Ultimate FPS Controls?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SicMX, Jul 7, 2009.

1. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I think a good control scheme for a fps is very possible on iphone, but as someone said it will depend greatly on the game design too. The speed of action, sensitivity, precision of aiming required, auto-correction of aim, ammo & health supplies, no. of enemies, AI will all have an affect. The best games will balance them all for a better experience.

For example, take BiA and Terminater (I know they're 3rd person, but the controls would translate just as well to fps) worked pretty well because the game was designed with the limitations of those controls in mind - the auto correction of aiming, the AI was quite stupid and ammo/health plentiful. This is why the system works for these games. Now if you were to design the game to be much faster paced, with less ammo/health supplies, better AI and no aim correction you'd notice the lack of accuracy and speed in the aiming.

2. somedude445

somedude445 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    i think a developer should use the iphone 3gs's compass with an fps, that way you wont have to worry about puttingdigital controls to look around, just movement, jumping, and weapon switching. it could work

3. Krispod

Krispod Well-Known Member

May 19, 2009
    What the... you want to stand and play?

4. somedude445

May 12, 2009
    why not, it would be very immersive. dude have you ever tried wii? this is what next gen is doing.

5. Krispod

May 19, 2009
    whit an ipod?? You would look kinda gay !

6. somedude445

May 12, 2009
    ya maybe if u were playing on a bus or something, but im talking about if ur just bored at home or hanging out with friends or at a party or something that would be cool to have. they can have it as one of multiple control schemes so u can chose to use it or not.

who cares if you look gay its fun :D

7. Krispod

May 19, 2009
    I now its a good idea, but. Think your selv standing in the middel of the room going round and round in circles and tapping your ipod. i am getting dizzy just by thinking of it

8. SicMX

SicMX Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Ok, never tried Fast and the Furious or Snail Mail. Did however try Fastlane and while the graphics were great I had a hard time controlling the car. Nontheless i the controls in Need for Speed work really well and after playing it for 5min it feels very natural. This might have something to do with the accelerometor sensitivity when trying to keep the car going straight. I don't know what they did but it works better for me than any other game.

9. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    What about cube controls

10. exosyphen

exosyphen Well-Known Member

What most developers do wrong, is make the control "fixed".
    You have to plugin some code to "help" the gamer.

Let's take an example.
    I am making a 3D shooter and when you swipe up on the screen, it moves you ahead. This should be handled like:

Was the swipe a brief one? Then move ahead slightly.
    Was it a long one? Then move ahead a bit more.

And by brief/long, I mean both the time duration of the swipe, and it's length on the display.

11. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    ok, this is my idea for the ultimate FPS control scheme: movement is controlled by a virtual joystick, you tilt the device to aim side to side like wolfenstein, but you drag up and down anywhere on the screen to aim up and down. I am not a dev, but i think that scheme could possibly work... what do you think?