UNIWAR Feature Requests

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by beeonrope, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Another major issue is the general lag of the gameplay. When it is the enemy's turn, the game lags tons; it will freeze every other second when the enemy unit moves.

2. MrMiller

MrMiller Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    oh come on,

"takes 10 minutes and 1 second to do their turn, especially if it is a really intense battle!"

ive never taken more than I'd say 1 minute on any turn even on the biggest maps like naval battle or w.e its called, most turns take closer to 20 seconds I'd say

IMO bring in 1 minute turns or 2 minutes or something, and also make 10 minutes the default, not 3 days, because it seems like most people make 3 day turn limits unknowingly

3. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Is there some way you could keep the unit animations going when the CPU is taking its turn? The lagginess is really frustrating but I don't think it would be such a problem if it didn't feel like the game had hung. I don't mind waiting for moves but when everything freezes it gets annoying. And, yeah, having said I don't mind waiting, some of the waits on later levels have been stupid long... As in, go and find something else to do long. Totally understandable with turn-based online games, but against CPU? Not really.

Also had some frustrating moves where the confirm box blocked the hex I needed, regardless of orientation...

4. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

The lag issue seems to be getting worse as the levels progress. I'm near the end of campaign mode and the CPU is taking like... TWO MINUTES to make their move EVERY turn. The lag is horrendous as the the amount of time frozen is greater than the amount of time the units are animated during the enemy's turn. I'll post a video some time if the developers are not sure what I mean, and what the above poster means. Seriously this is not like chess AI that require heavy calculations! Why does it take so long... but still please take care of the lag issue, this is really killing the enjoyability of the game. Other than these two issues and the fact it does not have a traveling animation or battle animations, I think this game is perfect.

5. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I like having the animation of your guy actually moving, like in advance wars. Uniwar could use that

6. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I would like to see transport units. This would open up a new layer of battles where you could have an island hopping campaign...

7. beeonrope

beeonrope Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Please posts these issues in the "UNIWAR Bugs" thread.

That said, how is this not like Chess AI that requires heavy calculations? In fact, I'd propose that it is exactly what it is like. Building a decent AI will require looking deeply into many possible moves, and on the later maps with many units and hexes, this will be lengthy. The tradeoff would be a stupider AI.

8. beeonrope

beeonrope Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    One issue is that in a 4+ player game, it is highly probable that at least one player gets kicked (because there is a greater chance of someone being slow, and there are more possible kickers as well - it only takes one).

Unfortunately, when a player is kicked, it often totally imbalances the game since one player may now easily scoop up the undefended bases (because of his placement next to the kicked player). This increases the odds that players will game the system by kicking players who started next to them.

What I'd like to see is the replacement of kicked players with Bot players - this would go a long way to making a 4+ player game feasible. At is it, I haven't succeeding playing past the 3rd round in even one!

9. UniWarOfficialDeveloper

UniWarOfficialDeveloper Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Interesting idea. We will look into it.

We hope with our website players will be able to communicate to each other and set up large games that will play through to the end. It would be interesting to hear "war stories" from players that were involved in a 4-8 player game or in a team match.

Those comments should be posted in the "Uniwar is OUT" thread.

10. lowtek

lowtek Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    There is a simple feature I would like added :

If a players time limit runs out, their turn is skipped, and switched to the other player. If the time limit runs out again, it switches back, and so forth until a predetermined number of swaps is reached, at which point the match is declared a draw automatically.

The Kick option could be left there as well, so that when a turn is missed, the other player can either use his new turn, or choose to Kick.

11. lowtek

lowtek Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Additionally, if it is possible, some new units for the existing races, and maybe a new race or two as well! I know I'm not really asking for much here ;)

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

just more single player games would make me happy
    or a random skirmish mode

13. beeonrope

beeonrope Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I was just going to add:

I would like an game option that makes "skipping a turn" the default action for running out of your time limit (it could occur even without action by the other player), and kicking only become an option if the player is inactive for 3 days.

As it is, often players will *force* you to kick them - for example, they will start a 10 minute match, then disappear after 5 rounds. You wait an hour, nothing. At this point, you pretty much have to kick them, since otherwise if you go to sleep, then can return, play a turn, wait 10 minutes then kick you. So to protect your rating, you are forced to kick players (even though I would prefer to play out the match).

