iPhone ***Unique RPG-Style Card Game on ipad - Heroes Blade***

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by cro, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    #1 cro, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    12/13/2010 - Heroes Blade 1.05 for ipad just got approved and has these AWESOME improvements:

- Newly Improved Deck Editor
    - Minion Placement AND Spell/Minion Ability Targeting Indicator

The game is fully functional and is definitely a 5 star app. There are no known bugs in the latest version 1.02... o_O) Anyway, you can see a game play video at www.heroesblade.com/video and find a link 2 the game from there also.

Give the game a try and tell us what you think! Would love 2 see everyones thoughts and comments.

woot woot!!! :D :D :D

Attached Files:

2. Deadza

Deadza Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Just got it today and it stole me away from Fallout: New Vegas for over an hour. That is pretty high praise I think! I really enjoy the mix of Rpg and CCG, though I have a few issues.

1. What's up with some of the unit upgrades being worse? Taking that chained skeleton from rank 1 to rank 2 is a terrible idea for example. Even if rank 3 is fantastic I doubt the cost in gold is justifiable.

2. The AI is very dumb. Constantly uses healing spells on full HP units and never uses innate spells a unit has. At least not that I've seen.

Great game overall though and I look forward to playing this for a looooong time. So much replay value!

3. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Hey Deadza thanks for the comment. :)
    1 - they weren't originally "worse" they were supposed to have other abilities that caused crashing in the beta version and just haven't been given new abilties yet. :) that will be soon after we see what needs to be balanced. BUT it will be fixed.
    2 - yes it is. that's why it has waaaaay more HP than u. lol. sometimes it will do something mildly intelligent, but mostly its a brain-dead octapuss that points to a random # and then *BAM*... it heals your dying Minion much to your confusion... were workin' on that 2. lol

4. Deadza

Deadza Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Traits are bugged somehow. Critical and Spiked shield don't give an increased chance of working when you buy up a rank, or at least the store doesn't show it. Also after buying spiked shield I was unable to play mana until I exited out of the game.

Plus is it intended or an exploit to have more than three of a given unit? I assume exploit since the store limits you to three when buying spells. For example if I have three first rank zombies and three second rank zombies I can still upgrade the first rank zombies. That gives six separate instances of the second rank of the same unit in my deck.

Still having a great time playing though.

5. Psykikgmr

Psykikgmr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Touch Arcade is the best forum for iOS due to the amount of developers who come here and equally so, the amount of feedback users give to the developers. That being said, developers don't need to come here and make secondary accounts, pretend to be someone else to boast their own game - it doesn't give the developer a good image.

If you want to promote your game, these forums are the best, but do so in respectful way. Let the users give feedback (you don't need to make secondary accounts), and better yet give promo codes and have TA users post honest reviews on iTunes and give good feedback here to rightfully promote and better the game.

Anyways, I'm personally not too sold on this game yet. I've bought too many iPad games in the last month. Gotta hold back a bit.

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Let's. The dev will give at one point some promo code and we will get some more views on this game.

7. DDexter

DDexter Active Member

Sep 15, 2010
    is there a multiplayer?

Gaming with other human players will be more fun than battling against a computer =/

8. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    I am a developer for this game. This is my only account and this post is actually a repost of sorts to let people know that the game has been updated to version 1.02 and because we had a few freezing bugs in the last version. :) I wasn't being deceptive or trying to hide who I am or anything like that, Psy. I'm sorry if you feel that I am, I didn't mean to come across like that at all.

I'm gonna try to get some promo codes out on here to you guys soon, but I have to make sure we have enough left after we hit up game review sites. Keep checking the forum for them. ;)

cro

9. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    And DDexter - there is currently a multiplayer built into the game, but its not online just yet. You can build up to 3 separate decks on a single ipad and you can play against a friend via taking turns. We are waiting for more users before we add an online multiplayer. There just simply aren't enough players on the game to do it just yet. ;)

10. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    There is already a thread for this game, why start another. At least in the first one there are detailed reviews that discuss the warts and all.

