iPhone Ultimate General: Gettysburg (by Game Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    +1

I expected that Online play wasn't included, but I did expect to have a skirmish mode.

I hope they'll sell enough copies to make viable an update that includes skirmish mode.

Anyway, game 100% recommended. RTS well done, I hope to see a TA review soon enough, because the game deserves it! :)

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Ultimate General: Gettysburg was successfully nominated for Touch Arcade Forum Members' Game of the Week. If this was your favorite game this week you can vote by clicking here.

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    This is definitely my choice.. Silky smooth interface.. Wish there was more content and MP but I'm satisfied none the less

4. Tylerdarden

Tylerdarden Active Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Sweden
    I just saw videos on youtube, such a great game but.....for Multiplayer! And why would they go/upload and not include MP? I don't get it. The pc version already has MP
    Anyways, hopefuly they'll soon update MP as well

5. Lhonster

Lhonster Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Baracus,

The red circles on the enemies are the unit that your currently "highlighted" unit is targeting....or will fire at.

Cavalry and Skirmishers are tricky, because they seem to be more designed to do hit and run attacks. I really struggled in the "Cavalry Raid" mission, but eventually was able to get by it by luring in a unit and then pretty much surrounding it with the cav and skirmisher units. After doing this to two units I was able to get enough kills. But to figure this out, it took me 3-4 tries. I think that was my least favorite battle.

Fortify allows your guys to find or build some simple defenses, and "Charge" is good for getting your unit into hand-to-hand combat....as the AI has the rebels constantly doing. I find hand-to-hand combat a mixed bag, but love to do it whenever I can against the artillery. I had hoped the cavalry would be better at this, but I've had some problems with them flanking and then attacking cannons.

Fun stuff, but definitely chaotic when there are many units.

I'm stuck on the "Night Defense" for the Union right now.

6. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    On sale for $3.99! And a must-have at that price.

7. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Oh,nice surprise.Think i'm gonna get it now even if i still have a shitload of unplayed games :rolleyes:

Is there any replay value after you figured out the best strategies for each mission?But even if not,doesn't really matter for this price.

8. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice I brought this durning the sale

9. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Replay value... Depends how much you enjoy the game I guess!! There is a hard setting so you could play through again. Or just play campaign again on any difficulty. The AI is so dynamic that the battles will always be different.

10. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Thanks for your answer,i already bought it anyway ;)

Had not mu time to play though

11. Dahaka

Dahaka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I want to play this game, but I'm stuck deciding to go for the pc or iOS version. Now they are on sale so the difference is not that big, €4 on iOS vs €6 on steam. Any of you guys have experience on both? What is the major difference in gameplay graphics and content? I cannot find any good sources on this.

12. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I'd say go for the pic version. I don't have a pc just my iPhone and iPad but the big difference I've read is that the pic version has a skirmish style mode which would add a great deal more gameplay to it.
    Don't get me wrong it's a brilliant game on iPad mini retina (that's what I'm using)
    But I would have loved some kind of skirmish mode.

13. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Does anybody know a good guide I could use?

14. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I used the steam guide. Just type Ultimate general Gettysburg manual steam.

15. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Was going to buy but now they doubled what they wanted for the game 2 days ago

16. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

More like they halved the amount they were selling it for for a few days, and you missed it.
    It's well worth the price or double tbh.

17. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

Here's your chance. The game is 50% off again. I just bought it recently at this discount. You should be doing the same as me ;)

18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    On Facebook they are saying that Apple pulled this game from the App Store because of the Confederate flag.

19. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    That's just nuts....it's a Civil War game! Apple needs to pay more attention to context when they decide to censor something. It's amazing they haven't pulled all the WWII games from the App Store as well. What a horrible way to treat such a great game.

20. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

That's just stupid. I recently bought the game. Does this mean there won't be anymore updates? screw this. Apple yanking this app because of a confederate flag is uncalled for. It's a civil war game. Do they want the confederate to use the rainbow flag instead? How repulsive :mad:

I hope the game will be back soon or I'm asking for a refund. Or maybe I will let the studio keep the money. They did an amazing job on this game and it isn't their fault the game was pulled. I'm beginning to think Apple is manage by chimpanzees with party hat. This game has nothing to do with that Charleston church massacre. Neither is the game condoning such action

:mad::mad::mad::mad::(