Universal Urban Crime - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 11, 2012.

1. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #21 dumaz1000, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    It will not. I'm sure many people hoped and prayed that reality television was just a phase that would pass. It took me about 2 seconds to realize that reality television was the future and that it would never go away. Same deal with Freemium. While I fully admit that just about anything is possible, I seriously doubt that Gameloft will ever make another Premium game. They very easily could, but the real question is why would they?

As far as intelligent people giving one star reviews, you can easily shill and bribe your way to a 4+ star rating on any Freemium game. And, if you look, the vast majority of Freemium games average a 4-star rating.

On the positive note, there really is no reason to ever pay a dime for one of these games. In that sense, intelligent people win. Too bad there is no character development or storytelling elements and that drags the whole experience down. There is no broad point to these games. They have no ending. You're not progressing definitively towards anything, so what's even the point of playing?

2. swisssk8er1

swisssk8er1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 12, 2011
    I signed. I remember when gameloft still made great paid games. Good times.

3. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Absolutely unreal and ludicrous what they are doing. I think it'd be more ideal to stop acknowledging this company's existence and that includes no longer making threads about any of their new releases. I really hope NO ONE supports what they are doing and they go bankrupt because of it. This coming from someone who used to really enjoy the Gameloft clones

4. Exhumed91

Exhumed91 Active Member

Dec 6, 2011
    sizzla: Spiderman was good, I forgot about that one. I'd say 30% of their games are bad, 50% are mediocre, 20% are actually worth paying for. They're very good at making games that don't stand out in any meaningful way yet aren't terrible.

dumazz: Gameloft games had character development and story?

chris: I like that idea.

Seriously though, can someone explain to me why anyone would buy a single player clone of a console game like most Gameloft games are? Their multiplayer shooters are...well they're still awful, but they're also the best FPS games on iOS, I guess. So I'll probably give this one a try and then delete it.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I definitely signed the petition to stop these freemium games... http://act.ly/5e2 Nevermind if it won't work, at least we might get their attention(even though the poor reviews, twitter replies and facebook comments probably already did that).

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #26 GoofyJmaster., Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    LOLZ...I love it! TBH, GL only has a few quality games IMO and two of them they ruined with IAP.

I want to add (me from another thread):

I like the term Slacktivism! I will be using that more often. If you don't support devs and wait for sales then don't b*tch. If you perpetuate the freeemium model then don't b*tch.

I support devs through my site, my twitter, this forum, my wallet, and my time.

** One more: You bought one game for $5, 5 more from sales, and the rest are free so don't "complain"

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    They won't go bankrupt as they are a decision of Ubisoft. Ever wonder why they could publish Assasins Creed?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Because the better ones work very well as handheld titles, unlike games like LoZ:OT which, while classic, feel crammed into a device like the 3DS with nary a concession to the realities of handheld gaming.

It should be noted that the number of fully developed characters and decent stories in console gaming is vanishingly small. Anybody looking for profound cultural experience would do much better with reading, movies, or even network television.

9. SuperSah

SuperSah Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    England, UK.
    All this Shovelware Freemium crap is getting on my nerves now..

Have you seen this game? Disgusting graphics, awful character models and a downright unfair IAP system.. you got to pay or wait forever in order to jack a car? Isn't that why people play these games? To steal cars and joyride..

Gameloft, you've honestly lost my respect. You and your cash cows, feeding off the casual gamer and those who are oblivious to your stupid marketing strategy.

I will never play your games again.

10. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Meh...my point still stands and I will use the term slacktivism when I see fit. You can thank Hodapp for introducing me to this wonderful new word.

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    ?

You got to be kidding me? You see a cool car you want to jack and something pops up saying wait till this or pay this? I hope you are joking....

12. fumbles

fumbles Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Doesn't surprise me they made it like this. They destroyed Lets Golf 3 with the same pay-to-play crap. And took down the old games so you can't even buy those to play it as it should be.

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Wow what happened to this company...... they are acting like they werent making any money....

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #34 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    I hate FreemLoft...

15. megasiech

megasiech Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    poor ist not only this game from the new Zealand gameloft studio..

The Labour Department has finished its investigation into allegations of poor working conditions at Gameloft New Zealand:

"Last year, programmer Glenn Watson accused his former employer of being pressured into working 120-hour weeks and frequently being required to work weekends."

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/138412.20120110.Gameloft-NZ-cleared-of-over-working-allegations/

shame on you Gameloft -Gangsters!

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Unfortunately GL was cleared of that charge. 120-hour work week is not a breach of health and safety regulations? Then what is, 25-hour work days? :rolleyes:

17. seo25

seo25 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Nobody wins except for gameloft - gameloft has turned to freemium because they are consumed with greed. The games that have made the most money are free, and it's because your most likely to spend $10 on a free game than a game that costs $10.

Also the problem with freemium is that the experience of purchasing is different compared to a freemium and paid game. When when your buy things within the game, there isn't that much of a thought process toward it, often it's "I need it for this", whereas we look at a purchase on the app store as "is to worth it" or "do I need to purchase it". Because of the experience, we also have different ways of remembering it - with IAP you will forget quickly and get back into the heat of the battle - THIS is what's dangerous.

Cause with the lack of experience in purchasing things within the game we are compulsed to spend more than we should in the game. I know this cause my sister had spend hundreds of dollars trying to level up on other freemium games. Game loft only cares about money. As long as they make more money then non freemium games - they will not change back.

There is an easy way to beat the freemium system, and (hopefully if enough people follow it) remove freemium from game loft. The easiest thing to do it to spend as much as you would if it wasn't a freemium game - most of the games game loft have average around $8.99 - so if you spend that or less, they will not make more money then they would if it was a normal game. It can be difficult, but it's worth a shot.

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    i am so disappointed with Gameloft. back in the day i truly thought they were the best ios game dev out there. but i think all the success led them to be greedy and if they keep making money in freemium, it won't stop.

i think they won't charge the $8.99 or so because they know you can end up spending a lot more. one thing leads to another and people end up just throwing more money in. this is easily apparent in some other companies esp in the RPG genre.

19. Nicoipad

Nicoipad Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    After this what are the chances of a gangstar 4 would you say?

20. scorpionxd

scorpionxd Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Oh god.....they've already started to clone their own clones!