Unique iPhone Games!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by istopmotion, Dec 25, 2008.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Some people seem to like Passage. I thought it a nice concept, somewhat well executed (as it did what it set out to do), but it wasn't awe inspiring or life changing or anything of that sort.

However, not one damned person liked Urban Tycoon on iPhone/Touch. Not a damned one. And even if you find that one person who likes it, they probably won't defend why they like it, just as those into self mutilation or fecalphiliacs don't really defend their actions.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    hehe.. well said ;)

3. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    BTW, I second the uniqueness of Soul Trapper. While audio adventure games aren't new by any means, this is the first one I've played that actually uses sound as the core part of gameplay rather than just making choices.

Oh, and Trace. And Jelly Car. Both fantastic little games that really put the iGame to good use (I'm gonna use iGame...iDevices ties in the other "classic" iPods, which, to me, aren't really game devices of the level of iTouch/Phone).

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, I sort of changed my mind yesterday when I saw the video for the game. The game isn't about the graphics, it's about the meaning of the game. It's a game that gives a pretty accurate, small description of what life is like. There are tasks and challenges you have to go through and they are hard/easy depending on what you choose to do with your life. I think the game is more meaningful than most games (obviously), even with graphics on the low quality side.

I forgot about this one! There's a thread with someone showing how to play it. I'll find the link, lol.

5. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    well I think of all of ngmoco's apps are unique. They are not like anything you'll find in the appstore.

6. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Yeah I think boom brigade is a brilliant take on the line drawing, tower defense and top-down shooter genres put together which makes it a truly unique game.

Also I was going to make a thread on this topic but I found this one so can people tell me some more recent unique games since this is an old thread?

7. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I've heard that Hi, How are you? is a weird and unique game... #48 right now on the app store, $0.99, and with 4 to 5 star ratings throughout. And an awesome sound track

8. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I cant' believe no one's mentioned Sway (sorry no link) the amazing controls would be hard to put elsewhere and its an awesome game.

You cited 7 cities but I'm gonna go ahead and put geoDefense under that category too. Although a regular TD game at its core, its unique puzzle-like elements and graphics definitely makes this a unique one.

iSamurai is another one that offers great gameplay in a unique control scheme.

Spider:The Secret of Bryce Manor is another great game that would be hard on any other platform

Four games: Say, geoDefense, iSamuai, Spder: The secret of Bryce Manor.

good day sir....i said good day!

9. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Or Slay, for that matter. Graphics are sub-par, but the turn-based positional combat gameplay is fantastic, and it comes with more levels than you can shake a stick at.

10. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Copy Cat: A Painter's Puzzle is unique. You have to mix colors and play around with shapes to make an exact copy of a given example.

Copy Cat: A Painter's Puzzle

ITUNES BUG UPDATE 1/4/10:
    Sorry about the unavailability bug! Now fixed - you can once again buy the game!

$0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ITUNES BUG UPDATE 1/4/10:
    Sorry about the unavailability bug! Now fixed - you can once again buy the game!

Happy New Year everyone!

------------------------------------------
    COPY CAT IS THE WINNER OF:
    Jay is Games Best 7th Best Puzzle Game of 2009
    Kongregate Monthly Contest - 5th Place (Nov. 2009)
    Kongregate Weekly Contest - 2nd Place (Week of Nov. 24th, 2009)

“It's a rare game that combines brains and beauty in such a unique and accessible way…one of the most enjoyable puzzlers around…I recommend Copy Cat whole-heartedly”
    - Psychotronic, Jay is Games

WHAT CRITICS ARE SAYING

“Copy Cat is thought-provoking and compelling”
    – Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

“I strongly recommend this addictive game to all puzzle lovers – get your brain around colors!”
    –Den, iPhone Application List

“it deserves some love.”
    –Fingergaming.com

“Solving puzzles in Copy Cat delivers that wonderful "a-ha!" feeling that sits so well in a gamer’s soul.”
    -Jim Squires, Gamezebo

“Copy Cat is reminiscent of the classic Factory Balls and just as addictive.”
    -Jack Shepherd, BuzzFeed

“One of those rare gems…”
    –Meghan Sullivan, SF Examiner

WHAT PLAYERS ARE SAYING

“Copy Cat: A Painter's Puzzle is unique”
    – Ravenblack, TouchArcade Forum

“Must. Stop. Playing. But. Can't.”
    -Claudgrrl via Twitter

“For puzzling, general design, execution and originality – it is a 5 star”
    -Pluto6 via iTunes Store

“This is exactly the sort of visual puzzle that there aren't enough of.”
    -Xixen via Jay is Games

WHAT IS COPY CAT?

Art meets Factory Balls in this unique, addictive puzzler!

Copy Cat challenges you to duplicate 35 colorful abstract paintings using a series of stencils and mixing paints. The levels are not timed, but you have to reach a minimum degree of accuracy to move to the next level.

