iPad Upsi Runner - Promo code contest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by shen, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hi;

My game Upsi Runner has been out on iTunes for about a week now.

There are a few gameplay and menu videos up on youtube.

I have been talking to people about what they like about the game and what they think needs improving (see thread here). I have implemented quite a few of their ideas for the next build already.

However, 1 of the most frequent criticisms is that the icon doesn't represent the game very well.

I've got a few more promo codes to give away for the current release, and someone suggested it would be interesting to see what the TouchArcade forum members could come up with in terms of icon design ideas.

So there it is - I'm looking for some ideas for icon designs for the game. Keep in mind that the icon needs to be 57x57 pixels, and also have an "identical" 512x512 pixel version, so the design has to work in large and small formats.

Entries should go in the thread (please no pms), and can either be a written description of an idea, or even better a picture or design. In a couple of hours I'll have a look at them all and hand out promo codes to my favorites, no matter if they are serious, awesome, funny or ridiculous.

Shen

2. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, i'm really crappy with Gimp, CS and stuff but beware my 1337 PAINT SKILLZORZ!

[​IMG]

Nah, but now to be serious. See how i picked up the colors of your snail and the whole atmosphere of the game? Just to show the struggle of a little snail with it's perilous surroundings. Sad, alone and rushed in a world of butterflies, representing everyday bonds through belle society. Yet showing that positive attitude towards life, coping with it's mischief. A masterpiece of post-dadaism.

3. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    What about a stylized snail spiral like this?

[​IMG]

4. Butters - I love the rounding you have done on the corners, are you sure you aren't a professional icon designer :D

MrHolder - Nice design, and it has a sort of New Zealand fern motif going on, which is cool.

Hopefully we can get a few more designs, to reall give you 2 a run for the money.

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I'll make some icons.. As seen in my wallpapers, I have pretty alrite photoshop skills and will make as many as it takes for a promo :D
    Only thing is I can't make them til tonight..

6. Paulio - go for it, we aren't going anywhere!

7. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    What about just using the snail from the game in it's current format as an icon?

Sure it doesn't look too good in 512x512 but it looks pretty good and slightly retro in 57x57:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This, of course, isn't original in anyway I just took the snail from the screenshot, but it's an idea.

8. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Here are my two entries, these would be more of a proof of concept, tell me if you like any of them and I'll try to make'em better

[​IMG]

This second one looks a lot better when it's 57 x 57

[​IMG]

9. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    #9 indyraider4, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    I LOVE IT! you are getting my vote! (mrholder)

10. Bhizzle

Bhizzle Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    omg the current icon is creepy

11. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    which ones are you talking about? mine or paulios?

any feedback aside from quality for mine?

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

I hope you can see it.:D Just imagine it...smaller.

13. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Lol, that made me laugh,:D

BTW I feel honored to be an awesome peep ;):D

14. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Awesome peeps are awesome. Anyways, I made that just to have someone laugh. Kind of silly but funny:p

15. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    How about the Game Over shell on the third screen shot? With the green on green background. Just an idea ;)-

16. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks! There are many good ideas in the thread.

17. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Is this contest still going? I can't tell if shen sent out the codes or not. He was back here a few hours ago but didn't mention anything. Maybe I'm just stupid.

18. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Could you extend the contest 2-4 more days? I wanna partake in the contest, but I have to download GIMP and get started on my first version of the icon (I improve it at least a couple times before submitting it). And most people can't get an icon done in one night. Besides, you'll generate much more attention if you let it go on a little longer. More people will participate, and there'll be more bystanders watching all the new submissions.

But yeah, basically, I need more time :p

19. FazzyReborn

FazzyReborn Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    If I were shen I'd extend it... He's getting attention.

20. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Developer/Student
    inside my iTouch
    #20 KindredSpirit, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Smile!

IDK, the teeth kinda creeped me out, so i erased them over and blurred it a bit, and i think it improves it alot. I really like the original, and i think that only minor improvements are needed. Here's my version next to the old:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: Oh, and the eyes could use a lift too. What about grey? * theyre disproportional because of placement, it would look weirder if one wasnt different - i think it makes it less creepy also, same easy to do thing.

[​IMG]

Edit again: oh, and brows could use a change of color! i used sepia to make em yellower, just for fun. but it looks kinda cool, probly not the right color, but i think its a good idea to change the color anyways.

[​IMG]

oooh, how about a little retro?

[​IMG]

BTW, i used pixelmator on a mac, so its not photoshop or anything, and you could do it yourself easily, just kind of an idea.

oh btw, what do you think about this? Gary! [​IMG]