Universal Urban Crime - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

I could swear i saw it say it depletes over time, anyway I played for like 20 mins and it was depleting kind of quickly after I did a few missions. That was just the tutorial mind you, so will every mission cost 1 energy or will harder longer missions cost say 4 or 5? I just dont understand all this stuff, people are begging Gameloft to release full games for $6.99 or whatever and they arent listening.

2. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    These Freemium games - Dungeon Hunter 3, Six Guns and Urban Crime - were no doubt developed at the same time. I doubt that they will move away from Freemium but it's possible that they will experiment with the way it's implemented in future games.

3. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Well I deleted this off all my devices, I mean it's the same friggin map as MV and I own that game so everything is unlocked as it should be. Theres no need to play this game and have to worry about unlocking crap with gems or levels if you have MV. No need to worry about energy or refilling your health, yes did you all know that say you get shot 5 times and you are sitting at half health it doesnt refill over time from what I saw. You have to pay to fill it, either in game currency or gems I cant remember. See that porsche over there guess what you need to be lv 29 to unlock it or buy it through IAP..... :mad: wow I'm irritated.....

4. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    As long as people spend money on IAPs in freemium games and they make money, I do not see why they would abandon the business model. They are a business and need to make money and if they do not make enough with premium games, be it because of pirates or low sales or even people whining day and night about any app costing over a buck or two, who can blame gameloft? It is the gamers fault they started going freemium, and as much as I don't like it, I would do the same in their position.

5. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Lol, exactly what I was going to say. Except this clone is much worse than its predecessor. The terrible 3D graphics already put me off, looks like a game made pre-2000.

6. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Well I know I did my part of buying most of there games at full price, several, several, several $6.99 games actually... I cant speak for others though :(

7. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    This game looks like the biggest pile of s**t ever! The premise alone is simply desperate

PASS!

8. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #68 dumaz1000, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Gameloft should be arrested for this. Same map as MV. As expected no character development, no recognizable characters, nobody has a name. Gangs are just called gangs. Thugs are referred to only as thugs. As derivative as possible. Zero story elements. The recharge mission bar, well that's fairly predictable, I suppose. Not all Gameloft Freemium games have utilized something similar. Here's the rub. You cannot ride in vehicles that have not been unlocked. All cars require a certain level achieved in order to unlock them. You cannot jack vehicles that havent been unlocked. That's just ridiculous.

Also, minimal improvement, at most, with the engine. Pop-in, draw distance, still pathetically inadequate. There's nothing HD about this of crap. The dump just called. Its garbage is missing. As pathetic as it is shameless. There's no joking about it anymore. Gameloft has become Lameloft. Much like Glu, a quick buck is all they are after. Nothing is worst then a so-called development company with zero artistic integrity. You're not supposed to get into an artistic enterprise solely to make money. That goes completely against the spirit of what art is supposed to be. What a bunch of sad, soulless, sellout hacks.

With that said, we as a gaming community brought this upon ourselves. We created this monster, or opened the door for it anyway. I still don't believe that justifies what Gameloft has done.

The real question is, did you buy Premium games at full price with regularity before Freemium ever emerged. If you did, then you did your part. To do it now means nothing. A day late, a penny short. All those people who hesitated to buy any game in the past for more then 0.99c led to this. It didn't happen overnight, but it was an inevitability. Not enough people bought high quality premium games like Dead Space for 9.99, or. 6.99. They all waited for a 0.99c sell instead. If you were one of those people, you're paying the piper for it now. I most certainly wasn't. For people who did pay, and were a fair share of them (just not nearly enough in the long run, obviously) we are the ones who are getting the short stick. We are the ones who would have paid 6.99 for a premium version of Dungeon Hunter 3. Sadly, that is something we are never going to see.

9. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Sad but true Dumaz i would kill for a $6.99 DH3 honestly, this game makes me sick to get nickel and dimed so bad. Gangstar Rio is way better.... I paid full price for it of course.

10. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    With all that said, it's still a great game for free. Keep in mind, people play games like those "click to play" games for quick entertainment and because there is always something to work toward, they will pay or play forever and never get bored. This is no different except that it is vastly improved on that model.

I'm not saying this, by any means, is a game I want. But the overreaction that stems from people looking for something to complain about is just ridiculous. Not to mention those constantly repeating themselves with "we brought this, no turning back" yet still complaining.

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I don't want to get into a big discussion about this, but I have a feeling that much of the complaining is due to this being Gameloft. Love them or hate them they are THE dominant player in iOS development. I get the impression that people feel that if Gameloft goes all the way down the freemium rabbit hole then others may do the same. The Cave announcement would seemingly support this thought.

12. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Played the game for about 20 minutes and deleted it. I can't stand Gameloft's attempts at a GTA clone. I bought Miami Vice and Rio when they came out and didn't make it through either of them. This one seems even worse to me, and it's not because of the IAP. At the beginning when you pick which of the two guys to help, I (unintentionally) ended up helping the obese white guy with the confederate flag on his shirt. Immediately after, when you're supposed to be getting a mission from the guy you just helped, I got one from the black guy.

I can't stand careless errors like that. They ruin the game.

Bring on the accusations of racism :cool:

13. callmericardo

callmericardo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
  14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Free-roaming, I believe. Lots of free CONTENT, I doubt it!

15. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #75 dumaz1000, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Oh, the irony of Gameloft cloning itself. The sweet, sweet irony.

Yeah, there's a ton of free content. But it's crappy, so who cares whether it's free? It's awful. It's liking saying you'd be willing to order a turd sandwich, so long as it was free.

In Gameloft's defense, Six-Guns and Dungeon Hunter 3 are not bad games, so long as you can get over the fact that there are no storytelling elements or, within the context of storytelling, no character development. But this here just just a bad game. In every imaginable context. It reeks of a half-assed money grab.

16. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

The game looks ho-hum. I only watched the vids and it just seems like a half-assed effort. Well it is one, right? They reused the map from another game (or so somebody claimed. I believe it). Looks like someone at GL was force-fed all the old Gangstar games and this is what they crapped out.

I have a few Gangstar games but I think GTA3 plays way better than all of them.

17. SuperSah

SuperSah Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    England, UK.
    Not evening giving Gameloft credit by even downloading. I know for a fact it'd be off my device in minutes.

Who the hell wants this garbage? Money milking mess. Shamefully, it works.

18. DarkPDA

DarkPDA Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    crap

almost is less IAP addict than Six Guns

but.....for what i will play urban crime if i have gangstar rio for play ?

six guns was the only western gta released and i cant play that thing...

19. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Gameloft ran out of games to copy, so they decided to copy their own games?!?!

20. CJH

CJH Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Game Impressions

Ok guys, so it's actually not that bad. You have to be a certain level to steal nicer cars, which you can "buy" your way around, but the freemium aspect is not nearly as offensive as some of the other offerings out there. The missions do get repetitive and there's not much of a story but it's a fun distraction. You'll be asked to do things like "drive around, steal this car, bring it back", "drive around, kill this guy, shake the cops" "drive around, beat this guy but don't kill him" or "race". There are some weird bugs, like when I got out of a car and instead of my feet firmly hitting the ground, I was transported 300 feet into the air where I promptly fell to my death. Another time I was tasked with killing an enemy, and upon arriving at his location, I was treated to the "mission accomplished" screen without so much as a gunshot fired. I've put around 8 hours into it and have had a reasonably good time.