(Un)Official FIFA 2010 South Africa Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 8, 2010.

1. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    Brazil just got Tangoed by Holland :D

2. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Holland won just because of luck. They didn't play good football. Look at the last minutes, they had chances to score 2 or 3 EASY goals and they failed. They have no chance against a team like Uruguay, which has some of the best defense and offense in the World Cup.

3. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Don't know about the last part, but the first part is correct.

Netherlands fouled like crazy when Brasil started builidng up plays, Robben flopped worse than Cristiano Ronaldo, and the two goals they had were EXTREME luck.

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Best thing about Holland isn't Robben, it's the lovely ORANGE shirt.

5. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Robben dives worse than C. Ronaldo.

And I agree.

6. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahaha, he is a cheeky short arse. Don't worry mate, I suspect if the sending off didn't happen, the game may have been totally different.

7. Breakdown Studios

Breakdown Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    3D artist
    Outerspace
    I´m sorry to add, that maybe Holland Win for pure luck as you say, but I mainly think Brasil lost becouse of Philipe Melo, since he was playing Against the team, I still belive Melo is one of the worst player that ever came out from Brasil, and last year it make Juventus perform really bad too, after this game I think they will never be able to sell him at any good price :D

Then again I´m sorry for Brasil but at least they will not collect too many stars and run away from the competitors wich make the all world cup a bit more fare :p

sorry dude, but welcome to the club of looser this year!!

8. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I think we can safely assume that you have an overly biased opinion on this ;)

Great game for the neutral, Netherlands 2-1 Brazil

Brazil pretty much dominated the first half, scoring in the first 10 minutes via a great through ball which was cooly finished by Robinho. Holland never really showed up in the first 45 minutes, so Brazil mostly just kept possession.

Then in the second half, Holland got the lucky break that they needed, and scored thanks to an own goal by Felipe Melo. It was mostly Cesar, the keeper's fault though, as he missed the ball completely and only succeeded in bumping into Melo, whom the ball flicked off into his own net. It was basically all downhill for Brazil after that.

It was all Holland after that, as they got their spirit and determination back after the goal, and started playing their way back into the game.

Then the second Dutch goal came from a corner kick, and headered into the goal by Sneijder. The Brazilian defending must be pretty poor if you allow the shortest man on the pitch to score a free header like that.

It got even worse for Brazil after the goal, as Felipe Melo, the scorer of the earlier own goal, decided to hack at Robben as he fell over twice before just outright stamping on his leg on the third, which is probably the worse and most stupid foul I've seen in the tournament so far. I'd like to know what he was thinking when he decided to stamp on the opponent when his own team was a goal down and the Dutch were in the ascendency.

After that it was relatively easy for the Dutch to hang on to the win, in the second half, Brazil just didn't play as well as they have earlier on in the tournament.

Holland have Uruguay/Ghana in the semis, which are comparatively easy matchups, so they'll fancy themselves for the final.

9. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I loved the way how he took that corner in the first half it was smart and cheeky!

10. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    And fail?

11. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Yeah but it nearly worked

12. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Yes, lots of fail.

But in regards to your earlier post:

1) I am EXTREMELY biased.
    2) Everyone I talk to (even Netherland fans) agree that part of the reason Brasil did not A) Play as well and B) lost their composure in the second half was because Brasil plays the "short pass" style of soccer, and it requires them to build up plays. Whenever Brasil got the ball in the second half, they would be fouled and get a free kick, which broke down their style of play. If the ref had been SMARTER he would have given out some more yellow cards to the Netherlands' players.
    3) Robben is a bigger diver than Cristiano Ronaldo.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    1) Well, I gave mine from a neutral's perspective. I didn't care who won the match.
    2) Even when they weren't being fouled (which I agree was quite a lot at times), their short passing occasionally failed them, especially in the second half. They even reverted to long balls up the field at times, and for a team like Brazil, that's a sure sign of desperation. But then again, Brazil have done their fair share of diving over the tournament, so perhaps a reputation preceded them. Referee was relatively poor, though we have seen a lot worse this WC.
    3)Being a Chelsea fan and a Premier League viewer, I've watched them both play week in week out over the past few years, so I can safely say that Ronaldo is the bigger diver. However, Robben is not that far behind him :p

14. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    Gah... the worst part is both Netherlands goals were pure (or close to pure) luck.

15. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Yup, very true. Don't worry BRider, next WC is in Brasil! :D We can do some utter pwnage there. ;)

For me now though, I'm rooting for Argentina. I strongly hope that Spain don't win.

16. Breakdown Studios

Breakdown Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    3D artist
    Outerspace
    I'm rooting for Ghana :D.

17. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Yeh, that "tricky" corner was God damn awful.

18. Brazilian Rider

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm rooting for Ghana and/or Germany.

Anybody except Netherlands, Argentina or Spain.

19. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Haha and I would love if any of those 3 won!

20. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I suppose you could say it was all luck, but I'd put it down to bad goalkeeping for the first (which is rare because Cesar has been really good this year) and bad defending to let Sneijder have a header for the second.

It reminded me of Henry and Pires' fail penalty at Arsenal ;).

I tipped a Germany-Spain final before the tournament, with Spain as the winners, and that's still possible, it seems. Both of them have looked pretty strong, so it could be interesting.