Two ideas for apps I'd pay for

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Jaytee, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Alright, I'm just gonna throw these ideas out there and see if anyone else has an interest in them- or better yet, see if a dev has any interest in making them.

The first is of more general interest (I am actually a little surprised that it doesn't exist yet). I am thinking that there needs to be a more fully featured word processing program for iTouch. Right now I use FliqNotes to keep ideas and whatnot straight. It's nice, but I feel like their exporting features as of now are fairly useless. I could in theory type something more substantial than a note to myself, then put it on my computer word processor to give it proper formatting, but I might spend as much time reformatting as I did just to write it. I know that typing on the iPod is not the easiest or best thing ever, but I still feel like a word processor with at least rudimentary formatting options would be worthwhile.
    Desired features: a rich text level of formatting at the very least, support for document style view, exporting to rtf, exporting to computer and email. Some really nice features would include exporting to Word and PDF and if you're really being fancy- wireless printing from the iPod.

The second app I expect will have less utility for a wide audience, but I know it'd be useful for me. It'd be really cool to have a scriptwriting app on the iPod. If anyone here is familiar with writing scripts, I usually use celtx, which is an open-source scriptwriting suite- basically, it just takes care of all the weird formatting issues of screenplays for you. I think itd be great to be able to edit or create screenplays on the go (where my best ideas happen). This may be a little lofty, given the mobile platform, but surely not impossible. I think celtx has built in online support already, which could make syncing much easier, although really, its open source nature is the only thing giving me hope that such a thing will ever exist.

Basically I've been thinking about beatmaker a lot and how if a full-featured music studio is possible on iPod, surely there are other full featured apps that are possible

2. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    this is half bump, half-asking if there are more active forums for general iphone app discussion? i love the games forum here, but none of the others seem particularly active.

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Yeah, just talking about your first idea there. I definately think it'd be great to have that, but it would be really tought for a developer to do, else we would have it now. How much do you think you'd pay for these applications?

4. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    depending on overall feature set, i'd probably pay between $5-10 for either. speaking just of word processing, it depends entirely on how fleshed out it is. if its just rtf editing, maybe just a buck or two. if they really do their best to match a desktop word processor, with all the bells and whistles, i could really see my myself paying closer to $15 or $20.
    with the scriptwriting stuff, i'd expect to pay a little higher price due to less demand, but i really don't know. i'd probably buy anything that got put out.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, I really need a word processor with a good landscape mode and can import and export word (does the SDK allow importing?). Especially for me, as a student. Add in bluetooth keyboard compatibility, and you'll get a TON of college students downloading the app. But like j.... something (sorry :(
    ) said, it has to be fleshed out (I mean more the the pathetic windows mobile version).