Universal Type:Rider - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me how "twitchy" this is?

My hands are screwed up, and playing a lot of platformer games is killing me.

This just looks too amazing to pass up!!

2. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #42 revolverblue85, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Only played the tutorial so far. Gotta go workout, but loved what I've played so far. Intuitive controls are great, the art style is fantastic and I love how you collect pages throughout the level and can view chunks of history. Gotta feeling this will be game of the week. Also, from what I can see there are about ten levels and each level has around 4 sections. I'm on a mini and it did crash once or twice but I never closed my apps nor did I hard reset before playing like I usually do.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#43 Bronxsta, Oct 10, 2013
    37 levels, with hard-to-reach collectibles that provide replay value. Not bad

Just finished the tutorial. Excellent controls, love the art style, menus are really cool, and the historical snippets are fascinating. Now let's see if this really rivals Limbo and Nightsky. Don't let me down, MC!

4. Getting way too many games tonight, think i will play this one last cause it looks best.

5. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Played through the tutorial and Gothic levels. This game is fantastic and smooth on my iPad 3. I love the learning element as well as the soundscape.

6. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    Really disappointing I can not even play it now. Just keeps crashing on my mini as I stated above. Was really excited about this, just wish I could play. Made it through tutorial and just keeps crashing at the beginning of the gothic level...yes I've hard reset and closed all apps.

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Have you tried reinstalling?

8. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    Yep, reinstalled now I'm crashing on tutorial... Great

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    just bought this, hope it doesn't crash on my mini too, coffee poured and my sausage sandwich almost cooked, looking forward to having a play with this game.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im having ZERO problems on my ipad mini.

11. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Installed and I'm also having the same problem on my mini, with ios7,
    it crashed straight after the tutorial and now when I try load it it crashes straightaway. Hopefully an update will come soon as i know I'm going to love this game.

12. Bronxsta

#52 Bronxsta, Oct 10, 2013
    Did you try changing the quality settings in the options? I had lag on my phone, changed the quality, plays fine now. I don't know if that will help

On that note, IMO while none of the gameplay has been on par with Limbo or Nightsky (yet), I've never seen level designs like Type:Rider's before. The way the font is used to create the levels is just so original and brilliant.

I'm only on Garamond. Does the gameplay become more challenging, inventive?

Monster Adventure is fun and Duet is a challenge but this game is such a complete well crafted experience. Easiest GOTW choice in a while

13. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Luckily I still have last weeks game budget, because this week will more than take up double the allotted amount.
    Insta-buy - well as soon as I get to wifi anyway.

14. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    Changed the settings and it worked great all the way until the end of gothic and it crashed again.

15. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Has anyone found the ampersand (&) in the Gothic levels? I didn't know it was a thing until I found it in Garamond, so I've gone back through Gothic and can't locate it.

16. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    Funny, it'll crash at the end of each level. I go back in and it shows completed and I go to the next level and it'll play through all sections then crashes at the end

17. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

Yeah that's what's happening to me too. I've messaged the devs and got a response saying they are aware of the white screen issue and it referred to a totally different game also. They must have another game with problems as I mentioned nothing about a white screen.

18. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Downloading.
    Will give impressions later tonight or tomorrow.
    Badlands, limbo, and Nightsky are three of my favorite iOS (or otherwise) favorite games. So I have high hopes for this.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Downloaded (so glad there are different control schemes) and love the way it looks and plays. Its an interesting idea to have those pages talking about history of text etc, not too bothered by that so i dont really read it but i suppose a nice touch

Looking forward to getting into this one properly, but a great looking game

20. Bronxsta

#60 Bronxsta, Oct 10, 2013
    More detailed impressions

I've never seen level designs quite like those in Type:Rider. While the platforming and basic aesthetic may owe a lot to games like Limbo and NightSky, Cosmografik has developed a fantastic game with a style all its own.

You control a colon, which function as a pair of wheels, and travel through the timeline of typography from the earliest cave paintings to the computerized pixels of today. Each of the game's nine worlds is stylized around a font, from the origins of writing to Gothic and Garamond and beyond, with their own atmosphere and themed obstacles. Yet at the same time, the fonts and their history are the levels. You'll travel across the pages of the Gutenberg Bible, work your way through the innards of moving type and letter press, around and under the swampy world of italics, and more. Backgrounds are collages of information pertaining to the current font and you'll unlock pages that deliver short historic lessons about a font's usage, important figures of the time period, and other typographical elements. Each world is filled with collectibles to find, some harder to reach than others, which offers some replay value as well.

The game's controls are just as well designed as its overall aesthetic. I found the intuitive scheme the best, since it's simple and unobtrusive (hold either side to move in that direction, tap to jump) but the game also offers buttons and tilt controls. Type:Rider is a game crafted with style and atmosphere in every aspect, from the wonderful surreal landscapes of fonts to platform and puzzle through to the menus designed as a series of books to flip through.