iPad Undercroft (by Jagex Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jagex, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah jagex said they are keeping free and no dlc/ Iap either

2. cripps

cripps New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Sweet! Just told my mate who bought it before that its now free, proper gutted. :)

PLEASE JAGEX MORE CHAPTERS!!

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Definitely wanting more! Thanks for making it free even though I have paid for this after playing the lite version!

4. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    last week i was itching to buy the Quest, and now i got undercroft for FREE and it is so fun!

thx for saving my money!

5. klako

klako Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I paid full price for this before, i will definitely pay for the sequel. Please make one.

This is a great game that should have gotten more attention. Too bad the original developer already gave up on it.

6. joaovc

joaovc Member

Oct 9, 2009
    researcher
    Lisbon
    Superb game. +1 for a sequel

7. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    My first gaming session lasted for 45 Minutes, which should say a lot about the quality of this game. Just about to leave the town now. :)

8. FraggleJP

FraggleJP Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    It's incredible that this is free, it's perhaps my favourite iphone game!

I've played this game loads, and I just wanted to add suggestions for any potential updates:)

I tried going to undercroft.com but its down due to traffic I think.

Firstly, its too easy to abuse potions in this game. you can drink as many potions as you want in 1 round, meaning that if you have cash, you can have infinite health/mana. Sure, its easy to not abuse this but what can I say, Im weak :p

Some of the skills need balancing (purely my opinion I suppose). The warriors totem of pain thingy just seems too powerful, and the priest archangel seems too mana expensive and/or weak. But like I say, perhaps just my opinion.

Oh yeah, and also health drain items such as the bat shield thingy, feel too powerful. Give it to a high damage char and they become almost immortal.

Don't get me wrong though, this is a fantastic game, and its because I like it so much that I really want to see updates!:)

9. Owen22

Owen22 New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    #49 Owen22, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    Stuck in tombs

Hi guys,

Loving this game but I seem to be stuck in the 'Ancient Tomb' (trying to rescue some dude's brother).

I've defeated every monster in the tombs and recovered the bone-key but cannot find the brother...

I'm guessing (and the in-game 'help' section suggests) he is located in the top right hand portion of the map:

[​IMG]

... but I just can't get to it.

The map seems to suggest that I can use the portal at 11,11 (the spot with what looks like rain-drops) to get there:

[​IMG]

But when I walk into this spot is teleports me here:

[​IMG]

I press the button on the side wall which allows to get back into the main part of the tombs but that's it.

I'm sure I'm just missing something pretty obvious but if anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction that would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

PS - I've checked both undercroft.com (509: bandwidth exceeded) and rakeinthegrass.com's walkthrough (which tells me to 'save the brother' but not where to actually find him!!)

10. FraggleJP

FraggleJP Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I think theres a button in that big room with the teleporter and 6 columns. Not sure if its related or not but just thought id mention it in case.

11. Owen22

Owen22 New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I don't know how I missed that...

Thanks x 1,000,000!!!

12. PixelApps

PixelApps Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Best RPG on iPhone ever! I don't like these cute stupid JPRG with their characters with big heads :mad:

I am planning to release some game like this, I know it will be tough, but there is just almost no great RPG titles on iPhone :(

13. Been playing this for a few days. It's a pretty decent RPG -- much like The Quest and other first-person grid RPGs. I don't much like the fact that every new area you enter prevents you from going back to the old ones, and each area is pretty small (so far). It feels too linear and forced. Otherwise it's a pretty good RPG overall, definitely a steal for free.

14. Kayboom

Kayboom New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    #54 Kayboom, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    Stuck! Anyone else unable to find first bone key?

15. Psychocandy

Psychocandy Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Science writer and journalist
    Italy
    This is quite possibly the best RPG on the iPhone; not WRPG or TBRPG or whatever, just RPG.
    Don't get me wrong, I love me some Chaos Rings and Doom 2, I've expressed my love for Rimelands and also let's not forget Puzzle Quest (even though the iPhone port is not exactly perfect). But Undercroft is a great game, and that's because:

- it's a beautiful, proper RPG: you have the chance to create and customize your character and your party, there's plenty of loot to play with and so on

- it's a great retro RPG: not only the graphics, but also the atmosphere, the enemies, the places you get to visit. It's turn-based yet always tense and vibrant, avoiding the potential boredom in a game where you can just stop and wait and think about the best thing to do; and that's something only great games are able to achieve

- it's humorous. Granted, it's not always of the funniest and wittiest kind ("One Ring" joke? Awww c'mon!), but it often makes fun of RPG cliches and tropes, and can at times be hilarious. It's hard to get bored playing it, even though dialogues are conducted only via static images and there're no audiolines

- it's clever, imaginative and ever diverse. There're your usual fetch quests and stuff, but then there are puzzles, strange dungeons, mazes with block-pushing puzzles... it's hard to stumble upon two identical quests one after the other, and that helps keep the pace up

- one last thing: I appreciated the choice to split the game into separate chapters. It makes sense plot-wise, it helps to keep you focused and never breaks the pace of the game. I mean, once you explore an area and complete all the side quests, what's the point in coming back there? I don't feel the need to speak with the watch in Dunghill again, I prefer to keep on going and discover a whole new area. AND that sets the stage for regular updates: one new chapter/episode/whatever you call it every month or two and I'll be just fine.

Congrats to Rake in the grass for creating Undercroft, and to Jagex for bringing it back to life and making it free for everyone. Now pour some more love into it!

16. SirSim

SirSim Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    It is great! I would love to see retina display support but still...
    If you like RPG's get this one! :)

17. pmckean

pmckean Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Nice to see Undercroft finally getting some love! It always deserved it. It would be great to see ports of classic Western RPGs on the iPhone, from Ultima to Baldur's Gate to Bard's Tale to Lands of Lore to Betrayal at Krondor... well you get the idea.

18. Obscure

Obscure Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Australia
    I'll have to give this a download, looks good.

19. J_Halliday

J_Halliday Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Played the Lite Version...

I played the Lite version ages ago, but now I'm gonna dive into the real thing!

20. J_Halliday

J_Halliday Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    At the end of one of the Dungeons there's a notice attached to the wall the ***seriously*** certifies that you are an adventurer. Take that and show it to the guard!

Justin