Universal Ultra Blade - By Kyle Barrett

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foolish Mortal, Jun 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarayX

DarayX Active Member

Nov 13, 2017
    The new weapons feel awesome, love how they offer varied and balanced play styles.
    Only one question though, does the game save within a run? I know I have mentioned this before, but the latest version still lose progress. I haven't unlocked the endless mode yet, maybe it saves when playing endless?
    I'm on Iphone SE2, ios 14.7.1, if this helps.

2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    There is one bug that isn’t fixed. The turret created by the trooper does not deal damage.

3. Foolish Mortal

Foolish Mortal Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Great to hear! End of The Universe had a one-touch joystick that varied movement speed based on how far you were dragging. It let you hover in place and aim like a turret with smaller movements. More casual users didn't take to it as well as I had hoped, but I can look into adding it here maybe as a control option.

Jstorm likes this.
  4. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Ah, crap thanks for surfacing this. I had previously updated the save system to activate in between level portals, but the new format doesn't have any portals and saves only on death or victory. Will look for solution here- may be a little tricky without discrete break points.

5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #25 Jstorm, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Some QoL requests.

1. Can you adjust the location of buttons for reroll and retire? I’ve accidentally pressed them a few times because it’s right around the area where I control characters/the arrow to select the next character.

I would suggest moving them to the top half of the screen, even if it is inconvenient for one finger control.

2. A better visualization of stomp area.

3. Some ways to filter out heroes.

I don’t know if there is a max limit to the number of heroes in the roster, but I already have 40 heroes, and it’s quite annoying to tap arrows so many times.

Maybe a list with available skills would be an option.

4. An indicator to show the shield coverage and when the shield is up.

6. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    #26 Jstorm, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Here are some bugs that I found.

1. A skill that leaves an anchor to the ground and teleporting to it occasionally causes the player to fly out of the game screen.

2. When the player dies the moment skill selection screen pops up, the game does not conclude. The only way out is to force close the app.

3. The skill that fires multiple green arrows on hard attack doesn’t work on other characters.

4. The area of the skill that sucks enemies in seems inconsistent.

5. Red rock terrain destroyed by tornados keeps its visual.

6. Multiple typos in skill descriptions.

#Feature requests
    1. A list of skills showing which is unlocked. The locked one can be hidden with a ? Or something.

2. A feature to skip level up. There are times when I don’t want any of the skills presented.

e.g. trying to go for a gun build but skills available are sword/bows only.

3. Redesigning the skill where breaking terrain fires projectiles. The skill cannot be activated once all the terrain is broken, and it doesn’t take long for it ti happen.

4. I hope the tree with orange leaves is modified to one of the following.
    a) Does not leave a log behind.
    b) Make the log destructible.
    c) Make the log more visible.

Foolish Mortal likes this.
  7. naghihimutuc

naghihimutuc Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2020
    I love it. Everything is great so far aside from one teeny, tiny gripe. Can we get a big overview of the blades we’ve earned (and yet to unlock) so far? Kinda hard to keep on clicking arrows and just showing them one at a time haha.

8. naghihimutuc

Mar 11, 2020
    Also, is there any point to upgrading past level 4..? The first blade I’ve got is already level 6 .

Also, I’ve been collecting a lot of green shards but I dont seem to be getting anything from them..?

9. naghihimutuc

Mar 11, 2020
    Ah wait, I just figured out the green shards. my bad. hahaha.

10. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    I think I need to make that level up bar larger and more obviously related to the green shards. A few other testers have missed the relationship between green gems and level ups.

naghihimutuc likes this.
  11. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for the continued feedback and bug reports! I have another build coming this weekend that, if bug free, means the game is ready for launch. QOL Improvements and fixes will still be getting made along way of course.

12. naghihimutuc

Mar 11, 2020
    So far so good sir, I think just small UI adjustments here and there! I kinda got it already, though I’m still not to clear on why leveling up past level 4 (once you get all the equipment loadout for that blade) is a plus hahaha. Is there anything more after level 4 and any clear advantages for past that? More loot? Harder enemies?

13. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Good to hear! You get a random consumable bonus every time you level past 4. I may eventually use levels to unlock new content (like you're suggesting), or synergize with new skills, but that will probably be a post-launch update.

14. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    There are many skills that leveling up don’t do what the description says, or only the first level seems to take effect.

Also, the bugs I reported here are still in the game with the latest update. I hope they get fixed.

Also a list that shows all the skills and which one is unlocked would be nice. With the limited number of hero slots and no information on the list of skills, there is a good chance that many players would not notice that there are skills that they don’t even know the existence.

15. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Looking back over your feedback + bugs to see what I missed. Some qol stuff I have marked, but may take a bit to find the right solve since this game is using some older menu code that I need to update. Right now I'm thinking that, for launch, I'll expand the hero slot count (to ensure all skills can be acquired) + speed up menu navigation.

16. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Alright we're getting ready for release! Feb 2023 (2.99 iOS/Android). I appreciate all the help and patience. Still have a few issues to clean up before launch, and there are also some significant new features for anyone who wants to help me troubleshoot:
    • 24 new challenge gauntlets that change the meta (like swords only, enemies deal double damage, etc).
    • 15 new Relics that can be unlocked and equipped (max of 2 at any time). Relics change how characters work, increasing things like melee damage, drop rates, or enemy strength.