Another option would be to have the AI play your turn (rather than just skipping it) - although in games between low-level players this could actually be an advantage (if the AI is better than you are).

14. friendlytoaster

friendlytoaster Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Programmer
    Chicago
    I second this, also I would like to see a few other features from advance wars:

-There should be a benefit to attacking first. I seem to end up even too often.

-Visibility should be decreased in trees/mountains. It is pretty hard to actually hide units.

15. Jelaludo

Jelaludo Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Maps :
    - In "Play Vs" mode I can't use all the 2 players maps ("Clash" for example)

- "Setup New Game" : there are 53 maps to scroll through... There could be an option to browse according to the number of players 2,3,4,5,6,8

- when joining a game, a thumbnail of the map would be useful

Balance issue :
    Map "Green Isle".
    Is it me or it's unfair that blue can use his initial 2 units to gang up on one of red's units on round 1 ?

after that Red starts with one 10hp unit
    and blue has 2 (albeit slightly damaged) units left.

perhaps they compensate by giving red extra money?
    not sure how that works

16. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    1. Music - The only music in the game is in the menus. Music during the gameplay would be great as well (particularly as a distraction when waiting for players to make their moves).

2. Sound effects - The quality of the sound effects is fine, but they are far too sparse. Please add in more (e.g., sound effects for movement, etc.).

3. Hex grid - Allow it as an option to be toggled on/off or only have it pop up when moving units.

4. Online chat - Allow chat to occur in the little blue box rather than pulling you out of the game to that white screen. Also, now there seems to be a bug that prevents you from scrolling to see the latest posts. Finally, it seems that when you close the app, you lose the string of posts in a chat. It'd be nice if it was permanent/persistent regardless of whether or not you close the app.

5. Team Chat - Please, please, please, PLEASE add a team chat feature. Planning strategies teammates is nearly impossible when everyone can view the messages. A way to toggle team chat and global chat would just be awesome.

6. AI difficulty - Add in difficulty levels for the AI, for both online (but don't allow ranking with easy difficulties) and offline games.

7. More players in offline modes - Being able to have more than 2 players in both hotseat multiplayer and skirmish mode (against bots) would be great.

8. Hotseat online - Allow a combination of hotseat and online play. For example, 2 human players share one iPhone/Touch against 2 other human players who share an iPhone/Touch.

And of course, these longshot features would be nice too (but not at all necessary):

1. Map editor - Any plans for a map editor and ability to share maps? That would just be the tops.

2. More units - More units would be a welcome addition sometime down the road, but the current lineup of units is sufficient for the time being. Transport units would be awesome (naval, air, and land)!

3. More special abilities - More special abilities would be useful too, particularly so that each race has at least one special ability for use against each of the other races.

17. Synozeer

Synozeer Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    When browsing and joining online games, you shouldn't be able to see what faction your opponent picked. That gives you (the joiner, not the game starter) an advantage, as you can always pick the faction that has an advantage over the one they are playing. The opponent's faction should remain hidden/unknown until you start the game.

18. beeonrope

beeonrope Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I would like the ability to see the list of friends or available players when creating a new game, rather than being required to type in a textual name.

19. beeonrope

beeonrope Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Yeah, in a related request - the starting positions should be randomized - people can pick their colors, sure - but the starter shouldn't always be the first to move, etc - this leads to unbalanced matches, especially on small maps.

20. _jnc_

_jnc_ Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Basel, Switzerland
    Definitely needed (no new thoughts though):
    - Background music, preferrably your own
    - Map editor
    - Map preview for online games
    - Transport units are a great idea! Any other unit addition would be difficult as it is hard to keep the balance, which at this time I think is quite well.
    - I also agree that it is hard to hide units, maybe a shorter range of view for all units would be good as on small maps you always see all of it. Being hit by units you can't see is hard to take but part of the fun!

Personally I don't feel the need for elaborated battle animations. I remember the game "Battle Isle" and I also remember that the animations annoyed me after very short time. I prefer to stay on the standard map, but that's just me.

Looking forward to the update!