Universal [Upcoming] NimbleNaut SHMUP (by MattCoding)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MattCoding, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattCoding

MattCoding Active Member

May 17, 2018
    WANTED astronauts with nimble fingers and fast reactions!

Very excited today to share my upcoming shmup game NimbleNaut.

Turns out it’s *very easy and ^very hard to make a shmup!

All feedback is very welcome (deep breath) ...

*very easy - Code wise, if it collides it explodes that’s it! No worrying about getting stuck in a wall or falling off the map or quests not updating. So after you’ve spent say 30 years trying to make games in everything from BBC BASIC to Amiga AMOS you can soon whip up a shmup in a few hours.

^very hard - Gameplay wise, is it too fast, too slow? Too easy, too dull? Trying to balance power ups so they aren't overpowered but still let you deal some damage. Letting the player try different tactics like using cover to hide or ramming an enemy with a power up. Adding slight random twists like enemies sometimes dropping homing missiles or a little burst of shots when they explode - sooooooooooooooo many things that go into the mix of good gameplay!

bungle_tez likes this.
  2. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
  3. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
  4. MattCoding

MattCoding Active Member

May 17, 2018
    I don't seem to be able to "Start a Conversation", guess your profiles are set to following only. Maybe you can message me if you would like a promo code to try NimbleNaut ahead of the release next Wednesday, 10th July.

5. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I sent you my email via conversation for the promo code. Thanks!!

6. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    So, played a first game and i think is well-made and playable. Two questions: 1) could be possible to have a continoous fire rate from the ship? 2) When you got destroyed you can continue from where you got hitten everytime you want? What’s the difference between continue or restart? Keep up the good work!!

7. My review+feedback
    + it is fun and a bit addictive. The more my ship burns, the more I want to continue. The control mechanic is excellent.
    + The boss is quite challenging. And the minions are irritating. At some points, they both seem OP and unbeatable. Dying too often makes it feel frustrating

8. MattCoding

MattCoding Active Member

May 17, 2018
    Thanks for playing, I did start with the player continuously firing but I think the broken rhythm gives a better feel - like you are delivering the shots to the target. Maybe a new power up - super charger with continuous fast shots for a short time?

Yes you do have unlimited continues, but they reset your score to 0. Reset button takes you back to first boss to start a totally fresh run.

9. MattCoding

MattCoding Active Member

May 17, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback, especially "The more my ship burns, the more I want to continue." that really made by day!

The minions do keep the pressure on, and add little random twists so hopefully replaying is still challenging. For now maybe try getting the defensive power ups (blue or white or both!) and once the little space lobster shows up, don't kill him, instead use him as cover!

You can also turn the difficulty down in Settings, enemies will have half health, but you will get less score and stars...

10. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!! The idea for a power up is very good indeed!

11. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I’m too lazy to read what people have said up there.
    Here’s some thoughts.
    1. The game needs ship upgrades. Maybe even different ships with different weapons or just one ship but with the ability to change the weapon.
    2. Power-ups. And “power-downs”. To make our lives even more frustrating.
    3. Some missions, ease (or not). Would be fun.

I like the graphic style, the controls are fine. And I agree with “the more my ship burns, the more I want to continue”. But some progression is needed, some mission, like saving your cat from these aliens.

Works good on my iPhone 7 Plus, latest iOS.