Cheers! Thanks to everyone again for all of the support.

decript and Jstorm like this.
  17. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #37 tops2, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    The game feels fun but tough. I like the different skills and the tactical feeling. The upgrade loop starts off strong.

There’s enough things that’s unclear though. I still don’t know what Azure cores are. Maybe either have a page with all the tips. Or in options screen, let people cycle through the tips.

I have a player at level 10 and can’t tell if he’s any stronger. I kinda find there to be too many characters. It looks like they’re just different combination of skills? Maybe we can have one character that starts with random skills? Or one additional character where people can pick their own skills? Or maybe a character where people can choose up to 4 random skills (depending on character level) from the same list of 3.

The challenges are…challenging. Lol. I’m still trying to find a character to tackle the challenges.

If I find anything else, I’ll report back here or on TestFlight.

Foolish Mortal likes this.
  18. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #38 tops2, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    I usually don't want to double post..but since the dev liked my previous post, want to make a new post to make sure its seen..

Kinda feel like I've reached my skill cap for the game. For the first set of stages, I've reached waves 16/15/13/1. The first set of challenges I can barely survive wave 1 with the characters I've tried. I definitely reached my skill cap and have the "bad" feeling of not being able to unlock anymore. At the moment, feels like I need a breakthrough in improving my skill.

My 2 recommendation is either lower the difficulty of each challenge stage or decrease the unlock requirement. Or unlock the challenges by tracking 2 (or more) things...the current way of unlocks in addition to another way to unlock. Maybe unlocking more blades to unlock more and more stages. Or the total number of games played? This way, it won't feel like a portion of the game will be gated off despite people paying for the game. This way, people can feel like they have access to the whole game even if they can't make it pass 1 or two waves.

The relics are fine..but kinda like the challenges, I don't see myself unlocking all the relics. It almost feels like a lot of relics will unlock once players get good enough to unlock them. Otherwise, like challenges, I don't see myself unlocking the rest of them. (I've unlocked 4).

Not quite sure how other's are finding the difficulty of the challenges or the ease/difficulty of unlocking the relics.

Going back..I see how each character is different. Kinda like others, it seems like there's too many characters and I can't remember what each of them do.
    Don't know if it's possible to have alternative way to select heroes..maybe with a vertical scrolling list so I know where I reach the top/bottom of the list. Maybe each line can have the picture/name of hero, the 4 skills and the level...and the top of the screen still have 4 bigger skills boxes so when players "touch" a hero, the top of the screen can still show the 4 skills and lets players see the description of the skills.
    The way the list is right now, its nice I can see the heroes..but its hard for me to remember the names so sometimes I don't realize I already scrolled past the "end" of the list and its cycling again.

Otherwise, the game is still really fun but definitely difficult.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I guess if the game is balanced the way it is now, personally it feels like the only thing that will keep me coming back is unlocking more blades and play though the first 3 stages. I've just play tested for about ~3 days at night after kids to to sleep and already feel the "end" arriving already. Main reason is unable to unlock more challenges. Also, I do still kinda wish the character can level up a bit faster to gain more skills so I'd feel more of a draw to experiment with different character builds. Guess going by games like Vampire Survivors (and others), the rate of leveling up is fast to the point I don't mind experimenting with different builds.

19. Foolish Mortal

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for your feedback! Relics and challenges are the newest component added to the game, and they're meant to support one another (relics make it easier to beat challenges which then let you unlock more relics, etc). I know it's not quite there yet- and this is going to help me narrow in on what i need to adjust before launch (lower initial difficulties, reduced requirements for challenge arena unlocks, earlier relic unlocks, etc). It's especially helpful to see where your skill cap was. I'm seeing that as a common breakpoint I need to assist players in getting past.

I'm working on a grid/quick select for characters, but that may not get in before feb 23 since it's turning out to be one of the trickier elements to make look and work good atm.

decript and tops2 like this.
  20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Played the updated version. For the most part, the beginning is easier for the challenge modes. I've made more progress for some of the missions. I'll list page by page the waves I got up to:

Page 1: 26/15/17/1
    Page 2: 10/2/6/12
    Page 3: 10/17/10/13

I haven't unlocked the others challenges.

I really wish there was an "index" of the terms, icon or picture of the terms, and better explanation if the skills. As a few have mentioned, even know I'm still confused at some things.

I mentioned on the TestFlight report...seems like there's a bug with the relic that increases gold. When it works, it gives 3-5 gold within seconds of each other. Then it doesn't work for maybe 5-10 minutes and no gold spawns.

The levels for characters before this update seems to not be working correctly. Some blades levels are stuck what whatever level they're on, with the numerator/denominator not changing. It shows the "+exp" but the actual exp doesn't change. I tried using the gold to increase level..but no effect.

Personally for me, for the launch, I'd prioritize an index of the terms and currencies and what they do, followed by giving players a way to read the tips. It's starting to get frustrating when skills don't do what I expect or general confusion.

For instance, "Corebuster" mentions "Slashed power cores generate energy projectiles". What's "slashed power cores" (no idea what this is) and what's "energy projectiles" (I'm guessing it's bullets)? Are "runes" mentioned in different skills "mines"? Some skills mention "slashing". Is "slashing" the "light attacks"? If so, maybe in the configuration's controls tab, the description can be lDrag to move and Slash."

I don't want to sound too harsh as the game is really enjoyable. Just hoping things can be cleared up.