Two (rather involved) questions about the iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by postmanmanman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. postmanmanman

postmanmanman Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Alright, so I've got a couple of questions about my iPod. First, some background info: earlier today, I set my iPod down on my living room coffee table, as my mom was cleaning the house. She moved around all the furniture to vacuum behind it, etc. Somehow, she pushed the iPod to the floor and accidentally crushed my iPod under the couch. Yeah.

So, the first question: if the iPod still works (and it does,) should I be worried about the huge bruise in its backside? And the light scratches on the touch side? It seems OK. A quick playthrough of DoDonPachi made me notice that the device (strangely) doesn't seem to get as hot as it did before getting crushed and the battery seemed to drain even faster than normal, but other than that, it seems to be working. Will the fact that there's a huge dent covered in scratches on the back make it more susceptible to drops/future damage, etc?

And the second question. If I do indeed buy a new Touch at some point (if, say, this one fails or if the dent becomes that unbearable :V), how will app transferring work? Will I be able to just sync the new one up and have all my apps back on the device? And, if so, will the old device still be able to play the same apps, assuming it still works?

Thanks in advance.

2. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Well, shortly after getting my ipod I managed to drop it, and whilst falling it hit a table, and then did a few back flips before reaching the floor. Left a dent in the back, probably not as big as yours, but didn't do mine any harm to mine, luckily.

3. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I have seen some pretty bad ipods/iphones that still work first hand (cracked screens, and super dented backsides) - which is incredible. But my guess is it would probably be wise to start thinking about an upgrade/replacement.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I'd be worried if it was like crushing the battery inside or something..but I'd say the internal components are fine mostly.

5. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    Question 2: Plug in your new ipod into the same computer you use to sync your current ipod and it should ask if you want to restore to backup. This will give you all the same music, movies, apps etc. and also all your apps save files from when you last synced your old ipod

6. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Mates got an iPhone with a cracked screen, but still works fine.

Be careful with it. Might be wise to take it to an Apple Store to see what they make of it.

There could be pressure building up in the device which will eventually lead it to explode!

You never know.