I did attempt to find it, but came up empty.

Decent game, but it is still buggy.

Munkie!

11. Deadza

Deadza Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I'm new to touch Arcade and just saw the thread for the game. So I posted. I also don't see how Cro was being deceptive, at all. It was pretty obvious. The forums already have modirators why not let them do their job instead of taking "vigilante" justice heh?

That said. I have a question about the games mechanics, specifically defense. When I first started playing I assumed it was like Magic where a units defense always stopped an equal portion of opposing damage. That is, however, not the case. It seems there is an unexplained random element in the Attack/Defense relationship to see how much damage a unit actually takes during combat.

I'm not sure I like that 100%, since it makes building a comeback strategy entirely hit or miss. Actually I'm slightly opposed to all the random traits as well, but that's me. My greatest problem is it greatly devalues anything that gives a bonus to Defense compared to Attack. Also it makes any unit with a high defense trait as opposed to attack less useful, because, you can always count on the Attack trait.

Still, great game and looking forward to seeing how it grows.

12. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    hey Munkie, the bugs were fixed in version 1.02. (unless you have found something that we didn't in the last version??) that's why i reposted this.

13. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Hey Deadza, the stats are basically saying that each Minion can do a Max of X damage and Absorb a Max of Y damage before their Lifeforce is reduced. the Minions in the game are all equally able to kill each other, but the chances of a weaker minion killing a stronger one is much smaller than the opposite.

So potentially a 1/1 hobbit could actually damage a 10/10 dragon, but the odds of that happening are very small. We did this to give the game an element of the unexpected or heroism. :) This game is more about tactics than brute force. You play more percentages and tactical spells than anything else.

Hope that makes sense.

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I need more opinions before I spends 3 bucks on this. Hopefully there will be more volunteers :D

15. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    I was not accusing anyone of deceptive practices, I am bringing this to the attention of all that might read this, that there are full reviews of this game in a prior thread.

I am still getting lock-ups in the third level battles, I will give it a shot tonight so I can illuminate with some detail.

Munkie!

(not the vigilante, that would be my evil twin)

16. cro

cro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Munkie, have you already downloaded the newest version of the game? its version 1.02, if you have already got it and are still having lock-ups or any other issues PLEASE contact me and we'll get right on fixing them! Thanks. :D

17. Deadza

Deadza Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    #17 Deadza, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    Well I may have turned a bit of a 180 in my opinion of the game. The more I play the less actual strategy there seems to be. Go for high damage units, summon them first, win. Once one player has established a hold on the play field there is literally no comeback strategy.

Defense is a worthless stat to invest in and wastes precious gold on a terrible new unit. Found this out by making three rank three goblins, who despite having much higher defense die just as easy as rank one! Too much random chance tends to ruin solid turn based strategy games, it's why Poxnora took out random to hit rolls for example. With a few tweaks the game could be amazing but as is it's far too random and needs some serious balance work now that I've delved deeper and the honeymoon phase has passed.

I love where it's going but I can honestly say I don't know if I enjoy where it's at right now.

PS please fix the Trait bug, ruined a whole save investing in ranks I wasn't actually getting.

Also found a bug on the swamp troll, it's only supposed to return a minion of casting cost one or less but it also is returning spells as of right now. Despite my problems I obviously can't quit playing...

18. Deadza

Deadza Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    New bug problem, started using white and now I notice the rank 1 angel's innate spell to destroy black minions won't cast. Between the bugs, lack of balance, and random nature of the game it's getting frustrating. But, I still can't stop playing.

19. DDexter

DDexter Active Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Thx for your reply.

Trying it out if it´s fun.

Thank you

20. empyrium

empyrium New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Has the developer done any testing on 4.2 GM? It's unplayable it crashes no matter what you do. Have tried reinstall/remove etc... it used to play fine before the upgrade