Copy Cat gives you an ultimate goal – and any number of ways to get there!

You won't be able to put it down until you beat all 35 addicting levels!

COPY CAT FEATURES

• Easy-to-understand but addicting concept, with an
    easy in-game tutorial!

• Intuitive touch-screen interface!

• 35 addicting levels! All the levels of the Flash version,
    plus 5 extra levels exclusive to the iPhone/iPod Touch!

• 10+ stencil shapes to paint with!

• Use paints in all the primary colors, plus white!

• Addictive gameplay!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Family, Puzzle
    Release:Aug 28, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

11. Broski

Broski Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Squareball. Try to find something like that

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    No one's mentioned Eliss? One of the most unusal I've ever seen. best also

13. erichen

erichen Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Oh... i am very surprised that no one mentioned this game...Em..em..may be nowadays board game is out of time :( BUT, if you like board game, this is definitely a unique one among all board category. Besides it can remind you of your childhood, its chess can really MOVE on the board!!! The animation attract me so much...very polish! Also, it is very challenging and a good time-killing game.

I highly recommend it!

Animal Kingdom

Version 2.0 with new iPad's Retina display support and Game Center based multiplayer mode!

=================
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Version 2.0 with new iPad's Retina display support and Game Center based multiplayer mode!

=================
    New Features in 2.0
    =================

The new version includes high resolution images for the new iPad. Animal Kingdom now looks absolutely stunning on the new iPad.

Also, we've added support for multiplayer mode via Game Center (iOS 5 only), which means you can play Animal Kingdom online with your friends or anyone through auto-match making. And you don't have to be online all the time. You will receive push notification if it's your turn. It's that easy.

=================
    Description for version 1.6
    =================

Native iPad support!

Along with the Retina Display support we put in last time, we are brining native iPad support to all customers! If you already brought this app, simply update and sync it to your iPad to enjoy the big screen!

Reviews
    "What We're Playing"
    Apple

"This is an excellent game. Crisp graphics and clean animations match game play that's easy to learn but hard to master."
    - Morenar

"It's hard at first, but it becomes interesting and amazing after you understand the way. Totally worth it!"
    - Racolas

Screen Capture
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpcKY9Tirn4
    http://www.apptheater.com/video/1062/Animal-Kingdom

Features
    - Unique piece animations! You can see pieces really moving on the board!.
    - Challenging AI (Full version only). Also easier level for beginners (Default on Lite).
    - Undo/Redo support (Full version only).
    - Save the progress when quitting (Full version only).
    - Play with another player (Full version only).
    - Friendly user interface. You can make a move by simply drag-n-drop, view ranks of pieces at all time, and more.
    - Detailed help view with beautiful-designed images to demonstrate the rules.

Description
    Animal Kingdom is an easy-to-learn, easy-to-play board game with beautiful graphics and animations. It's based on a traditional Chinese board game, Dou Shou Qi (斗兽棋). We didn't change the rules, but completely re-designed the look of the game! It is joyful by simply watching how pieces move around on the board.

It is a challenging game too, and you should feel proud if you can defeat our hard-level AI (we have never done that). Animal Kingdom is perfect for charging your brain in 5 minutes everyday, and you can resume the joy whenever you want.

We don’t play Chess, Go or other brain-consuming board games, but we do enjoy playing Animal Kingdom whenever we got 5 minuets. If you are like us, Animal Kingdom is the one for you.

Lite Version
    Lite Version is available now! Try it for free!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Board, Strategy
    Release:Aug 22, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (2)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    All of Gameloft's games are unique.

15. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Ecept real football, brain challenge, Ferrari gt, lets golf, real tennis, asphalt 4, midnight pool, midnight bowling, chess classics, platinum solitaire and block breaker deluxe, yes I guess you could say that.

16. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    k idk if u were makin a joke with that comment..but if u were.. LOL! good one :D

17. Johannvonstranovic

Johannvonstranovic Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I can't pass up the chance to shamelessly mention my own app name. It just went live today, so I didn't mention it earlier. Our intent was to create an original game that could only exist on the idevices.

djflippy has provided a good review over here if you are interested.

18. Johannvonstranovic

Johannvonstranovic Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My favorites of the ones listed here.
    Eliss, Platypus, Sway and Touchgrind (Illusion Labs is amazing), Trace, and Spider.

19. pavelegorkin

pavelegorkin Member

Sep 29, 2009
    For me, unique game is Defender Chronicles - its best tower defence ever, why?

- replayability
    - regulary updates
    - nice graphic
    - rpg elements
    - cool conception

20. dyepbr

dyepbr Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Boom Brigade for me.

It is like a mobile tower defense game. Your "towers" are actually soldiers, you and move them strategically, via line drawing (like flight control), to protect the base. There's different types of soldiers, and their upgrades. Its a steal for 99c.