iPad Turn-based Strategy War Game - Would be of interest?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GamerOutfit, Nov 3, 2008.

1. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I'm curious to know if many people out there would enjoy a turn-based strategy war game? There aren't many "real" strategy games on the App Store but strategy games typically sell at the bottom of the rung % wise on game charts, so....

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member

I have seen a fair amount of interest expressed here and the Macrumors forums for Turn-Based Strategy. Something like Advance Wars would be a money-maker for sure :)

3. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I would pay big for Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. The strategy genre is severely lacking in the app store.

4. Ebola

Ebola Active Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Over there -->
    Im all over that

I would pay for a decent turn based strategy game in a heart beat. Something influenced by Advanced Wars, Military Madness, Warsong, or something uniquely iPhone. Even if the game isn't perfect, I make it a point to support developers who dare to try something different.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
  6. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
  7. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I think there's definitely room for more turn-based strategy games on the iPhone. Reign of Swords has already seen a great deal of success, despite its high price. In my opinion, if you do a similar sort of game with better graphics (I find RoS to be terribly ugly) and maybe a more modern form of warfare (like Advance Wars), and if you do it well (maybe charge less than $8!), the game would definitely sell well. Just remember, keep the mechanics simple and the gameplay quick and elegant - special attacks and abilities like "Charge" and "Shield Wall" made RoS too complex to be enjoyable in short sittings for me.

8. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Reign of Swords is ugly, yes... But the gameplay is there.

It's a port of a game meant for normal mobiles. I'd strongly urge the developer to re-skin everything atleast, add a few frames of animation per character etc.

The iPhone is capable of so much more, look at Field runners for the perfect graphics / control scheme. Love that game.

I'd like to see someone do a port of the open source Battle for Wesnoth, if anyone hasn't seen that it's well worth a look, polished and free for OS X Linux and Windows(boo!)

http://www.wesnoth.org/ <- check it out if you haven't played it

[​IMG]

9. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I'd really love for Ubisoft to do a port of Heroes:Might and Magic

10. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I was thinking Battle for Wesnoth would be good as well. I would assume it could be easily ported for the iPhone. I guess it would be free as well because it originates from an open source project.

11. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member

Don't make the assumption that it will be free merely because it is open source. Depending on the OSS licensing, a developer could sell an app based on open source and just make the code available for download on his or her website.

Technically if the source is available and you're a registered iPhone developer you could download it, compile, and install for free I guess. But anyone who goes through all the trouble of porting something like Battle for Wesnoth in a way that is easily playable and takes advantage of the iPhone features would deserve to make some money for their efforts :)

12. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I started a thread previously about Jagged Alliance and how I'd love to see this game on the iPhone/Touch or a similar style game
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=886

I would absolutely love such a game! Of course, as always, not some dumbed down or stripped version, a complete game, and you'll have my purchase in a sec!

13. Jesse Arcadia

Jesse Arcadia Active Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Running for the gold--not working so I can build m
    Los Angeles
    Wow, Wesnoth seriously upped their graphics game. Last time I checked it out it was really 1995-looking. Made me turn elsewhere. Looking good now, though!

14. I'd kill for a Warlords port/clone.

I was hooked on that series up through Heroes of Etheria, and would gladly shell out bucks for a similar game... Reign of Swords looks similar, but I haven't read enough to make up my mind on that one... bring on the turn-based fun!

15. mek

mek Well-Known Member

Ive been greatly enjoying Reign of Swords
    and would buy at the drop of a hat another turn based war strategy game

16. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    RoS is awesome! But, as much as I love TBS, I would also really like to see a RTS as well (it would have to be a full game, not a dumbed down port). It seems that RTS and touchscreen were built for each other (drag to select units, tap to move, button to bring up the usual RTS menus, 2 finger swipe to move view......). That would rule. Red Alert 3 for iPhone.....

XD