Ugly app list after game uninstall?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sciuridae, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Sciuridae

Sciuridae Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    I buy/download a lot of apps after reading about them here, which means I also remove a lot of apps from my iTouch on a regular basis.

The problem: when I do so, there are ugly gaps in the app list where the applications used to be - if I had six pages of apps and went down to four pages' worth by uninstalling, I'll still have six pages of apps... just a lot of blank spaces where the old ones used to be.

I used to fix this by uninstalling ALL apps and then re-installing them. Time-consuming and annoying (since it deleted saved games, etc.), but it seemed to get the job done. This hasn't worked after installing 3.0.

The pages half-filled with blanks are driving my OCD side up the wall, and I haven't been able to find any instructions on getting rid of those blank spots, or being able to move apps from one page to another. Is there a way to 'auto-sort' them?

Thanks in advance.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    To move an app from one page to another, simply hold down on the app you wish to move. It (and the rest of the apps) will then start to wiggle and have an "x" on their corners. While still pressing down on the app, move it to the page with the blank spot. When you're done, hit the "home" button, and the apps will stop wiggling.

And, yes...I know...it's a pain in the ass.

3. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Yup. Updating to 3.0 created some gaps in my springboard, and I hate it, too.

Here is a cool concept video of what Apple should provide us with to manage apps conveniently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wfv0OJ1oMQ

4. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I have to say I had my own thoughts on how they could do this, but I really like what that guy was thinking. It amazes me with all the changes Apple makes all the time that they can't spare some man power to make some simple changes that would probably benefit / please 99% of the users of their iDevices (this being one of them).

5. ccrider

ccrider Active Member

Oct 30, 2008
    another way

Another thing you can do now with the 3.0 software is when moving the app icon from page to page, if you hold the icon in the top corners of the screen, it will automatically flip through all the pages (right or left).

When you get to the page you want to move the app, move it from the corner then let go. It also won't mess up your current organization like it used to.

Definitely helps when you have tons of apps (like impulsive shopper –>me)
    :)