iPhone Twilight Struggle (by Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by klink, Jun 24, 2016.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    You are welcome.

Trouble will come eventually, you cannot please everybody at the same time.

-----

If anyone wants to know how it plays on iPad3. Game load time and animation speed are sluggish as expected. The AI speed is fine. Very playable.

2. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I concur! This site publishes a free ebook filled with tips to newcomers. Grab and read it.

Also, the masters over BGG suggest you should know/memorize all the cards as well, just like what people do to Ascension and Pathfinder.

Some how, like Mutton, I wish somebody will port Balance of Power to iOS some day...

3. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I guess this game is great and I've been reading some strategies.
    But no matter wich side I play, I win every game after first round because the AI doesn't play the score card. Please fix this bug;

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    One note on online async.

The game will usually take around 70 rounds or so.

If you play with people in different time zones, the current maximum time limit for an online game is worthless because you will not be able to finish a game playing one turn per day. I believe the maximum is around 51 days or so.

The 24 day limit in Ascension is fine because a game usually takes 10 to 20 turns to finish, but I'd love it if they would increase the time limit for TS, otherwise I doubt I'll ever be able to finish an online game :(

5. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Just sitting here waiting for my Kickstarter reward...

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Look at screenshot #2. Do you think there is any way that could be scaled to any sized phone without meltong your eyes?

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Um-seeing as it will be going Universal...I take this comment back.

<_< >_>

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Looks like the update fixing the AI scorecard issue is out. :)

9. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Update is out, seems the AI not playing Score Card bug is fixed. Happy day.

I too suggest if you want to play multiplayer, set the date to 45 days by default.

Enjoy being beaten, for now!

10. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Considering getting this now the update is out: Has the update fixed the tutorial?

11. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

Yes.

12. jamesp111

Jul 21, 2015
    Thanks CrayonWarrior - bought!

13. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Looks like the Kickstarter codes are starting to arrive. I got mine last night. After two years, I finally get to play this game :D

So far, it looks great. They actually updated it for the big iPad Pro. Haven't seen too many games that have. Played through the tutorial and it runs just fine. They've done a great job with the design of the game, and I think it shouldn't be too hard for them to adapt this for the iPhone (I wouldn't want to play this on an iPhone regardless, but I can understand if many of you don't have a choice). I love you sound design, with music and bits and pieces of Cold War-era speeches mixed in. I think I have a few offline games to play to better understand the mechanics before opening myself to online play, but once I have, I would be opening to playing with some of you.

I have never played the physical version of this game, but I have played a similar GMT game called "Here I Stand" (similar concept but set during the Reformation, so New World Exploration instead of the Space Race/Christian Denomination instead of economic ideology). I hope this is successful because I would love to see more GMT games adapted for iOS.

14. jamesp111

Jul 21, 2015
    Started a couple of games but have yet to progress much as I'm learning how this game works.

Overall it looks like an excellent game, although the AI plays REALLY slowly - taking up to a couple of minutes to play a card on my Ipad Air 1. I'd often check it was the AIs turn.

Assuming the AI does get sped up this is worth buying.

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Seriously? And there's no fast animation/AI settings?

I'm all for adding realism in games but there are limits......especially where my patience is involved!

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    There is animation speed setting but there is only one AI setting.

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Finally win my first standard game against AI playing US +5 and I survive the war towards the end! I was so tempted to play the War Game card as Event when I have 10VP lead.

Noting the "Score Card Played" icon in each region helps a lot in deciding where to put the efforts onto in the Mid and Late War periods.

The AI is very slow when the event involves a lot of allocations like "De-Stalinizaiton". I dunno but the PC/Mac version does not seem to suffer from this problem so I think this is fixable.

Attached Files:

18. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Some further thoughts on the game:

1. The in-game manual does not explain everything: say: what are the causes for a game to end? The physical version contains such information in details and I suggest every newcomers to read it. To be fair, the manual is exactly the same as the "desktop" version.

2. The latest update does not solve the problem with AI holding the Score Card in the last turn. In a game running Mid-War stage, the AI as Soviet loses this way.

3. Unlike many other Playdek games before, the game does not save your offline games. If you kill the game with an offline game in progress, it will be gone.

Bugs are reported but like my inquiries about my promo code, no official reply received yet.

19. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I've got offline games saved - so not sure why you are seeing that. Dev mentioned tutorial game wouldn't save, but I've not seen others with issues and I have hard closed the app many times!

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Here it is, I start an offline game, hit HOME button to quit. Kill the app. And then, still no active game found.

Have I done something wrong?

Attached Files: