iPhone Untitled Platform Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by VgSlag, Aug 28, 2012.

?

Would you rather pay for an app or have a 1 off In App Purchase to unlock?

1. Buy it outright

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. In App Purchase

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    This is the beginnings of the single player mode.
    I have made multiple speed improvements and can have around 50 enemies animating on screen at once although I doubt I'll have that many.

It will be infinite coin collection with unlocks of levels the more coins you collect.

2. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    This looks really cool. I love the pixel art.

3. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks, I have a design job currently with the artist to design 4 monster types. Currently I'm using the multiplayer character but they are all too similar. I'll post the designs when I have them which I think will be in a couple of days.

4. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire

Still no new enemy designs but the single player element of the game is much more fleshed out now.

We also have menu and in game music and the menu system is dynamic based on what input methods are detected.

5. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
  6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Liking what I'm seeing so far, and looking forward to playing this when you get it finished. :)

7. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks AnarKitty, I should be able to post images of the enemies soon.

I took this screen shot for #ScreenShotSaturday on Twitter but I thought I'd post it here too.

It's the editor I use to build levels. It was created in Flash and is a drag and drop interface. If you press the space key it will duplicate the last tile you used.

When you press build in generates 2 NSArrays. 1 array has the tile type: empty, solid or cloud type and the other array has the tile image that should be used.

Whilst the editor spits out an NSArray I'm actually using C arrays in the app for speed, I just haven't got round to updating the editor yet.

[​IMG]

8. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #28 VgSlag, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    So I have the enemy images now. Here is the walking animation for all 4 of them and what they do. A video will follow in a little while:

[​IMG]
    The Rabid Boar - This ferocious animal is blind with fury. He'll charge until he hits something, then turn around and charge again.

[​IMG]
    Aztec Mummy - After years of lying dormant the mummy has returned. He likes to stretch his legs and when he lands he has a 50/50 chance of changing direction.

[​IMG]
    Nagual - An Aztec God that can take the form of any animal. He's taken the form of a jaguar here and has a 50/50 chance of leaping high into the air when he reaches a platform edge.

[​IMG]
    Quetzalcoatl - The God of death and resurrection. With his unpredictable jumps and turns he's sure to catch you out.

9. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #29 VgSlag, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    NOTE: This video was captured via Quicktime screen recording via AirPlay to my computer, hence the low frame rate. The game runs at nearly 60 fps on iPad 2 and 3.

Here is the video showing the 4 enemy types in action. I have hardcoded the enemies in this level for demo purposes only. Normally a different formation of enemies will appear:

10. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    I have now added leader boards for the single player. The next build will re-jig the scoring system. Rather than counting coins it will award 100 points for collecting a coin and 30 points for jumping on an enemy.

Doomfan suggested these changes and I think they're great.

I now need more testers. I'd like to invite 10 new testers. If you would like to beta test then PM your email address. The beta invites will go out via TestFlight.

Testers must have an iPad 2 or 3. Ideally you will have another iOS device to use the Joypad iOS app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/joypad-game-controller/id517378526?mt=8) but this is not a requirement.

iCade, iOS Game Dock or HDMI adaptor are a plus.

Please say what devices you have in your PM.

11. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
  12. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    The Joypad iOS app guys have let me use their new API which is much better and much faster. It connects and disconnects almost instantly and can be skinned.

Now when you use your iPhone or iPad as a controller You will see:

[​IMG]

13. atum_ramirez

atum_ramirez Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    game designer
    Looks really old school and cool. If you are selling to a niche audience that only has ipad and 3rd party controller, I would go for upfront pay instead of IAP. But that's just me.

Seems like clean simple arcade-nostalgic fun. Keep it up.

14. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #34 VgSlag, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  15. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    What do we have here?

[​IMG]

Yep! It's in there and it's been tested. Aztec Antics is fully working with Game Dock!

I am in the final polishing stages of the app development process now and the end is in sight!

I'll post the app trailer here in the next couple of days.

16. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    The finish line is drawing ever closer. There is only one multiplayer level to create then I will be submitting the game and working on promotional materials.

The trailer has already started being worked on and, in the spirit of Screenshot Saturday, here is a screen grab from it.

[​IMG]

17. kin

kin Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    I think the game could benefit from enemies that chase the player closest to them (you can run past your friends to make them the new target), and that'll ramp up player interaction quite a bit.

You could also have enemies like the Ghosts in Mario (which does fit the Mayan/Indiana Jones theme) that can float and go pass platforms too.

18. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    #38 VgSlag, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Both of those are really good ideas.

The first one is actually quite a lot of work as it will require a path finding algorithm that takes in to consideration the jumping between platforms to find the route to the player.

The ghost one is more than feasible and would really keep the player on the move. I'll keep it in mind for an update.

Also, Aztec Antics was submitted to the App Store yesterday evening. I will be working on promotional materials whilst the app is in review and create a new thread in the iPad Games forums just before release. When I do that I'll add a link to the new thread from this one.

19. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
  20. VgSlag

VgSlag Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    iOS Engineer
    Hertfordshire
    Whilst the 1.0 is in review with Apple I have been making some adjustments to the game. There are now 2 modes of multiplayer. The original mode is still in but you can now play multiplayer on the single player levels with enemies included.

The game will end at 1500 points or after 25 coins, whichever comes first. I added the coin limit as if you get hit by an enemy you lose 30 points. The coin limit will stop the game dragging on for too long.