. It has to be bigger, better, faster, and quite frankly.. better game play.

The first step in creating a better game is knowing what's wrong with the current one.

20. rootbeersoup

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I'll be interested to see what you put out