iPhone Ultimate General: Gettysburg (by Game Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 21, 2015.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
  2. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Fantastic game! Very immersive even though i usually dont enjoy 19th warfare that much

3. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    It's a wild looking some. I bought it for my Mac but never actually played it. I hate when I do that. Buy a game and not play it, I bet 95% of the games I have are ones I bought ran once and never played again

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012

Most of the games I buy I play a lot of, some I finish and some I go back to regularly. The thing is ios gaming is so cheap and you can get simialr enjoyment to a console where many games cost $80 upwards.

I have a PC, an IPad Air and a PS4 and I enjoy all of them. There's just so much available and it's getting better and better on ios and it's so cheap.

5. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Brilliant. Looking forward to kicking some Southern butt!!

6. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    This game is hectic to say the least.. Love it.. It screams of online multilayer..

Attached Files:

7. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    #27 Jim Shorts, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    I really like turn-based games... that said, based on a great review by Barracus and some gameplay videos dropped on here, and the fact that I've only really liked Kessen as an rts (this plays a bit like Kessen), I downoaded this and I'm not disappointed.

Thanks for the heads up guys... I'm really glad I read the forum or I would have passed this one up.

8. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I also like turn-based (war)games, and I have most of them. That s why I'm not planning on buying this game because as far as I can see this is a real time strategy game and I don't like games that are sometimes a bit hectic and chaotic. Can you save progress in a game?
    I don't think so.
    I also like rock, paper, scissor games with units with a lot of statistics and ... I really need time to plan certain moves.

My favorite game of the moment is pike and shot ... Correct me if I am wrong but Pike and shot is IMO a game that is completely the opposite of this game.

9. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I don't think the difference is so extreme from a TBS with this game. As I said above, you can pause the game and issue next commands at your own pace so it's sort of hybrid turn based :)

The game doesn't move so fast anyway. It's very graceful in how the battle evolves fluidly, you don't need to move everything all the time, resting restores morale so you do need to tread slowly sometimes. Also your own generals of each Batallion will control to some extent so to be efficient you don't need to micro manage as much as in any other RTS I've tried.

Main point of difference being this game flows so dynamically, situations unfold in a beautifully animated way. It's not stuck to a grid, much more natural and organic positioning. It does get hectic for sure, but it's a symptom of the amazing AI, and needing to change your plan if things don't go as you predicted!

I didn't play Pike & Shot myself (I have played other Slitherine games though, and loads of TBS of course) and I would say if you like those kinds of mass-scale troop battles in particular like in P&S, you really should give this a go too.

I take your point about scissors/stones and stats. There is an equivalent here I guess but it's connected with how you USE the units (cover, viewable targeting ranges), not just what kind they are up against.

Quite honestly this is a rare game. So, so good. I think you owe it to yourself to play this unique, fun, polished, intriguing, lively, beautiful, epic and amazing game :)

10. Baracus

No worries. Maybe you can also advise D1vi8 if a non RTS fan would like it? I think yes.

11. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Personally i have not gotten the game. but i have seriously read a lot of good praise about this game (prior to comments from this forum as this game was out on PC/Mac since last year). In fact I have always wanted to get it on PC but since I heard that it is coming to iPad, I reckon I should just wait for the iPad release as it could be cool that I can play this on the move or even at my bedside. But i was kinda puzzled to hear that the iPad release didnt come with the multiplayer component that was added to the PC release during later patch which kinda hold me back at the moment to drop my money on this gem or not or should I just go get it on PC instead. While I have no doubt about the quality of the campaign mode in this game. But it would be more awesome that I can play this with friends too. Really hope that the dev will actually add the multiplayer component into the iPad release just like the PC/Mac release.

As for those who have doubt due to the fact that you prefer TBS > RTS, despite I have not played this personally. But I am quite confident to say either way you should also enjoy this baby as it is true like others have mention that the game have very good pacing. Kind of a hybrid between RTS and TBS. Have watched a lot of game play previously about this game and it's really good as long as you love strategy games.

12. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Pike and Shot is very cool. That said, if this is just a heads up to Pike and Shot being a turn-based game with similar battles scenario than there you go. I'm also looking forward to a change of pace with "Hell" from Slitherine coming Thursday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjY38sETmzc

Baracus has pretty much summed this one up. It's not like your typical hyper rts with constant fireworks to micro-manage... it's slow enough that it feels very strategic, like the typical rts in slow motion. The graphics are sweet and I really 100% agree with Baracus' comments above. He hits the nail on the head. Where the game gets somewhat hectic is when the troops actually start brawling, and you see numbers dwindling from both sides, think of it like speeding up Pike and Shot's "domino effect", umn... sort of. And it's a pretty satisfying brawl... the sounds in the game are very cool.

Again, I don't like playing rts games for the exact same points D1vi8 makes, but this is really good diversion from typical turn-based games, yet a little faster... though not fast enough to be your typical rts game. It falls somewhere in-between.

13. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Thanks for the heads up on "hell" .. I had no clue it was dropping this week ##

14. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    This game is excellent.. Wish I'd see more activity on this thread.. If your looking for an rts this one delivers on all fronts.. Think autumn dynasty on steroids ####

15. Baracus

Totally agree. It's going to take a LOT to beat this as my GOTY - and its only February!!

I think we should do seasonal GotS, there are too many releases to limit it to a short list in December :D

16. Baracus

Maybe if it had pixel graphics and manga characters it would have had a few pages of replies by now :)

Or Eli should start a sub-site called TouchTactics.

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    When and if online multiplayer is added I foresee many battles between us.. Here's to hoping

18. Baracus

Do you have a Mac or PC? Was thinking of double dipping to see what the branching campaign and tilt shift effect was like. MP would be an added bonus.

But yes having fingers crossed for MP on the tablets!! ;)

19. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    No sir.. All I've got is my trustee ipad.. If I had a pc I'd definitely double dip..

20. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I like this quote. It says so much!