Universal Type:Rider - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #81 Lazer Kat, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    You're still very early in the game. I'd love to hear your impressions when you get past Futura.

To me its better than either of those, yes. I'd also like to add Badland to the mix. I think Badland and nightsky are better comparisons than Limbo, but I think this is better than all 3. (I think the Limbo comparisons come from that iconic Limbo moment where you traverse the "Hotel" sign, and have to get past the letters. I am almost positive this game was inspired by that moment in Limbo)

- the level design is better. The way each level and the gameplay integrates with the story is genius. For instance, you get the italic asterisk just as you have to tilt a letter. It's hard to explain, but the game is just designed so well, you can tell a ton of thought went into every moment of the game (its just too bad they didn't spend as much time beta testing it).

- the soundtrack is Perfect -- and that is very important to me. It adds so much to the game. Each level has its own sound, vibe, look, and feel. (Rightfully so, seeing as how each represent a different era) Usually when a game jumps around so drastically between different art styles, soundtrack genres/Sound FX, and all around Vibe; it doesn't work. The way it's done here is appropriate, and feels very organic. It isn't forced or annoying. Sometimes you'll find yourself changing complete art styles, sound FX, and level design even in the same level...but it is always parallel to the typographical revolution you are experiencing in the story.

- the replay value is higher than either of those three. I have a,ready started a 2nd playthroughs of T:R, and I had no desire to replay Limbo, Badlands, or Nightsky.

- the innovative nature is great. The way you traverse the entire history of lettering, of all things, is just perfect. Each world is so incredible. The further you get the better the game is.

- most importantly its more fun.

2. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I'm glad someone brought up Badlands, because to me that is what this game reminds me of, more than Limbo.

3. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I agree. The Limbo comparisons stem from the Hotel sign I'm sure.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hmmm...right now I'm trying to decide between Type:Rider and Duet for my GOTW so if T:R only gets better and more inventive, than I think that decision will be a lot easier to make

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Me too, limbo didn't even enter my head in relation to this.

6. Bronxsta

Nightsky was my first thought, because you're controlling a sphere(s) through silhouetted environments and physics platforming. I actually never thought of Badland while playing this.

And of course the Limbo's Hotel sign part came to mind

7. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I really must try and get back into limbo, I never quite managed the controls and got as far as where the spider follows you the second time, I couldn't do the big jump from the log in the water onto land and just kept dying I kind of forgot all about the game and moved onto something else.

8. Bronxsta

Well I actually played it on PC, not IOS. Was always curious on how the controls translated to touchscreens

9. Typerider is very pretty and innovative, but duet is probably funner.

In Limbo, it is kinda slider controls on the left, though nothing shows. Slide left or right or up down on ropes. Works ok.

Right side is swipe up for jump, hold for grabbing etc.

Works ok since it is a slower paced game. If you like typerider, you will probably like limbo too.

10. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #90 Lazer Kat, Oct 12, 2013
    I actually own Limbo on Mac, PS3 or 360 (forget which one i bought it on), & iOS. To me, iOS is the games worst platform. Limbo is pure magic, and should be experienced ( yet T:R IS better in EVERY way...) but Limbo's touch controls never felt right for me on my iPad.

Personally, I would recommend it on PS3 or 360.
    With that being said, I've read others who actually prefer the touch controls...
    Duets that good?

For me, Type:Rider is not only the game of the week, I would be very surprised if it isn't my game of the year. The only other iOS game this year that's given me the as much joy to play was Incredipede, but I think this game is superior.

Type:Rider is a great 'games as an artform' argument.
    If someone tried to say that Video Games were not art, I would kindly point them towards the Bioshock series, Heavy Rain, and now Type:Rider.

11. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Yeah I know loads have managed to play it on iOS without any problems, it's just for me it felt forced and like a busy game as I was looking to see what stuff was coming and then looking at my hands to do the moves, it just didn't feel natural to me which took my enjoyment away, type riders controls feel natural, having said that, I won't delete limbo as I know I want to finish it as it looks great, and also to be fair, limbo was one of the first ever games I played on a touchscreen so it could be my newness that caused my probs, only prob is I've gotten so many more games since that I forget to go back and try.

My 8 year old is better on her iPad at limbo than me lol.

12. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I haven't finished Limbo on my iPad either, but I'm sure I will one day. I couldn't help but feel like it needed an action button. For instance - when you grab a crate and drag it it doesn't feel natural like it did on other platforms.

Out of curiosity, which control scheme are you using for Type:Rider? I think all three work surprisingly well, but I prefer intuitive.

13. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm using intuitive too, not tried the others as intuitive felt well... Intuitive lol.

14. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Yes. Intuitive feels great. Sometimes when you're put in a situation where there's a narrow corridor above you that requires a couple wall jumps from left to right and then back left again, the button layout works better...besides that intuitive is the superior control layout for me.

15. Duet probably would be my game of the week, though I agree with you this is an awesome game too.

16. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I've almost bought Duet several times, if for no other reason, based on the strength of their two previous games.
    The one thing keeping me from buying it is the constant comparisons to Super Hexagon. I general
    Y enjoy those types of games, but I found SH to be very frustrating and didn't enjoy it at all.

17. Duet is very different from super hexagon, it actually is alot more like a puzzle game.

Plus it has level selects and and an endless mode.

Super hexagon is kinda frustrating cause ipad controls are kinda clunky.

But duet controls smooth, the graphics are awesome, and it has a high degree of polish.

18. Bronxsta

+1 to all this and I still can't decide between the two. Type:Rider is incredible artistically and atmospherically, but some of the levels are much too short and sometimes the physics are a bit off.

But Duet has the same addictive factor of games like SH, Boson, and Pivvot and just continues to build on its simple mechanic in surprising ways with each stage.

19. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #99 Lazer Kat, Oct 12, 2013
    Ok, you two sold me. I'm buying it...Can i get the Installed size of Duet? I want to know if I should wait for wifi...or if it stays close to the 50-70 mb area.

I've been trying to decide between Duet, KAMI, or Har•Mon•y. Have either of you two tried the others?

20. Bronxsta

Duet is 33.3MB installed